vibrations

Old October 7th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CanusLupus

Default vibrations

Hi All,

Patient: Ford Explorer Sport 1999, 4.0L, 6V, 4X4. 120K miles.
Sumptom: Vibrations, the car vibrates while driving to a degree that I
can hear tire iron ringing in the trunk, the mirror vibrates, the
whole damn car vibrates... It feels like it will fall apart in a
moment. The cause seems to be somewhere in the front end of the car.

Things were done in order to fix it but it didn't help:

- both ball joints replaced
- front drive shaft replaced
- front transfer case replaced
- allignment done to the perfection
- new tires with rimms , balanced

My mechanic, goes crazy over it and me too.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!
Old October 17th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_2_]

Shocks?

Ed

Old October 17th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CanusLupus

checked - not this.

any other ideas?
Old October 18th 08, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big_Shoe

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:45:00 -0400, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>Shocks?
>
>Ed
>"CanusLupus" > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Patient: Ford Explorer Sport 1999, 4.0L, 6V, 4X4. 120K miles.
>> Sumptom: Vibrations, the car vibrates while driving to a degree that
>> can hear tire iron ringing in the trunk, the mirror vibrates, the
>> whole damn car vibrates... It feels like it will fall apart in a
>> moment. The cause seems to be somewhere in the front end of the car.
>>

>> Things were done in order to fix it but it didn't help:
>>
>> - both ball joints replaced
>> - front drive shaft replaced
>> - front transfer case replaced
>> - allignment done to the perfection
>> - new tires with rimms , balanced
>>

>> My mechanic, goes crazy over it and me too.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Thanks a lot!

Sounds like you are trying things hoping something will work. Maybe
time to get another opinion. The only time I had this problem was
with a 1992 and it was caused by Firestone tires. It drove me crazy
for a long time before I figured that out. It would suddenly start
shaking like the front end was falling apart. The Firestone store
here replaced the tires twice with no improvement. I then changed to
Michelin and never had the problem again. In other words, even though
you replaced the tires, there is a possibility that they are causing
the problem.
Old October 18th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Big_Shoe" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:45:00 -0400, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>
> >Shocks?
> >
> >Ed
> >"CanusLupus" > wrote in message
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Patient: Ford Explorer Sport 1999, 4.0L, 6V, 4X4. 120K miles.
> >> Sumptom: Vibrations, the car vibrates while driving to a degree that
> >> can hear tire iron ringing in the trunk, the mirror vibrates, the
> >> whole damn car vibrates... It feels like it will fall apart in a
> >> moment. The cause seems to be somewhere in the front end of the car.
> >>

> >> Things were done in order to fix it but it didn't help:
> >>
> >> - both ball joints replaced
> >> - front drive shaft replaced
> >> - front transfer case replaced
> >> - allignment done to the perfection
> >> - new tires with rimms , balanced
> >>

> >> My mechanic, goes crazy over it and me too.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >> Thanks a lot!

> Sounds like you are trying things hoping something will work. Maybe
> time to get another opinion. The only time I had this problem was
> with a 1992 and it was caused by Firestone tires. It drove me crazy
> for a long time before I figured that out. It would suddenly start
> shaking like the front end was falling apart. The Firestone store
> here replaced the tires twice with no improvement. I then changed to
> Michelin and never had the problem again. In other words, even though
> you replaced the tires, there is a possibility that they are causing
> the problem.

Hmmm... I could have said the same thing, just about word for word (cept
it's a '91).

Old October 19th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Charlie[_6_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:10:43 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Big_Shoe" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:45:00 -0400, "C. E. White"

>>> Sounds like you are trying things hoping something will work. Maybe
>>> time to get another opinion. The only time I had this problem was
>>> with a 1992 and it was caused by Firestone tires. It drove me crazy
>>> for a long time before I figured that out. It would suddenly start
>>> shaking like the front end was falling apart. The Firestone store
>>> here replaced the tires twice with no improvement. I then changed to
>>> Michelin and never had the problem again. In other words, even though
>>> you replaced the tires, there is a possibility that they are causing
>>> the problem.

