ABS brake in high speed turn?

Old December 27th 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
james

Default ABS brake in high speed turn?

If you are driving a tight turn at high speed (let's say almost starting to
slide) and jam on the brakes causing the wheels to lock, the car would slide
out, assuming non ABS brake.

If the brakes are ABS brakes, what would happen?

Old December 27th 09, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Adam 1996 Cherokee Sport v6 Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC

On Dec 27, 1:47*am, "james" > wrote:
> If you are driving a tight turn at high speed (let's say almost starting to
> slide) and jam on the brakes causing the wheels to lock, the car would slide
> out, assuming non ABS brake.
>
> If the brakes are ABS brakes, what would happen?

First generation ABS brakes without modern vehicle stability systems
are designed only for icy or slippery conditions.If you brake hard
enough, you can activate the pulsations when the rubber from the tires
begins to lose adhesion with the pavement.

Second generation ABS systems, with modern vehicle stability systems,
would operate differently. Not only are they monitoring the slip and
power on the powered wheels, we are also monitoring for yaw and
pitch.

Now pick your motoring platform and you will see your results.
Old December 27th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

james wrote:
> If you are driving a tight turn at high speed (let's say almost starting
> to slide) and jam on the brakes causing the wheels to lock, the car
> would slide out, assuming non ABS brake.
>
> If the brakes are ABS brakes, what would happen?

Likely you won't slow down very much, because the ABS will prevent the
wheels from locking. I suspect that you still would slide slightly if
you are truly on the edge of traction, although if the ABS is good, you
won't lose control completely. In any case, I wouldn't recommend trying
this!

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old December 27th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Nate Nagel > wrote:
>james wrote:
>> If you are driving a tight turn at high speed (let's say almost starting
>> to slide) and jam on the brakes causing the wheels to lock, the car
>> would slide out, assuming non ABS brake.
>>
>> If the brakes are ABS brakes, what would happen?

>Likely you won't slow down very much, because the ABS will prevent the
>wheels from locking. I suspect that you still would slide slightly if
>you are truly on the edge of traction, although if the ABS is good, you
>won't lose control completely. In any case, I wouldn't recommend trying
>this!

Right.

Without ABS, the wheels lock.... you lose steering control and you lose
the ability to stop, causing you to hit something.

With ABS, the wheels don't lock but no braking happens. So you keep
steering control, but you still have no ability to stop, so you still
hit something.
--scott

Old December 27th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

> With ABS, the wheels don't lock but no braking happens. *So you keep
> steering control, but you still have no ability to stop,

Your wheels wont lock up and you'll slow down without alot of drama.
Anti lock... not anti stop.
HTH,
Ben
Old December 27th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ben91932 > wrote:
>> With ABS, the wheels don't lock but no braking happens. =A0So you keep
>> steering control, but you still have no ability to stop,

>Your wheels wont lock up and you'll slow down without alot of drama.

Not on ice. On ice, you don't slow down no matter what technology you have
under the hood.

>Anti lock... not anti stop.

It's the ice that prevents the stopping. The ABS system just prevents lockup.
This can be a good thing if it allows you to retain steering control, but
on an icy curve, steering control usually just allows you to select what you
are going to hit.
--scott
Old December 27th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

ben91932 wrote:
>> With ABS, the wheels don't lock but no braking happens. So you keep
>> steering control, but you still have no ability to stop,

> Your wheels wont lock up and you'll slow down without alot of drama.
> Anti lock... not anti stop.
> HTH,
> Ben

DAGS for "friction circle." your tires have only so much friction to
give, and if you're using 90% of it for cornering, that only leaves 10%
for braking. (I'm oversimplifying, and it's not really a circle if you
plot it on a chart, but the principle is more or less valid.)

nate

brake and turn signal csdude Jeep 10 April 16th 09 05:32 PM
Brake lights won't turn off and now car won't start shellbellncheez Ford Explorer 4 April 7th 07 04:45 PM
Brake Lights Won't Turn Off Erin VW air cooled 1 August 26th 06 11:50 PM
Headlights + Turn Signal = High Beams?! blee BMW 2 August 1st 06 06:09 PM
Brake lights won't turn off sinister Technology 1 April 19th 05 06:05 PM