What kind of snow can a F250 drive through?

Old August 8th 05, 06:40 AM
xmirage2kx

"" wrote:
> I have a cottage about a mile off the paved road. The first
> half of the
> gravel road has 25 degree down slopes and the second half has
> 25 degree up
> slopes. It can have several feet of wet Northeast snow.
>
> 5 years ago I tried taking a Rav4 4wd in with about 6" of
> snow. I got to
> the midpoint, but it just spun on the uphill. Fortunately it
> did better
> going back on it's own tire tracks.
>
> How would a Ford F250 4x4 do? I have access to a 1995 rigged
> for
> snowplowing. What depth of snow could it reliably handle.
>
> Needless to say, I know nothing about 4x4s, except that I will
> not be trying
> my wife's Grand Caravan 4wd.

it doesnt sound like hes trying to plow a new road through artic
tundra, just make it through a possible 6in-1ft of snow. Chains on an
F250 should do that w/o much problem. make sure you got some weight in
the back (atleast a few hundred over the axles). then to be safe get
yourself a pullpal and a good strong rope, pullbar, sand/kitty litter,
and a shovel. keep moving and if u get stuck dont dig yourself in,
stop spinning the tires right away and start using your supplies. but
outside of chains you only need a few $ worth of supplies to be ok
($5-20), and less than $500 to be fully equipted with anything you may
need.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-kind-s...ict131673.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=644385
Old August 8th 05, 06:40 AM
SnoMan

"xmirage2kx" wrote:
>it doesnt sound like hes trying to plow a new road through artic
>tundra, just make it through a possible 6in-1ft of snow. Chains on an
>F250 should do that w/o much problem. make sure you got some weight

in
>the back (atleast a few hundred over the axles). then to be safe get
>yourself a pullpal and a good strong rope, pullbar, sand/kitty

litter,
>and a shovel. keep moving and if u get stuck dont dig yourself in,
>stop spinning the tires right away and start using your supplies. but
>outside of chains you only need a few $ worth of supplies to be ok
>(-20), and less than 0 to be fully equipted with anything you may
>need.

Better off with a lighter vehical the size of a Jeep cherokee or the
like with good clearance and wheel well room for chains if it is bad.
It is a lot either to get a 3o00 to 4000 lb vehical going again in
snow that a 6000 to 9000 lb one when you get hung up.
Old August 8th 05, 06:41 AM
xmirage2kx

"SnoMan" wrote:
> [quote:1138585bb1="xmirage2kx"]it doesnt sound like hes trying
> to plow a new road through artic tundra, just make it through
> a possible 6in-1ft of snow. Chains on an F250 should do that
> w/o much problem. make sure you got some weight in the back
> (atleast a few hundred over the axles). then to be safe get
> yourself a pullpal and a good strong rope, pullbar, sand/kitty
> litter, and a shovel. keep moving and if u get stuck dont dig
> yourself in, stop spinning the tires right away and start
> using your supplies. but outside of chains you only need a few
> $ worth of supplies to be ok ($5-20), and less than $500 to be
> fully equipted with anything you may need.[/quote:1138585bb1]
>
> Better off with a lighter vehical the size of a Jeep cherokee
> or the like with good clearance and wheel well room for chains
> if it is bad. It is a lot either to get a 3o00 to 4000 lb
> vehical going again in snow that a 6000 to 9000 lb one when
> you get hung up.

Fair enough. my car of choice would be a wangler or a zooki (i know
its almost a crime to mention them in the same sentance). Ive seen
them both go through some pretty tough stuff. used would be roughly
$6-7K for what you would need; but if your lookin to bum your buddies
rig, I’d say it will do fine. (snoman does have a good point thoe, if
you get stuck the extra 3ooo lbs will not be your friend)
Old August 9th 05, 01:46 PM

You don't day how wide your road is, which can be important also. If it
is wide, and you're plowing snow uphill, always angle the snow off of
the road, back up, and angle the plow the other way, pushing the snow of
the other side. "Try" not to get the rear wheels in to the area that is
not cleared.

This way will take much longer to complete your task, but you won't have
to worry about the snow rolling off of the plow and going underneath
your vehicle burying yourself.

All of the other emergency equipment the other posters mentioned is
necessary too, but keep a heavy blanket and some matches and candles
with you for warmth in case you do get stuck. It also isn't a bad idea
to keep scraps of old carpet with you for an added traction device to be
used in conjunction with the sand/cat litter.

