Two questions

Old August 27th 04, 07:06 PM
Cam Newton

Default Two questions

I have an 2004 A4q 1.8T with the Sport package performance tires 235
45/R17s. I have ~ 4,100 km on the vehicle with moderate driving, 800
km/mo.

1. I had a puncture which I drove on for about 1km to the tire shop at
slow speeds. The tire was not deflated but was running about 1/2 down
on the sidewalls when I got to the shop. I can see some slight
abrasion on the sidewall but nothing to alarming.

Should this tire still be good?

2. I have been having problems since day 1 with AM reception (and have
posted here about this bug) and learned something interesting this
week. I was on a ferry and listening to the FM radio, reception was OK
but when I got off and switched to AM, the reception was terrible. I
was listening to stations with transmitters about 30 km distant. The
reception in the past has been good (other than the some times crappy
reception). As I got closer to the transmitters, reception was not
improving. Then a light went on: I 'rebooted' the car and reception
was back to 'normal'. It would appear that the initial crappy
reception experienced on the ferry 'set' the radio and only a reboot
improved it. I guess there is some MS code in the radio.

The question is: has anyone else experienced this change in reception
via a reboot?

TIA
Old August 27th 04, 07:59 PM
Steve Sears

Cam,
Provided that "slow speeds" were actually slow, and the sidewalls did not
heat up, and you didn't hit any potholes/raised manhole covers/fresh
roadkills/etc., chances are that the tire is still good. After they fix the
tire (I've had more than my share of puncture fixes as I drive on
construction sites regularly - even 2 "unrepairable" tires fixed by Frank's
Tire in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) - check it out before they put it back on
the car - run your hand along both sidewalls to see if you can feel any
deformed bands ("wrinkles" in the sidewall) - if there aren't any, then take
the car out for a spin - after they remount the tire ;-) - and see if you
hear any new noises or feel any vibration from the tires. If you do, then
at fairly low speeds in a deserted parking lot, load the wheel (easiest with
a front tire) in a turn to see if the sound increases. I have a set of
Dunlops with a couple broken bands - thanks to the many potholes/raised
manhole covers/chunks of scrap steel/....etc. around Hamilton - they were
noisy and vibrated a whole lot, but were otherwise servicable tires until
they wore the tread out.
Sorry I can't help you on the Windoze radio you have in your car - it must
be XP, all I have is 3.1 Remember to close all windows before you
exit.........
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ - the AM works on my v3.1 radio
1980 Audi 5k - the AM works on my DOS radio
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - the AM works on my UNIVAC radio
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Old August 27th 04, 10:29 PM
Cam Newton

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:59:20 -0400, "Steve Sears"
> wrote:

>Cam,
>Provided that "slow speeds" were actually slow, and the sidewalls did not
>heat up, and you didn't hit any potholes/raised manhole covers/fresh
>roadkills/etc., chances are that the tire is still good. After they fix the
>tire (I've had more than my share of puncture fixes as I drive on
>construction sites regularly - even 2 "unrepairable" tires fixed by Frank's
>Tire in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) - check it out before they put it back on
>the car - run your hand along both sidewalls to see if you can feel any
>deformed bands ("wrinkles" in the sidewall) - if there aren't any, then take
>the car out for a spin - after they remount the tire ;-) - and see if you
>hear any new noises or feel any vibration from the tires. If you do, then
>at fairly low speeds in a deserted parking lot, load the wheel (easiest with
>a front tire) in a turn to see if the sound increases. I have a set of
>Dunlops with a couple broken bands - thanks to the many potholes/raised
>manhole covers/chunks of scrap steel/....etc. around Hamilton - they were
>noisy and vibrated a whole lot, but were otherwise servicable tires until
>they wore the tread out.
>Sorry I can't help you on the Windoze radio you have in your car - it must
>be XP, all I have is 3.1 Remember to close all windows before you
>exit.........
>Cheers!
>Steve Sears
>1987 Audi 5kTQ - the AM works on my v3.1 radio
>1980 Audi 5k - the AM works on my DOS radio
>1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - the AM works on my UNIVAC radio

I have had the car up to hiway speeds twice and no odd feel and the
sidewalls look OK. When the tire was soft I went no more than about 20
km/hr with no bumps on the road. I checked the feel of the sidewall
found nothing unusual. I think I got away with it.

Thanks

Old August 30th 04, 11:17 AM
Pete

"Cam Newton" wrote
> Then a light went on: I 'rebooted' the car and reception
> was back to 'normal'.

Sorry. My light must still be out - what do you mean by "'rebooted' the
car"? Turned it off and back on?

Cheers,

Pete

Old August 30th 04, 06:03 PM
Cam Newton

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:17:39 +0200, "Pete" >
wrote:

> "Cam Newton" wrote
>> Then a light went on: I 'rebooted' the car and reception
>> was back to 'normal'.

>Sorry. My light must still be out - what do you mean by "'rebooted' the
>car"? Turned it off and back on?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Pete

Reboot = restart.

It is not a car but an assembly of sub-assemblies. The radio computer
seemed to be the problem.

The car does other interesting but not bad things when it 'thinks' it
knows. For instance, I demo'd the headlight washers which AFAIK only
function when the front fogs are on. Later, after I re-set the lights
to Auto (no fogs) and hit the front window washer, the headlights got
a shot too. I tried it a second time, a few seconds later and they got
another shot. This did not occur during the same driving sequence. So
the car thought I wanted the headlights cleaned too. This only
occurred one time, oddly. So the car does seem to think or remember
the last time I did something and repeated the action. I can hardly
wait for winter when new and interesting behaviours will be revealed.

2004 2.7 TS questions Taone Williams Audi 1 August 18th 04 05:39 AM
Some more newbie questions Ypnos Alfa Romeo 7 June 23rd 04 10:35 AM
Questions from a novice Ash Alfa Romeo 1 June 17th 04 07:43 AM
'87 Type 44 replacement parts question(s) Antony R. Audi 2 May 20th 04 07:34 PM
Questions from a novice Ash Alfa Romeo 4 May 16th 04 03:51 PM