OMG! New Mazda Grills

Old May 5th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default OMG! New Mazda Grills

so those pictures leaked last september were in fact the real thing.
it is looking less and less like a miata with every revision they make.
in this case it appears that they stuck the rx8 nose on the miata.
why would they want two such similar looking cars in their product line?

. ..

Old May 5th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

"Domagoj Bagaric" > wrote in message
> Geary Morton wrote:
>> Are they just plain hideous, or is that just my imagination?

> I like it! But I'm not gonna buy one... I'd go for a NB FL,
> redo tires-wheels-brakes-suspension. Do a bit of forced
> induction and presto I'd have a cheep-fast car.
>
> NA is just too old, hard to find, etc.

Not necessarily. Just buy one that's in not too bad condition,
then buy a bunch of wrecked ones and you'll have most of the
parts you need to fix the first one. <g>

Or contact Planet Miata www.planetmiata.com they've got lots of
parts for the NA.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old May 5th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Sun, 03 May 2009 10:18:45 -0500, pws >
wrote:

>XS11E wrote:
>> pws > wrote:

>>> I haven't seen these yet. Any links or pics?

>> As always, miata.net: http://www.miata.net/gallery/

>Yikes! Mazda took the only part of the car that I like the looks of and
>screwed it up.
>Now the rear end looks better than the front, just imho, of course, but
>that is a truly nasty change to my eyes.
>
>Not just the grille, but the upturned "smiley-mouth" opening and the
>large lights to each side of it.
>
>I guess if I ever get the NC it will be a 2007 or 2008 model. There is
>just no way that am I going to make payments on something that looks
>like this latest offering.
>
>Pat

I love the look..It is an improvement on the NC which just doesn't
come together quite right with the grille looking a little low and the
aux light looking like they were plonked in at the last moment.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old May 6th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

I don't think a similar nose = a similar car! The Miata and the RX-8 are
vastly different and different looking cars.

Chris
99BBB

t...

Old May 6th 09, 09:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Domagoj Bagaric[_2_]

Iva wrote:

> Not necessarily. Just buy one that's in not too bad condition,
> then buy a bunch of wrecked ones and you'll have most of the
> parts you need to fix the first one. <g>

wear and tear on the chassis over the years (15years give-take)+ the
fact that NB is a bit sturdier + ABS and you don't end up with a junk
yard in the back yard.

And NB isn't all that heavier than NA. it's mostly abs, aircon, airbags
and other equipment + few safety rods in doors. NB has like 4 stars on
NCAP crash test (front impact), dunno whats with NA.

If you wanna go light, build a locost, westfield or something like that
(like Keith of FM) and put miata guts in it
Old May 6th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Domagoj Bagaric wrote:

> wear and tear on the chassis over the years (15years give-take)+ the
> fact that NB is a bit sturdier + ABS and you don't end up with a junk
> yard in the back yard.

The frame does suffer over the years, but poly bushings, a good rollbar,
and braces make up for a lot of that.
The car at 155,000 miles feels more solid than a 42,000 mile 1993 garage
queen that I drove recently, mostly because of the bracing and the
bushings, I imagine.

Also, all NB's are now at least 4 years old, with some as old as 10. I
saw one with over 250,000 miles on it that was for sale for $4,000.

> And NB isn't all that heavier than NA. it's mostly abs, aircon, airbags
> and other equipment + few safety rods in doors. NB has like 4 stars on
> NCAP crash test (front impact), dunno whats with NA.

My 1996 "M" edition had ABS, air conditioning, two airbags, and
side-impact beams in the doors.
The listed weight was 2500 pounds, which is right about the same as most
NB's.

Miatas started coming with dual airbags as standard equipment in 1994.
Air conditioning and ABS have been available on the Miata since the
beginning, well at least since 1991 on the ABS, definitely since the
very start on the A/C.

If I remember correctly, the 1996 model had 4 stars for the driver-side
and 3 stars for the passenger-side. Don't know about earlier year models.

Those side-impact beams in the door do not look like they add much
weight, and they also don't look like they would do much to protect me
in a T-bone collision.

> If you wanna go light, build a locost, westfield or something like that
> (like Keith of FM) and put miata guts in it

That project would be fun.

Still, there is a very noticeable difference when you take 200 or 300
pounds off of a 2500 pound car, it is like taking two of me out of the car.
Whenever I have had a heavy passenger, the car really let me know,
especially in the pre-turbo days.

If I keep my 1991 turbo, I am going to go weight-savings crazy on it
with the removal of the top, dash, and anything else that isn't needed,
except for the stereo, gotta have that. :-)

It will be a pure toy and I am hoping to get as close to 2000 pounds as
possible without removing the rollbar or frame braces.
Replacing the seats with racing units will help as well.

There is already no A/C, power steering, airbag, cruise control,
windshield washer reservoir, and no spare wheel except on long trips.

Just all of that adds up to quite a bit. I still need to yank the airbag
sensors and wiring, that will save a few more pounds, then cross-drill
the ignition key, a standard weight-savings technique.........

Pat
Old May 6th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Not necessarily. Just buy one that's in not too bad condition,
> then buy a bunch of wrecked ones and you'll have most of the
> parts you need to fix the first one. <g>
>
> Or contact Planet Miata www.planetmiata.com they've got lots of
> parts for the NA.
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

That has worked well for me.
My 1991 Miata now has parts on it from 8 different year models; 1990,
1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, & 2001.

I really like how the parts interchange on the NA/NB's.
I'm trying to think of something from a 2006-2009 model that will go on
the car, but can't come up with anything.

Maybe I can convert the 1991 front end to look like those pretty 2009
models. ;-)

Pat
Old May 6th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I still need to yank the airbag
> sensors and wiring, that will save a few more pounds, then cross-drill
> the ignition key, a standard weight-savings technique.........

Does KaleCo still offer those handy self-adhesive lightening holes? Just
peel and stick.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 7th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

You might be on to something there ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old May 7th 09, 02:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Does KaleCo still offer those handy self-adhesive lightening holes? Just
> peel and stick.

Whoosshhhh.......

OK, what does this mean, Sir?

Pat

Dash Grills For 74 Vw [email protected] VW air cooled 1 August 18th 05 06:34 AM
What's with missing grills? [email protected] Ford Mustang 19 August 14th 05 10:15 PM
92 gti grills twdegraw VW water cooled 1 April 8th 05 07:29 AM
Stainless Steel Chrome Billet Grills. Highest Quality Grills. BilletAmerica.com General 0 February 25th 05 06:10 PM
wanted: 03 tj speaker grills matt Jeep 0 December 22nd 04 02:20 PM