2003 Golf - what fluid is green?

Old December 28th 04, 08:26 PM
Rob Guenther

Default 2003 Golf - what fluid is green?

Hi

Our 2003 Golf CL is losing fluid... It's green in colour and we can't really
identify where it is leaking from.

The coolant seems to be red, washer fluid is blue, brake fluid looks to be a
yellowish colour if I can see thru the bottle correctly.

Just another one of the list of small problems we have had all year with
this car... we're thinking of trading it in on a 2004 Volvo XC70 and using
our old 1993 Volvo 960 as the secondary car - my 1999.5 Golf TDI might be
the only V-Dub left here soon :-(.

Old December 29th 04, 07:24 PM
Peter Parker

Note. I didn't get Rob's post yet so I am piggy-backin on Pauls post.

In article >,
Paul MacGregor > wrote:
>My lemon was a 1995 Corrado, that POS was a stress builder from the get go.
>Stopped for supper on the way home from picking up the car and when I came
>out of the restaurant I couldn't get the car to turn over (battery
>connection was loose) and that was the sign to bring the car back and run
>away. Instead I kept it and over the next three years I went through 8 O2
>sensors, one sunroof mechanism, one set of tires (improper alignment
>straight from the factory) an engine fan and something about the seat belts
>that had to be replaced. I unloaded the car before the warranty ran out. Two

Yes Corrados are money-pits. You got out while the getting was good.

>cars later and no lessons learned I'm driving a 2003 Golf GL TDI and so far
>it's been trouble free (knocking on wood)

The TDI design in part must be a better electrical and hardware placement
redesign. Enough to make it reliable. Proof that they can do it. I bet the
Polo and Lupo TDIs are reliable too over in Germany. I just wish we could
get them here in the US.

>"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
m...
>> My Diesel is a TDI GLS with every conceivable option VW could have put on
>> the car at the time!... Way more stuff then my fathers CL... Actually my

>TDI
>> is hooked up to the automatic transmission, thus making it in need of
>> shorter service intervals then the 2.0L engine - needs a timing belt every
>> 60K Kms... this alone eats up the cost savings of not having to buy spark
>> plugs and most of the fuel savings difference.

Lucky you. As I stated above. I think the TDI wiring and is generally different
enough than the gas engine siblings which allows it to somehow be more reliable.
Proof that VW can make this happen. Of course the timing belt is a PITA. I
would say the TDIs are owned and kept more for the lack of BS issues compared
to the gas siblings. The MPG is also a big deal.
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 29th 04, 07:24 PM
Peter Parker

Old December 30th 04, 02:26 AM

You talk out of your butt. I had a dead horn, a dead seat belt (3
visits), a leaky cv boot all fixed under warranty. Now I have a
slipping clutch 7,000 miles out of warranty. What kind of crud its
that? I have been driving VW's since 1977. 3 air cooled and this is my
3rd water cooled. Hopefully when I install a heavy duty old style
clutch I can get the reliability I had from the other VWs. It gets old
listening to the wife say Toyota next time.

(Peter Parker) wrote:

>Note. I didn't get Rob's post yet so I am piggy-backin on Pauls post.
>
>In article >,
>Paul MacGregor > wrote:
>>My lemon was a 1995 Corrado, that POS was a stress builder from the get go.
>>Stopped for supper on the way home from picking up the car and when I came
>>out of the restaurant I couldn't get the car to turn over (battery
>>connection was loose) and that was the sign to bring the car back and run
>>away. Instead I kept it and over the next three years I went through 8 O2
>>sensors, one sunroof mechanism, one set of tires (improper alignment
>>straight from the factory) an engine fan and something about the seat belts
>>that had to be replaced. I unloaded the car before the warranty ran out. Two

>Yes Corrados are money-pits. You got out while the getting was good.
>
>>cars later and no lessons learned I'm driving a 2003 Golf GL TDI and so far
>>it's been trouble free (knocking on wood)

>The TDI design in part must be a better electrical and hardware placement
>redesign. Enough to make it reliable. Proof that they can do it. I bet the
>Polo and Lupo TDIs are reliable too over in Germany. I just wish we could
>get them here in the US.
>
>>"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
om...
>>> My Diesel is a TDI GLS with every conceivable option VW could have put on
>>> the car at the time!... Way more stuff then my fathers CL... Actually my

>>TDI
>>> is hooked up to the automatic transmission, thus making it in need of
>>> shorter service intervals then the 2.0L engine - needs a timing belt every
>>> 60K Kms... this alone eats up the cost savings of not having to buy spark
>>> plugs and most of the fuel savings difference.

