turn signal sound

Old August 23rd 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Daun

Default turn signal sound

My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn signals
are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them off when I
should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the dash. Is there any
way to increase the sound intensity so I will be more aware of when a signal
is operating?

Bob

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4361 (20090823) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old August 23rd 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Bob Daun" > wrote in
:

> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them off
> when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the dash.
> Is there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be more
> aware of when a signal is operating?

Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I had to replace my (1991-vintage) turn signal relay recently. The new
replacement is a LOT quieter than the old one, and I too am now tending to
forget the signal is on.

The relay consists of a set of points controlled by a coil. Power the coil
and the points snap together. It's the impact of the points on each other
that makes the click noise. The dealership has only one "correct" relay and
no "loudness" options, so I guess if one were to seek out noisier
substitutes, somebody would have to have access to some kind of aftermarket
list of compatible relays that are louder.

Anybody?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 24th 09, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Bob Daun" > wrote in
> :
>
>> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
>> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them off
>> when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the dash.
>> Is there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be more
>> aware of when a signal is operating?
>>

> Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth.
>
> I had to replace my (1991-vintage) turn signal relay recently. The new
> replacement is a LOT quieter than the old one, and I too am now tending to
> forget the signal is on.
>
> The relay consists of a set of points controlled by a coil. Power the coil
> and the points snap together. It's the impact of the points on each other
> that makes the click noise. The dealership has only one "correct" relay
> and
> no "loudness" options, so I guess if one were to seek out noisier
> substitutes, somebody would have to have access to some kind of
> aftermarket
> list of compatible relays that are louder.

Could always power a chime form the turn signal circuit. Blinker light on,
chime is powered. Blinker light off, chime goes quiet.

Old August 24th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake Tegger > :

:

>> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
>> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them off
>> when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the dash.
>> Is there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be more
>> aware of when a signal is operating?
>>

>Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth.
>
>I had to replace my (1991-vintage) turn signal relay recently. The new
>replacement is a LOT quieter than the old one, and I too am now tending to
>forget the signal is on.
>
>The relay consists of a set of points controlled by a coil. Power the coil
>and the points snap together. It's the impact of the points on each other
>that makes the click noise. The dealership has only one "correct" relay and
>no "loudness" options, so I guess if one were to seek out noisier
>substitutes, somebody would have to have access to some kind of aftermarket
>list of compatible relays that are louder.
>
>Anybody?

Not to be smashing on anyone (especially you) but I just drive aware.
I do the three mirror scan, I hit the two gauges, I do the head flick
when I lane change. Doc says I have great peripheral vision (ie, I
can "see" something) so I pretty much know what's "there". And I
alwasy remember where I left my controls.

But that's me.

Hey, at least you use them. As opposed to 70% of the country.
Including, sigh, my wife.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"Iran wants nukes? North Korea wants nukes?
I'm sure we can give them some. Or the Navy."

- former B52 wing commander
Old August 25th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
William Munny[_2_]

"Dillon Pyron" > wrote in message
> Thus spake Tegger > :
>
>>"Bob Daun" > wrote in
t:

>>> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
>>> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them off
>>> when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the dash.
>>> Is there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be more
>>> aware of when a signal is operating?
>>>

>>Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth.
>>
>>I had to replace my (1991-vintage) turn signal relay recently. The new
>>replacement is a LOT quieter than the old one, and I too am now tending to
>>forget the signal is on.
>>
>>The relay consists of a set of points controlled by a coil. Power the coil
>>and the points snap together. It's the impact of the points on each other
>>that makes the click noise. The dealership has only one "correct" relay
>>and
>>no "loudness" options, so I guess if one were to seek out noisier
>>substitutes, somebody would have to have access to some kind of
>>aftermarket
>>list of compatible relays that are louder.
>>
>>Anybody?

> Not to be smashing on anyone (especially you) but I just drive aware.
> I do the three mirror scan, I hit the two gauges, I do the head flick
> when I lane change. Doc says I have great peripheral vision (ie, I
> can "see" something) so I pretty much know what's "there". And I
> alwasy remember where I left my controls.
>
> But that's me.
>
> Hey, at least you use them. As opposed to 70% of the country.
> Including, sigh, my wife.
> --
>
> - dillon I am not invalid
>
> "Iran wants nukes? North Korea wants nukes?
> I'm sure we can give them some. Or the Navy."
>
> - former B52 wing commander

Thanks for your service and keeping my ass safe....but what does good
peripheral vision have to do with forgetting to kill your turn signal
because you can't hear it clicking?

