opinions on cheap, older, high-miles Cherokees

Old December 29th 04, 06:17 AM
Handywired

Default opinions on cheap, older, high-miles Cherokees

I need a good family camping/skiing/adventure rig. My TJ has been good enough
to me that I am considering a Cherokee even though they have a terrible
reliability rating (but then, so does the TJ and mine has been great). I see
decent ones from the mid-90's for as cheap as $3000 or so; considering that
this rig will be rode hard and put away wet, with dogs, food, gear, kids, etc
in and out, I am leaning towards just such a cheap "beater" for this purpose,
rather than a probably more reliable but much more expensive Toyota or Nissan
or other Japanese SUV.

So... how do cherokees hold up once they get some miles piled on 'em? I'd get
the 4.0L with the auto tranny most likely.

-jeff

-jeff
Old December 29th 04, 07:23 AM
bowgus

'96 with 256,000 km ... was posting a pic of the boat out in the cold but
here's the jeep too ... http://members.rogers.com/bowgus/

Old December 29th 04, 11:15 AM
Carl Saiyed

Handy-

Funny you should ask! I have a really nice lowish-miles 89 Cherokee 4.0
that I am looking to sell to facilitate the purchase of a TJ.

Let me know if you are interested.

Carl

Old December 29th 04, 02:45 PM
Mike Romain

Ours has over 300K km on it and we still use it pretty hard off road.
Last year we lost the back bumper corner in a 'mud puddle' and tore off
some trim squeezing through trees with it. We get it back into places
that have ATV'ers jaws dropping when they come across us. LOL!

It is what we take when we have to have the extra room.

Ours has been pretty reliable. I have fixed normal wear and tear parts
and not that many of them over the last few years.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 30th 04, 05:26 AM
Eric

So who gave them a terrible reliablity rating? And what exactly was used to
determine that rating? I've seen nothing but bulletproof 4.0L XJs running
around everywhere.

I had issues with the front end of my wife's, but that was my own fault
after botching a lift.

Eric
99 TJ SE
00 XJ LTD

Old December 30th 04, 10:57 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

I remember Consumer Report's auto issue a few years back, it listed the
Cherokee with a poor reliability rating even though the majority of its
member-reported system by system ratings were average or better than
average. In contrast, one of the Toyota models had worse than average system
by system ratings but a better than average overall reliability rating.

Old December 30th 04, 11:21 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Matt,
Consumer magazine is bought and paid for. I've never read an
unbiased report by them. And the few products I am knowledgeable of,
they were totally WRONG! It's sometimes fun to see how quickly we can
spot which side their toast is buttered on.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old December 30th 04, 11:53 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

OK, that's two agreements on the same day. Prepare for the Rapture.

Old December 31st 04, 12:40 AM
twaldron

Tsunami?? Ok...really poor taste..sorry.

http://www.billhughes.com/

>>Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
>>
>>>I remember Consumer Report's auto issue a few years back, it listed the
>>>Cherokee with a poor reliability rating even though the majority of its
>>>member-reported system by system ratings were average or better than
>>>average. In contrast, one of the Toyota models had worse than average

> system
>
>>>by system ratings but a better than average overall reliability rating.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old December 31st 04, 01:46 AM
Lon

I wouldn't say they were bought and paid for, as then you would
presume that every now and then, they might accidentally get one
right. I'd say it is more accurate they are strongly politically
motivated and totally clueless on anything more complex than a
toothpick.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed: