Car Drives Off Ortega Highway Cliff

Old February 7th 05, 01:36 AM
Dave Stone

Default Car Drives Off Ortega Highway Cliff

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/0...cle_399486.php
>
> Car drives off Ortega Hwy. cliff
>
> By JENNIFER MUIR
> The Orange County Register
>
> A car with three occupants drove over a 100-foot cliff on Ortega (74)
> Highway tonight, officials said.
>
> Passing motorists called police at 8:16 p.m. to report seeing the
> fallen car just west of the Riverside County line, California Highway
> Patrol officer Katrina Lundgren said.
>
> One occupant was found at the side of the road.
>
> Both lanes of the curving mountain road were closed for a short time
> while an Orange County Fire Authority rescue team rappelled down the
> side of the cliff to find the other two occupants.
>
> How the accident occurred and the condition of the three people were
> not available.
>
> The crash happened 14 miles east of the San Diego (I-5) Freeway.

Toonces? Did they live?
Old February 7th 05, 02:28 AM
Vee-One

"Dave Stone" <n=> wrote in message
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:

<SNIP>

> Toonces? Did they live?

See, that's the problem with letting them drive. Probably has a long
history of this sort of thing (Linda Hamilton should have known better that
to ride with one)........................

In my family, ours lost it's privileges after I noticed him reaching for
that saucer of milk while simultaneously changing the radio to "KATT-FM"
(Blew right through the stopsign like it wasn't there). That, and I was
REALLY tired of the fuzzy mice hanging from the rearview mirror...........

Peter (waiting for the angry and confused replies to roll in)

Old February 7th 05, 07:45 PM
Lurker at Large

In article >, Scott en Aztlán > writes:

> http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/0...cle_399486.php
>
> Car drives off Ortega Hwy. cliff
>
> By JENNIFER MUIR
> The Orange County Register
>
> A car with three occupants drove over a 100-foot cliff on Ortega (74)
> Highway tonight, officials said.

I see this more and more in the media and it drives me nuts. They make
it sound like the car drove itself. I realize they're trying to be objective
and non-judgemental, but come on! They often do the same with gun accidents,
"28 year old male killed by rifle" ... yeah right.

Sharon
Old February 8th 05, 07:56 AM
Christopher Green

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:59:56 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/0...cle_399486.php
>
>Car drives off Ortega Hwy. cliff
>
>By JENNIFER MUIR
>The Orange County Register
>
>A car with three occupants drove over a 100-foot cliff on Ortega (74)
>Highway tonight, officials said.
>
>Passing motorists called police at 8:16 p.m. to report seeing the
>fallen car just west of the Riverside County line, California Highway
>Patrol officer Katrina Lundgren said.
>
>One occupant was found at the side of the road.
>
>Both lanes of the curving mountain road were closed for a short time
>while an Orange County Fire Authority rescue team rappelled down the
>side of the cliff to find the other two occupants.
>
>How the accident occurred and the condition of the three people were
>not available.
>
>The crash happened 14 miles east of the San Diego (I-5) Freeway.

Could've been run off the road by the roadhogs who frequent this
highway. Or could've made an unsafe pass or been driving too fast for
conditions, which is all too easy to do there. It's one of the most
dangerous highways in California, made even worse in recent years by
heavy commuter traffic from Lake Elsinore.

--
Chris Green
Old February 10th 05, 04:02 AM
Kenneth Crudup

In article >, newsgroup says:

>I wouldn't have believed it, but you're right. When Ortega Highway was
>closed after the recent rains, traffic on the next closest alternate
>route, CA 91, got measurably worse. The road remained jammed with cars
>until well past 9 PM.

Ha! You lie- the 91 past the 57 is *ALWAYS* bad. I made the mistake of
trying to go to Lo$t Wage$ from Costa Mesa that way, and will NEVER get
on that freeway again. The sad part is there's no reason for any of it,
just "stupid drivers", same as always.

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898
Old February 18th 05, 08:47 PM

Aztl=E1n > writes:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/0...s/article_399=
486.php

> > Car drives off Ortega Hwy. cliff
> >
> > By JENNIFER MUIR
> > The Orange County Register
> >
> > A car with three occupants drove over a 100-foot cliff on Ortega

(74)
> > Highway tonight, officials said.

> I see this more and more in the media and it drives me nuts. They

make
> it sound like the car drove itself. I realize they're trying to be

objective
> and non-judgemental, but come on! They often do the same with gun

accidents,
> "28 year old male killed by rifle" ... yeah right.

Well, what are you going to say?
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...mi16fatal.html
Maybe the car was indeed driving by itself. With cruise control and
general stability of the external environment on a freeway, the car can
actually be doing most of the driving for some time. (A later article
says this guy was a retired AF test pilot - but that picture says it
all).

I _just_ had an accident happen right next to me. I was sitting in a
left turn lane on Bake Pkwy in OC, wasn't raining but streets wet. A
small old red Nissan stopped next to me, then I heard that sound of
sliding tires on wet street (a whirrr, not a screech), then BAM! I
looked up in time to see the light turn from yellow to red. So, it was
the Chevy Silverado's fault, eh?

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://automobilemag.com/photo_galle...ghini_gallard=

Old March 2nd 05, 04:35 AM
Wavy G

(Kenneth Crudup) wrote:

>>>Ha! You lie- the 91 past the 57 is *ALWAYS* bad. I made the mistake of
>>>trying to go to Lo$t Wage$ from Costa Mesa that way, and will NEVER get
>>>on that freeway again. The sad part is there's no reason for any of it,
>>>just "stupid drivers", same as always.
>>>
>>> -Kenny

>>I FOUND HIM!!! I FOUND CRUDDUP!!@

>Sadly, he has since become lost again.
>
>Posts from Kenny and his buddy Geoff are few and far between these
>days.

It seems Cruddup has finally been shuddup.

OH MY GOD, YESSSS!!

LOL LOL LOLLL!!!!

THANKS, SCOTT EN AZTLÁN! THAT WAS THE GREATEST SETUP IN THE HISTORY OF
USENET!!!! BBBBBBAA-BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!

Old March 2nd 05, 04:50 AM
Wavy G

Scott en Aztlán > wrote:

>>>Sadly, he has since become lost again.
>>>
>>>Posts from Kenny and his buddy Geoff are few and far between these
>>>days.

>>It seems Cruddup has finally been shuddup.
>>

>>OH MY GOD, YESSSS!!
>>
>>LOL LOL LOLLL!!!!
>>
>>THANKS, SCOTT EN AZTLÁN! THAT WAS THE GREATEST SETUP IN THE HISTORY OF
>>USENET!!!! BBBBBBAA-BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!

>I'm glad at least one person enjoyed it...

Oh, don't worry Scott. By tomorrow morning, (when everywon checks the
newsgroup for new messages), the entire Internet community will have
enjoyed it. Well done, friend. Well done.

Old March 2nd 05, 01:43 PM
Paul

In article >,
says...

<snip>

> I'm glad at least one person enjoyed it...

Do I need to say it, Scott?

Magnum RT highway mileage Dan Dodge 30 November 4th 04 04:37 PM
'97 Intrepid, engine stops on highway George Dodge 6 October 29th 04 04:20 PM
Dagmars, Fanta-Fins & Highway Hi-Fi Kim Cooper Antique cars 1 April 10th 04 01:14 AM