Old August 25th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Dillon Pyron > wrote in
:

> Not to be smashing on anyone (especially you) but I just drive aware.
> I do the three mirror scan, I hit the two gauges, I do the head flick
> when I lane change. Doc says I have great peripheral vision (ie, I
> can "see" something) so I pretty much know what's "there". And I
> alwasy remember where I left my controls.
>
> But that's me.
>
> Hey, at least you use them. As opposed to 70% of the country.
> Including, sigh, my wife.

Actually, I find myself forgetting I have the signal on mostly in the case
of sitting at a light waiting to turn. Realizing I'm not hearing the
clicking noise of the signal, I glance down at the dash, only to realize
then that I /did/ have it on after all.

My one working ear is poor, so some sounds are almost inaudible (even with
the hearing aid). My new turn signal relay's clicking is one of those
sounds.

Old August 25th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Bob Daun wrote:
> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them off
> when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the dash. Is
> there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be more aware of
> when a signal is operating?
>
> Bob

> signature database 4361 (20090823) __________

> http://www.eset.com

I have this trouble too but mostly due to poor hearing. I've considered
putting a small light, maybe on the dash?, that would give me a visual
more in my normal line of sight. But the thought of tearing into the
wiring under the dash keeps causing me to move on to other projects.
Remember the old Cadillacs and some others that had little light
clusters way out on the end of the front fenders? Aside from the
cool-osity factor they were great.

Then again, if we could find my old '57 Ford Fairlane all you need is
the radio from it. Any time the radio was on and you did anything that
caused an electrical circuit to close, you got a click through the radio
speakers, turn signals, braking, windshield wipers, etc.
Old August 25th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
C. E. White[_1_]

"Bob Daun" > wrote in message
. ..
> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them
> off when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the
> dash. Is there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be
> more aware of when a signal is operating?
>
> Bob

Buick solved this problem a decade or more in the past. They included
a warning buzzer/light that went off if the turn signal stayed on to
long.

Ed

Old August 25th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"C. E. White" > wrote in news:4a944d8e$1
@kcnews01:

> "Bob Daun" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> My 2006 accord V-6 Automatic makes very little noise when the turn
>> signals are operating. Consequently, some times I don't turn them
>> off when I should. My hand may be blocking the green arrow on the
>> dash. Is there any way to increase the sound intensity so I will be
>> more aware of when a signal is operating?
>>
>> Bob

> Buick solved this problem a decade or more in the past. They included
> a warning buzzer/light that went off if the turn signal stayed on to
> long.

I think that might have just been an attempt at compensating for an
unfortunate characteristic of Buick's primary demographic. ;^)

Old August 29th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_3_]

William Munny wrote:
> "Dillon Pyron" > wrote in message
>
>>Thus spake Tegger > :
>>

>>>"Bob Daun" > wrote in
et:

>>>Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth.
>>>
>>>I had to replace my (1991-vintage) turn signal relay recently. The new
>>>replacement is a LOT quieter than the old one, and I too am now tending to
>>>forget the signal is on.
>>>
>>>The relay consists of a set of points controlled by a coil. Power the coil
>>>and the points snap together. It's the impact of the points on each other
>>>that makes the click noise. The dealership has only one "correct" relay
>>>and
>>>no "loudness" options, so I guess if one were to seek out noisier
>>>substitutes, somebody would have to have access to some kind of
>>>aftermarket
>>>list of compatible relays that are louder.
>>>
>>>Anybody?

>>Not to be smashing on anyone (especially you) but I just drive aware.
>>I do the three mirror scan, I hit the two gauges, I do the head flick
>>when I lane change. Doc says I have great peripheral vision (ie, I
>>can "see" something) so I pretty much know what's "there". And I
>>alwasy remember where I left my controls.
>>
>>But that's me.
>>
>>Hey, at least you use them. As opposed to 70% of the country.
>>Including, sigh, my wife.
>>--
>>
>>- dillon I am not invalid
>>
>>"Iran wants nukes? North Korea wants nukes?
>>I'm sure we can give them some. Or the Navy."
>>
>>- former B52 wing commander

> Thanks for your service and keeping my ass safe....but what does good
> peripheral vision have to do with forgetting to kill your turn signal
> because you can't hear it clicking?

Not to mention that as you age, hearing ability tends to diminish.

JT

Who hates "silent" turn signals...

Sound signal in BMW AK Audi 3 November 16th 06 04:29 PM
Sound signal AK BMW 11 November 15th 06 09:18 PM
Sound signal in BMW AK General 0 November 13th 06 08:07 PM
Sound signal in BMW AK Audi 0 November 13th 06 08:00 PM
Left LoBeam Out, Turn Signal Warning Signal On Ted Borck Jeep 5 November 25th 05 08:05 PM