NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Old April 24th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default NC Leaking into boot (trunk)

Hi Guys, I've a 2005 NC Limited Edition.
Just recently I've noticed that after a hearty wash, that I have a
puddle of water in the *trunk*.
Never seemed to happen before when washing on the same gentle slope
facing uphill so wondering if there may be some drain blocked around
the soft top, or if a seal between top and body has opened up?
Any ideas appreciated before I start pulling things apart to have a
look.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old April 24th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_13_]

Miata soft tops have drains on each side of the car in the top well. They
may be clogged if you get a lot of crud etc from trees and so forth, and the
car is parked outside.
Or, the nose up angle allows water to collect in the well, instead of going
out through the drains. In eather case, when the car is again on level
ground, and the drains cannot take the water fast enough, you may end up
with a squishy carpet.

Old April 25th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> Miata soft tops have drains on each side of the car in the top
> well. They may be clogged if you get a lot of crud etc from
> trees and so forth, and the car is parked outside.
> Or, the nose up angle allows water to collect in the well,
> instead of going out through the drains. In eather case, when
> the car is again on level ground, and the drains cannot take
> the water fast enough, you may end up with a squishy carpet.

I've found that a single tine from a large metal leaf rake is
exactly the right shape and length to clear those drains from the
top. Clearing from the bottom can lead to a faceful of *nasty*
slime/water/leaf mold.

With the top down, look behind the seat belt tower, towards the
front of the area toward the door. The drain is down in there.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old April 25th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:25:13 -0400, "Iva" > wrote:

>"Chuck" > wrote in message
>> Miata soft tops have drains on each side of the car in the top
>> well. They may be clogged if you get a lot of crud etc from
>> trees and so forth, and the car is parked outside.
>> Or, the nose up angle allows water to collect in the well,
>> instead of going out through the drains. In eather case, when
>> the car is again on level ground, and the drains cannot take
>> the water fast enough, you may end up with a squishy carpet.
>>

>I've found that a single tine from a large metal leaf rake is
>exactly the right shape and length to clear those drains from the
>top. Clearing from the bottom can lead to a faceful of *nasty*
>slime/water/leaf mold.
>
>With the top down, look behind the seat belt tower, towards the
>front of the area toward the door. The drain is down in there.
>

>Iva & Vixen
>2004 Classic Red
>No more winkin' Miata

Washing the car this morning so I'll try that first and see how we go.
I'm surprised that the drains could be blocked as the car is always
garaged and would not have often spent any time sitting under trees?

Old April 26th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:25:13 -0400, "Iva" > wrote:
>>I've found that a single tine from a large metal leaf rake is
>>exactly the right shape and length to clear those drains from
>>the
>>top. Clearing from the bottom can lead to a faceful of *nasty*
>>slime/water/leaf mold.
>>
>>With the top down, look behind the seat belt tower, towards the
>>front of the area toward the door. The drain is down in there.
>>

> Washing the car this morning so I'll try that first and see how
> we go.
> I'm surprised that the drains could be blocked as the car is
> always
> garaged and would not have often spent any time sitting under
> trees?

Anything that starts on the roof, or on the back window, ends up
in the drain eventually. Right now all of the maple trees are
blooming and all that little red crap (pollen and such) gets on
everyone's cars. Add in a nice soaking rain and there's bound to
be red crap in the drains.

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old April 26th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> Anything that starts on the roof, or on the back window, ends up
> in the drain eventually. Right now all of the maple trees are
> blooming and all that little red crap (pollen and such) gets on
> everyone's cars. Add in a nice soaking rain and there's bound to
> be red crap in the drains.
>
> Iva & Vixen
> 2004 Classic Red
> No more winkin' Miata

We have yellow oak pollen right now. It builds up in amazingly thick
piles on the in a short period of time.
Not many maples around here, but lots and lots of oak, cedar and pecan.

My first Miata went 5 years with almost no garage parking and lots of
sitting underneath trees as a bird poop recipient, and the drains never
clogged up.
This was with a lot of Pecan tree debris dropping onto the top and into
the creases.
Even though I did wash this area out with a hose regularly, it still
surprised me that I never had a drainage problem.

OTOH, a friend who kept his Miata garaged and much cleaner than mine did
have the drains clog with debris after only 3 or 4 years.

This was on a M2 versus a M1, but the top drain designs are the same, so
it makes me wonder if it is luck as much as anything, as in something
big enough to cause a blockage happened to drop into his car and not mine.

I'll try to keep the rake tine in mind for if/when it happens to mine.

My rake is falling apart and only has a few tines left now, so that
should be easy enough to acquire. :-)

Pat
Old April 27th 09, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:23:40 -0500, Raover > wrote:

wrote:
>> Hi Guys, I've a 2005 NC Limited Edition.
>> Just recently I've noticed that after a hearty wash, that I have a
>> puddle of water in the *trunk*.
>> Never seemed to happen before when washing on the same gentle slope
>> facing uphill so wondering if there may be some drain blocked around
>> the soft top, or if a seal between top and body has opened up?
>> Any ideas appreciated before I start pulling things apart to have a
>> look.
>>

>> OzOne of the three twins
>>
>> I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

>I have a 2006 NC, that I have owned about a year, and when it rains hard
>the trunk and passenger side floorboard floods. I bought the drain brush
>and cleaned out the drains thinking this was the problem. It rained hard
>again the other day and flooded once more. The drains holes are clean,
>but there is a rubber flap at the very bottom of the drain hole under
>the car that is getting stuck and not opening when the drain fills up. I
>need to get under the car and figure out why it is not opening, but that
>may be the same problem you are having.

Maybe, I did clear the drains and watched very carefullu as virtually
no dirt or other debris came out. I gently flushed both and still no
debris.
Washed the car and had no problem but if it happens again, I will look
at the flaps to see if they are stuck.
Thanks!

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

TT trunk (boot) luggage rack buttugly Audi 1 March 9th 08 07:58 PM
Water in the boot/trunk! Bruno Mazda 9 August 5th 07 01:01 PM
trunk/boot liner removal help req TwoBells Audi 3 March 19th 07 07:54 PM
Leaking CV boot and noisy brakes toller VW water cooled 2 June 14th 05 02:56 AM
E28 boot / trunk interior trim John Burns BMW 6 September 23rd 04 03:58 AM