TV Tuner for my dads Lexus

Old July 6th 04, 06:41 AM
Andy

Default TV Tuner for my dads Lexus

Hey guys,

my old man has a new RX, I dunno much about it but I know more than he
does. Well the guys at the dealer he got it got him interested in
having a TV system installed in the car, probably just to satisfy his
need to stay up to date with technology, but anyway as neither of us
have a clue about it, do any of you know about this sort of thing? I
have been told that Lexus, and other cars like BMW and such can be
difficult for this sort of thing as opposed to other cars for some
reason, but again I dont really know and the reason I am posting is in
the hope someone reading this can educate me.

Thanks kindly for your help,

Andy
Old July 6th 04, 11:42 PM
HLS

I really think this is a waste of money, although it can be done..
Reasons:

-Too little space in the car to make it worthwhile
-Who's going to watch it in the back seat?
-Reception varies...here in Houston reception is **** unless you are on
cable or have a dish (interference)
-Is distractive, possibly illegal

Old July 7th 04, 12:48 AM
someguy

Andy wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> my old man has a new RX, I dunno much about it but I know more than he
> does. Well the guys at the dealer he got it got him interested in
> having a TV system installed in the car, probably just to satisfy his
> need to stay up to date with technology, but anyway as neither of us
> have a clue about it, do any of you know about this sort of thing? I
> have been told that Lexus, and other cars like BMW and such can be
> difficult for this sort of thing as opposed to other cars for some
> reason, but again I dont really know and the reason I am posting is in
> the hope someone reading this can educate me.

If it's already set up hardware-wise for DVD/GPS (as most newer high-end
cars are) I don't see what the problem is. A TV tuner is just a circuit
board/card they put in, like you install in a computer. Of course it can
only be for passengers or rear seat use but the driver can still listen
to the sound.