'85 Mustang LX: replacing brake lamps

Old March 6th 05, 07:17 PM
J.B. Bobbitt

Default '85 Mustang LX: replacing brake lamps

One's out.

There doesn't appear to be any access from the exterior. It looks like the
only way in is by removing a large interior panel from the inside. But that
just looks like too much work, and there's probably a better way.

Any help?

Thanks a heap,

--
J.B.Bobbitt

Old March 6th 05, 08:41 PM
Backyard Mechanic

J.B. Bobbitt opined in
. com:

> One's out.
>
> There doesn't appear to be any access from the exterior. It looks like
> the only way in is by removing a large interior panel from the inside.
> But that just looks like too much work, and there's probably a better
> way.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks a heap,

Well, you could use a hole saw, I suppose.

But i never remmeber REMOVING a panel... just loosening it.

Old March 7th 05, 02:56 AM
JS

"J.B. Bobbitt" > wrote in message
. com...
> One's out.
>
> There doesn't appear to be any access from the exterior. It looks like
> the only way in is by removing a large interior panel from the inside.
> But that just looks like too much work, and there's probably a better way.
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks a heap,

You have two options, one sucks more than the other - you choose.

Option 1:

Remove interior trim panel. Typically a #2 phillips screwdriver and 20
minutes of your time will take care of this, longer if the screws are rusted
and you have to drill them out.

Option 2:

The lenses of the taillights are held to their housings with some kind of
tacky goo that never dries. It's pretty fierce to get off, and you'll
probably crack the lens if you're not extremely careful. Then, after you
get it off and change the bulb, you have to try to put it back on... meaning
you could just push the lens back into the goo, but it'll never hold the
same, or you could clean out the goo, apply new goo (probably from a Ford
dealer as I don't know where they'd sell that stuff), and push the lens back
on. You'll need gentle prying tools and a lot of patience, plus cleaning
tools if you decide to re-goo.

JS

Old March 8th 05, 03:33 AM
J.B. Bobbitt

I figured as much. Why in the name of Hell did they do it that way?

I'll go for the interior trim panels.

Thanks JS.

-jbb

Old March 9th 05, 04:39 AM
JS

At least there *is* an option. Most newer cars either need to have the rear
panels removed to remove the bulb or the housing... and it doesn't come off
in the front. It isn't quite like in the musclecar era where everything was
easily accessible via screwdriver.

Then again, that's the same reason a lot of guys 'round here kept spare
distributor caps and rotors in the trunk with the wires already attached...
so when someone would come steal the cap (either for fun or out of need),
there was a spare ready. I'd rather have to take off a trim panel than have
my taillight lenses missing cause someone needed 'em. ;-)

JS

om...