Installing Win XP Home (SP2) on new pc - best method?

Old April 30th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
P Gagg

Default Installing Win XP Home (SP2) on new pc - best method?

Hi...

NB: This message is cross posted, so apologies if you see the message more than
once.

I'm building a new pc, but as its been a while since my last build (about three years)
I've forgotten the best method to install XP?

I'm resisting going to Vista for the time being, as this rig will be mainly for games
(flight sims and driving sims) and there are still many issues with Vista and many
games.

What is the best method to install XP? If I run the Win XP CD will it just install
Windoze, or am I being wildly optimistic!

The new pc will not have a floppy drive (but I do have access to one if I need one)
and will have a DVD/CD drive and Sata 2 drive, and I will be using an OEM CD
version of Windows XP Home (SP2).

ISTR from the dim and distant past that I had to install Win98 first, then install XP
over the top of this, hopefully things have moved on and I will not have to do this now?

Any hints, tips, advice would be appreciated, thanx.

Peter

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/
Old April 30th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
P Gagg

> I was forgetting about SATA. Depending on the motherboard (in
> my experience anyway!) you may need a SATA driver disk (CD in
> your case) ready at the start of the installation. It's one of
> the few reasons Vista might be more convenient now. That's not
> enough justification to buy it though. :-)
>
> Andrew McP

Thanx for the info Andrew, cheers.

8-)

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/