96 SL-1 stumbles for a few minutes

Old July 29th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

Default 96 SL-1 stumbles for a few minutes

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 01:32:38 GMT, Buster > wrote:

>Would a bad fuel pump only act up for a few minutes in the morning?
>Problem doesn't recur until next day. Car has new ECT, plugs, wires
>and fuel filter. Will try cleaning the throttle body.

Back to the bad fuel pump issue. If I just drove the car, and then
parked it. My starting habits 'covered' the fact the pump was bad. I
would turn the car on (without cranking), buckle up, and then start
the car. The moment pause in going ON to Cranking gave time for the
fuel pump to refill the system.

Now over night, the system would drain so much, that a moment was too
short, so the engine cranked hard, and ran like crap for the first few
minutes. Since I had my pump replaced the 97SL2 runs very well.

Ofcourse I still get those mysterious "Check Engine" lights. They
solid, never seen flashing, but when I got to an auto zone to have
them checked, the light goes out.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Old July 30th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Does it seem to be running lean when cold? The Coolant Temperature Sensor
is supposed to tell the engine computer to provide more fuel till the engine
warms up. If the CTS is defective and registering a "hot" engine even when
cold, then you might have drivability issues. I know you already said you
replaced it, but maybe that one was bad? Saturn CTS is known to fail often,
is cheap and easy to fix.

Bob

Old July 30th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Buster

Any tips on how to tell if it's running lean? I'm pretty sure it runs
rich once it's warmed up, I get a lot of popping back in the exhaust
system when decelerating. Also, when I changed the ECT there was no
difference in performance or gauge operation.
Buster
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 02:00:03 GMT, "Bob Shuman"
> wrote:

>Does it seem to be running lean when cold? The Coolant Temperature Sensor
>is supposed to tell the engine computer to provide more fuel till the engine
>warms up. If the CTS is defective and registering a "hot" engine even when
>cold, then you might have drivability issues. I know you already said you
>replaced it, but maybe that one was bad? Saturn CTS is known to fail often,
>is cheap and easy to fix.
>
> Bob

.. .

Old July 31st 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

I'm pretty sure it typically fails the "other way" - it goes out with
too high a resistance value. Consistantly, it 'indicates' a low
temperature condition when that is not the case.
It thinks the engine is too cold, and tries to warm it up even when its
hot.
I know that you can increase EGT by leaning out the mixture, but I dont
think that is how it manages to "warm up" the engine. With an over
rich mixture (and higher RPMs especially), I think you might be making
the engine run warmer, even if EGT is not high.

-WaV

Old August 3rd 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Buster

Tom, I tried your technique and it didn't help. I usually just turn
the car on. Today, I turned it to the RUN position, then took the
trash to the curb. After about a minute, I started the car and it ran
the same.
Buster

Old August 5th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 23:40:54 GMT, Buster > wrote:

>Tom, I tried your technique and it didn't help. I usually just turn
>the car on. Today, I turned it to the RUN position, then took the
>trash to the curb. After about a minute, I started the car and it ran
>the same.
>Buster

Sorry to hear that. I was just explaining what happened to me, it
wasn't meant as a fix. You need to get your car to a qualified
mechanic.

tom