91-94 Explorer center console

Old August 7th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Christopher Guidry

Default 91-94 Explorer center console

Looking to replace or mod the stock center console for my 92 explorer
sport. She is a 5speed, and when im in 2nd or reverse the stick hits
cups or cans that are in the cup holder. Large drinks from fast food
joints completely block the shift. Anyone know of any console
replacements or any mods i should look into to make this not so irritating?
Old August 7th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

This may sound like an odd conclusion.... It is highly doubtful that the
console has changed it's shape or position over the years... however, the
shift mechanism does have bushings and such that can wear... I would suggest
ensuring that the shift mechanism is in decent shape before monkeying with
anything else....

Old August 7th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Tommy Wood[_2_]

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:47:56 GMT, > wrote:

>This may sound like an odd conclusion.... It is highly doubtful that the
>console has changed it's shape or position over the years... however, the
>shift mechanism does have bushings and such that can wear... I would suggest
>ensuring that the shift mechanism is in decent shape before monkeying with
>anything else....

Actually, the problem is built into the Ford Explorer by design. There
is interference with the stick shift and cup holder by design. In
fact, I laughed when I read my owner's manual and it said that the cup
holder should not be used if you have a 5 speed manual transmission.

Oh, quality is job one, isn't it?

Old August 8th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Christopher Guidry

Tommy Wood wrote:
> Actually, the problem is built into the Ford Explorer by design. There
> is interference with the stick shift and cup holder by design. In
> fact, I laughed when I read my owner's manual and it said that the cup
> holder should not be used if you have a 5 speed manual transmission.
>
> Oh, quality is job one, isn't it?

That just made me laugh a little too. Guess i could always head to the
pick-n-pull after take down some measurements and seeing if any other
vehicles are similar. Thanks anyways fellas