Speed Limiter

Old February 4th 05, 03:02 PM
mtraynor

Default Speed Limiter

Is there a speed limiter or governor that is available for a 02 VW Golf?

Old February 4th 05, 03:15 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, mtraynor wrote:

> Is there a speed limiter or governor that is available for a 02 VW Golf?

Put your kid/wife/whatever through a *real* driver training program (not
that useless **** from AAA) and you won't have to worry about it.
Old February 5th 05, 10:23 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:15:07 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
> >> Is there a speed limiter or governor that is available for a 02 VW

Golf?

> >Put your kid/wife/whatever through a *real* driver training program (not
> >that useless **** from AAA) and you won't have to worry about it.

> All the driver training in the world won't help Junior exercise good
> judgement. What I did was install a GPS-based tracking device in the
> car that my son is allowed to drive. It tells me where he goes, and
> how fast. You'd be amazed how well teens drive when they know that
> dear old Dad is watching over their shoulder as they drive.

Gee you did it the hard way. What you should have done is bought
a nice GPS device for you to use for yourself in your own car, then
hid it a few times in his car. Then he never would know if the
thing was hidden in the car or not, thus good deterrence, and you
would get to use it in your car.

How do you know he hasn't parked the GPS at his friends house on
an AC adapter? That's what I'd do. Of course, I never listened to
my parents at that age either. I actually bought and owned a motorcycle
for 2 years (got insurance on it and all that) when living with them,
and kept it hidden well enough so they never knew I had it.

It gives my parents no end of delight to tell me to look forward to
my kids doing the same thing to me when they get older, let me
tell you. :-)

Ted

Old February 5th 05, 08:37 PM
Bill the second

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:15:07 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Is there a speed limiter or governor that is available for a 02 VW Golf?

>>Put your kid/wife/whatever through a *real* driver training program (not
>>that useless **** from AAA) and you won't have to worry about it.

> All the driver training in the world won't help Junior exercise good
> judgement. What I did was install a GPS-based tracking device in the
> car that my son is allowed to drive. It tells me where he goes, and
> how fast. You'd be amazed how well teens drive when they know that
> dear old Dad is watching over their shoulder as they drive.

Which system do you use? Is it good for theft tracking, etc? Does it show a
satellite photo of the current position of your car ;-)

Old February 6th 05, 02:44 AM
Bill the second

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:37:49 GMT, "Bill the second" >
> wrote:
>
>>> All the driver training in the world won't help Junior exercise good
>>> judgement. What I did was install a GPS-based tracking device in the
>>> car that my son is allowed to drive. It tells me where he goes, and
>>> how fast. You'd be amazed how well teens drive when they know that
>>> dear old Dad is watching over their shoulder as they drive.

>>Which system do you use? Is it good for theft tracking, etc?

> It's a system of my own design. How do you think I became so
> knowledgeable on the subject in that other thread?

Does it have remote access abilities, or does it just store data for you to
retrieve later?

>>Does it show a
>>satellite photo of the current position of your car ;-)

> NFW!!!

Does it show a highlighted satellite photo of your car? So you can recognize
what a street looks like.

Old February 7th 05, 03:10 AM
Max

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:15:07 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>

>>>Is there a speed limiter or governor that is available for a 02 VW Golf?

>>Put your kid/wife/whatever through a *real* driver training program (not
>>that useless **** from AAA) and you won't have to worry about it.

> All the driver training in the world won't help Junior exercise good
> judgement. What I did was install a GPS-based tracking device in the
> car that my son is allowed to drive. It tells me where he goes, and
> how fast. You'd be amazed how well teens drive when they know that
> dear old Dad is watching over their shoulder as they drive.

If my son was not smart enough to take that sucker out of the car, I
would be severely disappointed...

and yeah i drove like a crazy sumbitch (speed wise) when I was young and
well... I still do!
--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old February 7th 05, 12:56 PM
Bill the second

"Max" > wrote in message news:4206db81$1_1@aeinews....
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>Put your kid/wife/whatever through a *real* driver training program (not
>>>that useless **** from AAA) and you won't have to worry about it.

>> All the driver training in the world won't help Junior exercise good
>> judgement. What I did was install a GPS-based tracking device in the
>> car that my son is allowed to drive. It tells me where he goes, and
>> how fast. You'd be amazed how well teens drive when they know that
>> dear old Dad is watching over their shoulder as they drive.
>>

> If my son was not smart enough to take that sucker out of the car, I would
> be severely disappointed...

And if he does, that's immediate grounds to suspend his driving privileges.

Old February 7th 05, 03:15 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 02:23:45 -0800, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:
>
>>How do you know he hasn't parked the GPS at his friends house on
>>an AC adapter? That's what I'd do.

>You'd have a lot of fun digging the little black box out from under
>the dashboard (assuming you knew where it was in the first place).
>You'd have even more fun reinstalling it after your little soiree.

Easier to just cover the antenna. That's any GPS system's weak point;
it needs to be able to see the sky.
Old February 7th 05, 03:38 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:15:07 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
> >Put your kid/wife/whatever through a *real* driver training program

(not
> >that useless **** from AAA) and you won't have to worry about it.

> All the driver training in the world won't help Junior exercise good
> judgement.

Actually, I think the *right kind* of training will. Regular readers
like you will know how often I recommend BMW CCA's club training
programs, including the one directed at teens ("Street Survivor"). I
think the young drivers listen to us and are willing to learn from us
because they know, or have seen, what *we* can and do do with our cars.
Some of us autocross; some of us race; some of us modify our cars.
These are all the things *they* want to do, so we get grudging respect
for that. Then, we don't lecture them or talk down to them. We treat
them as equals. We *explain* some of the critical vehicle dynamics
they should always consider. The very first thing we do is get them in
line in their cars and send them down a braking lane where they
*hammer* the brakes so they either: A) learn to threshold brake or B)
learn what their ABS can do. Later, with skidpad exercises and
handling maneuvers, we engage them in our enthusiasm for driving
precisely and well.

While it won't (and can't) result in instant good judgment, it goes a
long way. Hey, if I were a kid (ISTR I actually was - once), given the
choice of learning from a bunch of knowledgeable motorheads with cool
cars and hands-on instruction or a blackboard lecture, some boring
movies, and the prospect of riding around in a 4-door Buick
demonstrator for hours on end, I know what *I'd* choose ...
--
C=2ER. Krieger
(Been there; done both)

Speed Limiter Daniel J. Stern Driving 13 February 10th 05 08:37 PM
Revenue enhancing speed limits. Bill the second Driving 1 February 1st 05 10:52 PM
'95 XLT hum varies with speed cK Ford Explorer 1 January 20th 05 02:37 AM
Speed governor question Alex Rodriguez Honda 3 October 5th 04 04:12 AM
535d speed limiter the-man-himself BMW 2 September 22nd 04 09:17 PM