1INCH body lift, troubles

Old February 15th 05, 02:35 AM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Default 1INCH body lift, troubles

my son and i put a 1 inch body lift on my 90YJ, tday, everything went
fine, everything hooked up correctly, fan shroud moved,
ect,ect,
Took wife to dinner, drove 5 miles, did a sharp turn in parking lot,
now my power steering feels realy wierd, when i turn the wheel, it
feels like a drag or binding, short drag bursts, as i turn the wheel,
"stickiee"
push in the clutch and it goes away,,,wierd,,,
engage clutch, and its back,,,,
,
no noise from the pump, belt is set to correct tension,
fluid level O.K. the steering-shaft, has moved down on the shaft
comming out of the main-steeringwheel assembly, to the end,
when i first assembled, the power steering shafts/pump, i had it
all the way up, ,,it looks like its dropped an inch,
,
could this be binding? its tight,
should i take the shaft out and spread it out an inch where the two
shafts go togeather? it doesnt seem like its pulled out from there?,
its dark and checked it with a flashlight, see it better tommorrow,
,
figured id ask before tommorrow,
thanks,
johnp
jeepaholic

Old February 15th 05, 10:22 PM
Jeff Strickland

I can't think of any direct link between the body lift and your reported
symptoms. You _can_ lift the driver side too high and bend some stuff where
one end is mounted to the body and the other end is mounted to the frame.
But you have to get pretty carried away to hurt anything. My brother and I
put a body lift into his YJ, and it was easy.

oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 12:07 AM
Mike Romain

I will take a wild guess and think you have a blown front axle u-joint
binding up. I am not sure why neutral would affect that other than the
unloaded suspension being a slightly different angle?

Oh!, maybe more likely you are in 4H because the floor has pushed up the
shifter. If so I would still be checking those u-joints after adjusting
the linkage right for the lift if that's it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 16th 05, 12:50 AM
Dirty Ditch Dawg

jacked it up this morning and put it on jack stands, ran the wheels
back and fourth, by the linkage,
didnt feel any binding, loosend up the connection from the shaft to the
steeringwheel assembly,
the steering shaft side had alot of pull on it,
tightened things back up,
checked underneath on the tranny,shifter, in all gears,,no binding or
hitting on any body metal,
looked at all my ball-joints, and u-joints, poked prodded with a bar,
no slop,
dropped it off the stands, took it for a drive on the back-farm road
here, doing 10mph and weaving from side to side of road,
and in straight line, went int 4low and 4high, and back to 2h, did
reverse, in all,,,,over bumps sharp-cornering,
,
ITS GONE,,
,
took it on the highway, drives straight and no vibes or drifting,
,
wierd, but ill keep looking,
,
and no i dont drink or do drugs,,,,