>Lucky you. As I stated above. I think the TDI wiring and is generally different
>enough than the gas engine siblings which allows it to somehow be more reliable.
>Proof that VW can make this happen. Of course the timing belt is a PITA. I
>would say the TDIs are owned and kept more for the lack of BS issues compared
>to the gas siblings. The MPG is also a big deal.

Jim B.
Old December 30th 04, 02:26 AM

Old December 30th 04, 01:39 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
> wrote:
>You talk out of your butt. I had a dead horn, a dead seat belt (3
>visits), a leaky cv boot all fixed under warranty. Now I have a
>slipping clutch 7,000 miles out of warranty. What kind of crud its
>that? I have been driving VW's since 1977. 3 air cooled and this is my
>3rd water cooled. Hopefully when I install a heavy duty old style
>clutch I can get the reliability I had from the other VWs. It gets old
>listening to the wife say Toyota next time.

Hippie!!! Stick with peddling parts and get rid of your clutch riding
horn smashing seat breaking fat hippie wife. That is your TDI problem...

(Peter Parker) wrote:

>>Note. I didn't get Rob's post yet so I am piggy-backin on Pauls post.
>>
>>In article >,
>>Paul MacGregor > wrote:
>>>My lemon was a 1995 Corrado, that POS was a stress builder from the get go.
>>>Stopped for supper on the way home from picking up the car and when I came
>>>out of the restaurant I couldn't get the car to turn over (battery
>>>connection was loose) and that was the sign to bring the car back and run
>>>away. Instead I kept it and over the next three years I went through 8 O2
>>>sensors, one sunroof mechanism, one set of tires (improper alignment
>>>straight from the factory) an engine fan and something about the seat belts
>>>that had to be replaced. I unloaded the car before the warranty ran out. Two

>>Yes Corrados are money-pits. You got out while the getting was good.
>>
>>>cars later and no lessons learned I'm driving a 2003 Golf GL TDI and so far
>>>it's been trouble free (knocking on wood)

>>The TDI design in part must be a better electrical and hardware placement
>>redesign. Enough to make it reliable. Proof that they can do it. I bet the
>>Polo and Lupo TDIs are reliable too over in Germany. I just wish we could
>>get them here in the US.

. com...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 30th 04, 01:39 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 30th 04, 09:29 PM
Woodchuck

Clutches aren't covered by warranty! But VW has been known to pay for them
during the first year especially if the cars got low miles. ever see a
customer burn out 3 clutches in 9000 miles? First one was free and she paid
for the other 2... afterward she admitted it was her first standard trans.
The fix was she traded the car in for an automatic.

Old December 30th 04, 09:29 PM
Woodchuck

Old December 30th 04, 11:50 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Woodchuck > wrote:
>Clutches aren't covered by warranty! But VW has been known to pay for them
>during the first year especially if the cars got low miles. ever see a
>customer burn out 3 clutches in 9000 miles? First one was free and she paid
>for the other 2... afterward she admitted it was her first standard trans.
>The fix was she traded the car in for an automatic.

LOL!!

> wrote in message
.. .
>> You talk out of your butt. I had a dead horn, a dead seat belt (3
>> visits), a leaky cv boot all fixed under warranty. Now I have a
>> slipping clutch 7,000 miles out of warranty. What kind of crud its
>> that? I have been driving VW's since 1977. 3 air cooled and this is my
>> 3rd water cooled. Hopefully when I install a heavy duty old style
>> clutch I can get the reliability I had from the other VWs. It gets old
>> listening to the wife say Toyota next time.
>>
>> (Peter Parker) wrote:
>>
>>>Note. I didn't get Rob's post yet so I am piggy-backin on Pauls post.

>>>Yes Corrados are money-pits. You got out while the getting was good.

>>>The TDI design in part must be a better electrical and hardware placement
>>>redesign. Enough to make it reliable. Proof that they can do it. I bet the
>>>Polo and Lupo TDIs are reliable too over in Germany. I just wish we could
>>>get them here in the US.

.com...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

Green Brake Fluid coffee01 Corvette 4 January 15th 05 08:06 PM
2003 Golf, rear/hatchback latch, not lockable? [email protected] VW water cooled 0 December 13th 04 10:13 PM
changing brake fluid, also ABS Abeness Honda 12 November 22nd 04 04:29 AM