2000 Lumina 3.1L Head Gasget (step-by-step guide)

Old December 29th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ctops.legal

Default 2000 Lumina 3.1L Head Gasget (step-by-step guide)

On Dec 28, 5:25*pm, Kruse > wrote:
> On Dec 28, 3:30*pm, "ctops.legal" > wrote:
> , need to know what to look for to
>
> > determine if I want NAPA to do the heads.

> I couldn't get the photos to load. Maybe something wrong on my side.
> I'm a tightwad, but at 109K miles, I would put the heads back on
> without reworking them.
> I recently replaced the LIM gaskets on my '98 GM 3.1 w/175K miles
> without reworking them
> and the car runs strong and doesn't use oil. Replace all the intake/
> head bolts. Replace your thermostat
> (don't use a cheap replacement) while you have the intake off because
> it's a pain in the arse to do it when the intake is back on.
> A few other posters will crucify me for this, but before you start,
> completely flush out the DexCool
> and replace the coolant with Ford GO5 antifreeze when you are done
> with your repair. It probably doesn't matter
> with FelPro replacements, however.
> Change your oil and filter before you start your car back up and
> change it again about 1K miles later. (Assuming that
> coolant leaked into the oil)
> Took bad the GM 3.1/3.4 engineers and accountants weren't made to do a
> few of these by themselves without any help.
> Too bad the 3.1/3.4 has such a bad, but deserved reputation. Except
> for the ease of repair, (or lack thereof) it's a decent engine.

Yes the car is worth it, the thermostat went out which was replaced as
with the waterpump, cooling sys. was flused see: http://www.clean-rite.com/,
I just would like a step-by-step custom guild that someone has
remembered the 3.1L engine is very common, have got a FEL-PRO # HS
9957 PT-1, the thermostat going out caused the intake gasket to go
because it's plactic so I'm told. I have built several other engines
in the past but as I have learned there is always some little trick
that's helps the job and it only comes from experence.

Curt