>>Hmmm... I could have said the same thing, just about word for word (cept
>>it's a '91).
>>

> I think all of us who had the early Expl with the Firestones could say
> the same. And it continues to this day. One of my work cars had no
> "shakes" at all, it shouldn't have, it was practically new. Then at
> about 20K the shop put Firestone tires on it. Now it shakes. One of
> our Vans had the Goodyear's replaced with Firestones (load range E).
> In less then 6 months two of them blew out for no apparent reason.
> Never had a single blowout in prior 2 years with the Goodyear's.
> anyone who knowingly buys firestones is nutz.

I had those Firestones on my 92. All the balancing wouldn't make a
difference.
A friend suggested they might be out of round. Jack up the front and rotate
a front wheel by hand and use a simple guage to see if that is the problem.

Charlie

Old October 21st 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CanusLupus

tires can't be the problem because they were replaced. Original tires
Wrangler, now I have Michelin and the shaking didn't stop.
Old October 22nd 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CanusLupus

shaking doesn't change in any way while braking. Shocks are relatively
old but according to the mechanic they're fine. The rear drive shaft
was checked and it's fine. Wheel bearings? This one I don't know if it
was checked, it may be the next step. In the mean time I called my old
mechanic, from before I moved here, and scheduled appointment. Also, I
found an article online about Explorer rollovers - pretty scary!

Thanks for all input. Still waiting for another suggestions.

Old October 22nd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Big_Shoe wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:45:00 -0400, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>
>> Shocks?
>>
>> Ed
>> "CanusLupus" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Patient: Ford Explorer Sport 1999, 4.0L, 6V, 4X4. 120K miles.
>>> Sumptom: Vibrations, the car vibrates while driving to a degree that
>>> can hear tire iron ringing in the trunk, the mirror vibrates, the
>>> whole damn car vibrates... It feels like it will fall apart in a
>>> moment. The cause seems to be somewhere in the front end of the car.
>>>

>>> Things were done in order to fix it but it didn't help:
>>>
>>> - both ball joints replaced
>>> - front drive shaft replaced
>>> - front transfer case replaced
>>> - allignment done to the perfection
>>> - new tires with rimms , balanced
>>>

>>> My mechanic, goes crazy over it and me too.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>> Thanks a lot!

> Sounds like you are trying things hoping something will work. Maybe
> time to get another opinion. The only time I had this problem was
> with a 1992 and it was caused by Firestone tires. It drove me crazy
> for a long time before I figured that out. It would suddenly start
> shaking like the front end was falling apart. The Firestone store
> here replaced the tires twice with no improvement. I then changed to
> Michelin and never had the problem again. In other words, even though
> you replaced the tires, there is a possibility that they are causing
> the problem.

My '94 shook like an old lady with gas on the Firestones. Replaced with
Dunlop radial rovers- NO improvement. Replaced the Dunlops with Michelin
and it's been smooth ever since NO shake at all. The way I troubleshot
it was begged my friendly Ford dealer to slap on the wheels and tires
from a new Explorer for a test drive.
Old November 11th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CanusLupus

Thank you very much Everybody!
I got rid of my Exploder because mechanics couldn't figure out what
was causing the vibrations and the car was simply old. I've got Astra
now, 2008 and I don't expect to have any issues with it for next some
time.

Thanks again,
Pavel

91 Cherokee Vibrations [email protected] Jeep 1 September 20th 06 05:59 PM
Vibrations on a 99 A6 Avant jman Audi 1 March 12th 06 08:23 PM
Explorer Vibrations lovs2fly Ford Explorer 0 June 10th 05 02:09 PM
low vibrations and clicking lovs2fly Ford Explorer 0 June 5th 05 03:36 AM
Vibrations when idle Lars BMW 2 November 4th 04 12:18 PM