OMG! New Mazda Grills

Old May 2nd 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Geary Morton

Default OMG! New Mazda Grills

Are they just plain hideous, or is that just my imagination?

I decided to cruise the lot at my local Mazda dealership, just to take a
gander at the new models, and I was really disappointed - mostly at all
the sardonic-looking smiley grills. The Miatas looked very strange, and
the "3" looked totally over the edge. Maybe I'm too old school, but I
don't understand how this might make anyone want to buy a new model over
last year's.

Any ideas? I'm clueless.

--Geary
'99 Emerald Mica
Old May 2nd 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

Geary Morton > wrote:

> Are they just plain hideous, or is that just my imagination?
>
> I decided to cruise the lot at my local Mazda dealership, just to
> take a gander at the new models, and I was really disappointed -
> mostly at all the sardonic-looking smiley grills. The Miatas
> looked very strange, and the "3" looked totally over the edge.
> Maybe I'm too old school, but I don't understand how this might
> make anyone want to buy a new model over last year's.
>
> Any ideas? I'm clueless.

I understand the in-the-door cupholders that damn near amputated my
right leg during a test drive are gone? If so, that more than makes up
for the fugly grill but, because of other ergnometric problems that
exist between the NC and my fragile body I'll be keeping my NA!

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old May 3rd 09, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Geary Morton wrote:
> Are they just plain hideous, or is that just my imagination?
>
> I decided to cruise the lot at my local Mazda dealership, just to take a
> gander at the new models, and I was really disappointed - mostly at all
> the sardonic-looking smiley grills. The Miatas looked very strange, and
> the "3" looked totally over the edge. Maybe I'm too old school, but I
> don't understand how this might make anyone want to buy a new model over
> last year's.
>
> Any ideas? I'm clueless.
>
> --Geary
> '99 Emerald Mica

I haven't seen these yet. Any links or pics?

Pat
Old May 3rd 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

As always, miata.net: http://www.miata.net/gallery/

Old May 3rd 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:
> pws > wrote:
>
>> Geary Morton wrote:
>>> Are they just plain hideous, or is that just my imagination?
>>>
>>> I decided to cruise the lot at my local Mazda dealership, just to
>>> take a gander at the new models, and I was really disappointed -
>>> mostly at all the sardonic-looking smiley grills. The Miatas
>>> looked very strange, and the "3" looked totally over the edge.
>>> Maybe I'm too old school, but I don't understand how this might
>>> make anyone want to buy a new model over last year's.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? I'm clueless.
>>>
>>> --Geary
>>> '99 Emerald Mica

>> I haven't seen these yet. Any links or pics?

> As always, miata.net: http://www.miata.net/gallery/

Yikes! Mazda took the only part of the car that I like the looks of and
screwed it up.
Now the rear end looks better than the front, just imho, of course, but
that is a truly nasty change to my eyes.

Not just the grille, but the upturned "smiley-mouth" opening and the
large lights to each side of it.

I guess if I ever get the NC it will be a 2007 or 2008 model. There is
just no way that am I going to make payments on something that looks
like this latest offering.

Pat
Old May 3rd 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> Yikes! Mazda took the only part of the car that I like the looks of and
> screwed it up.

It's screaming for one of those "tooth" grilles. With only one tooth.
Then it'd look like Mater (from "Cars").

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old May 3rd 09, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

pws > wrote:

> I guess if I ever get the NC it will be a 2007 or 2008 model.
> There is just no way that am I going to make payments on something
> that looks like this latest offering.

Better to get an NA and make no payments at all, I suspect you can get
a very nice NA or maybe an NB for less than the downpayment on a new
NC.

Old May 3rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> It's screaming for one of those "tooth" grilles. With only one tooth.
> Then it'd look like Mater (from "Cars").

I never saw "Cars", but I just did a google images search on Mater and
you are correct. :-)

BTW, is that one worth watching?

Pat

Old May 3rd 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:

> Better to get an NA and make no payments at all, I suspect you can get
> a very nice NA or maybe an NB for less than the downpayment on a new
> NC.

That is my situation now.
No payments and a car that will out-perform any stock Miata including
the Mazdaspeeds, assuming equal drivers and conditions for both cars.

It is, however, an 18 year old car, at least the frame and the parts
that haven't been replaced are.
This one is starting to look more and more like an 18 year old road and
parking lot warrior every day.

I cold probably have it looking very nice again for a bit more than the
down payment on a new NC.
It already looks better than any mint NC even with the quarter-panel
dent and faded paint, but again, that is all opinion.

I do want the PRHT, BADLY. That is what has kept me glancing at the NC,
so I hate to see this latest "development".
Because of the PRHT, It is possible that I may buy the NC down the road
when the prices have really dropped.

I stay away from introductory year models, so it looks like I have two
year models to choose from before Mazda decided to go "full ugly".
You never go full ugly, everybody knows that. :-)

Pat
Old May 3rd 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I never saw "Cars", but I just did a google images search on Mater and
> you are correct. :-)
>
> BTW, is that one worth watching?

Most definitely. Not for the story--for the artwork and visual effects,
which are breathtaking.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO

Dash Grills For 74 Vw [email protected] VW air cooled 1 August 18th 05 06:34 AM
What's with missing grills? [email protected] Ford Mustang 19 August 14th 05 10:15 PM
92 gti grills twdegraw VW water cooled 1 April 8th 05 07:29 AM
Stainless Steel Chrome Billet Grills. Highest Quality Grills. BilletAmerica.com General 0 February 25th 05 06:10 PM
wanted: 03 tj speaker grills matt Jeep 0 December 22nd 04 02:20 PM