MFP

Main Force Plower

Old August 10th 05, 01:40 AM
Lupe Esquibel

Ive spend a lifetime driving in the Backroads of N.M. on Regular
Pickups and 4x4s and all kinds of Trucks Chevy, Dodges, Fords and the
Best Security for Getting out of Bad Places is a Long Handled Shovel I
never leave home without one its great for killing Rattlesnakes. Water,
matches,Flashlight are very important and a good Accurate Pistol my
preference is a 22 LR single Action Cowboy Style they are the most
Accurate for Shooting Rabbits or even bringing down a deer if you were
to Break down out in the Middle of Nowhere. If there are any Dry Cholla
Cactus around the small dry branches make excellent Candles at night if
you get a Flat and if you put several together you can make a Torch and
the little holes in the side give it air and keep it lit even the wind
has a Problem blowing it out. Of Course A good Sleeping Bag and plenty
of water is a must and a good knife and Dagger. A good Tool Box with
Tools and Hammer dont hurt either. I use a ski pole as a Walking Stick
and it has come in Handy for hiking and rustling the plants in front of
you to keep from getting Snake bit and to kill Snakes and even for
protection from Bad People who you might just happen to Encounter out in
the middle of nowhere. To me Traveling alone in the mountains is
Second Nature. Read my Website on here its outdated now since then i
have found the Exact area where the Heberer Lorius will be found and
some important evidence to Solving this Great Mystery. LUPE from
the Center of N.M.

http://community.webtv.net/PintadaKid/THELONGWALK
I COMPLAINED BECAUSE I HAD NO SHOES UNTIL I MET A MAN WHO HAD NO FEET.
EL PINTADA KID ..... LUPE

Old August 10th 05, 07:14 PM
Spud Demon

"toller" > writes in article > dated Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:14:29 GMT:
>I have a cottage about a mile off the paved road. The first half of the
>gravel road has 25 degree down slopes and the second half has 25 degree up
>slopes. It can have several feet of wet Northeast snow.
>
>5 years ago I tried taking a Rav4 4wd in with about 6" of snow. I got to
>the midpoint, but it just spun on the uphill. Fortunately it did better
>going back on it's own tire tracks.
>
>How would a Ford F250 4x4 do? I have access to a 1995 rigged for
>snowplowing. What depth of snow could it reliably handle.
>
>Needless to say, I know nothing about 4x4s, except that I will not be trying
>my wife's Grand Caravan 4wd.

Sorry for the late reply, but it seems nobody has addressed the hill issue.

A 25-degree slope is huge. You need a coefficient of friction of at least
46 to be able to stop on the downslope. I don't think you'll get that
without chains. Don't try it without chains unless you have a straight run
afterwards where you can decellerate.

For the upslope, you simply need to get a running start. If you make it
halfway up the hill, you need to go sqrt(2) times faster on your next try.
(sqrt(2) = 1.414).

So, how high are the hills on each end?
1/2 * m * v^2 = m * h * g

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old August 10th 05, 10:54 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On 10 Aug 2005 15:38:10 -0400, SnoMan >
wrote:

>I would not angle plow a lane in deep snow as a beginner because I
>have seen heavy snow push the truck aside off of the angle on plow and
>snow. It is not all cut and dried. I would not plow a long access lane
>in deep snow without a Vee plow if you are new to this stuff as you
>could get in bad trouble quickly.

I have one steep driveway that I plow each year. The only option is to
blast up with the blade raised, get to the top and then plow down.
Old August 11th 05, 12:36 AM
SnoMan

"Spud Demon" wrote:

>For the upslope, you simply need to get a running start. If you make
>it
>halfway up the hill, you need to go sqrt(2) times faster on your next
>try.
>(sqrt(2) = 1.414).
>
>So, how high are the hills on each end?
>1/2 * m * v^2 = m * h * g
>
>-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
>The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Not that simple because it does not factor in rolling resistance and
drag. It assume a zero fricton incline. It is these varibles that turn
simple equations into not so simple ones. Good thinking though.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-kind-s...ict131673.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=646966

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
RWD vs. FWD in snow and ice Percival P. Cassidy Chrysler 58 February 10th 05 10:52 PM
Got a little bit a snow here in NJ, fun to drive in... Cory Dunkle Driving 0 January 24th 05 02:48 AM
Dual Rear Wheel, 4X4 & Snow Chains OrygunGuy 4x4 0 December 22nd 03 04:05 PM