Type question

Old January 29th 05, 10:57 PM

Default Type question

I'm confused.

Exactly what is the type III vw? I was thinking it was the fastback but
now someone is telling me that it's the Gia.

Reason I ask. My dune buggy has a type III motor or it was till I
changed it and the front end is from the same car. This is a long body
copy of a Manx buggy. '66 motor and front. Was the frame the same on
the Beetle and Gia or whatever type I have in '66?

No real reason, just wondering and thought it might generate some
interesting discussion.

<><
TC

Old January 30th 05, 12:39 AM
Ed B

Type I's were the bug and the Ghia
Type II's are the bus chassis.. ie bus, kombi, camper, single-cab,
double-cab, etc...
Type III's were a line that included a fastback, notchback and squareback.
... and here's where it gets confusing, type IV's were also available in a
fastback and squareback.
then another story entirely.. Type 181 was the Thing.

notable about the type III's is they have the "pancake" engine arrangement
instead of upright. This required different shrouding, generator stand, etc
in order to fit under the rear floor or trunk floor of the car.

oups.com...

Old January 30th 05, 04:01 AM

Thats what I thought. Were the type III the same frame as the Beetle?
<><
TC

Old January 30th 05, 04:06 AM
Busman

The type 3 uses a wider frame. It's very similar to the Type 1 Karmann Ghia
and the Type 181 Thing.
Andy

oups.com...

Old January 30th 05, 07:43 AM
Chris Perdue

>From: "Ed B"

>Type I's were the bug and the Ghia

>then another story entirely.. Type 181 was the Thing.

the type 181 was a type 1...

>Type III's were a line that included a fastback, notchback and squareback.

there was a type 3 ghia also...
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2FD52B5A

-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old February 1st 05, 04:02 AM
Jim Adney

On 29 Jan 2005 14:57:56 -0800 wrote:

>Exactly what is the type III vw? I was thinking it was the fastback but
>now someone is telling me that it's the Gia.

The Ghia you're familiar with is a type 1; it has the same basic
mechanicals as the Beetle. There IS a type 3 Ghia, but you've probably
never seen one. Almost everything in the front axle beam, pan, rear
suspension, and engine is different between type 1 and type 3 cars.

Here's a fairly complete explanation of the VW aircooled types. It's
copied from an earlier post from Erik Meltzer.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old February 1st 05, 10:14 AM
Juper Wort

My understanding that Type 3 Ghia is the razoredge ? if so, we have a
splattering over here. Very nice cars.
http://home.earthlink.net/~johnnyvw/type34.html

James

Old February 2nd 05, 04:00 AM
Jim Adney

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:14:45 -0000 "Juper Wort" >
wrote:

>My understanding that Type 3 Ghia is the razoredge ? if so, we have a
>splattering over here. Very nice cars.
>http://home.earthlink.net/~johnnyvw/type34.html

Yes, there are a few, and they are greatly loved and admired by all
who know them well.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA