95 Dodge Stratus ES Shifting problems

Old May 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Litlbreez4

Default 95 Dodge Stratus ES Shifting problems

I have a 95 stratus with a 2.5 V6. When I an driving, it will shift down
in gears, and can not drive over 35 mph. I have taken it to a
transmission shop, and they said no codes came up on the computer. Tried
to tell me that it had been ran low in fluid and it was some kind of
saftey thing, so I could get to a shop. I don't believe that. If I turn
it off for a few minute it will run fine for a few hours or a few weeks.
But sometimes, it will take a few days for it to change gears like it
should. I read on another site that it could be the input speed sensor.
I have bought it and the outup speed sensors, and am waiting to have them
put in. But I am thinking that isn't the problem. Has anyone had this
problem and gotten it fixed??

Old May 26th 05, 04:40 AM
rob

sounds like its going into "limp in mode" but not sure why

let us know after the sensor work is done

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 15th 05, 03:40 AM
Litlbreez4

Had both the input and output speed sensors replaced, and still having the
same problem. Anyone have any idea what else I should try? It shifts
down when I am slowing down, and sometimes it will jerk really bad, and
sounds like the transmission fell out. I can't afford to get another car,
and can't keep driving this like it is.

Old June 15th 05, 03:48 PM
David

"Litlbreez4" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Had both the input and output speed sensors replaced, and still having the
> same problem. Anyone have any idea what else I should try? It shifts
> down when I am slowing down, and sometimes it will jerk really bad, and
> sounds like the transmission fell out. I can't afford to get another car,
> and can't keep driving this like it is.

And is the tranny fluid low?

Old June 16th 05, 12:08 AM
Litlbreez4

No, it's not low. It does havea leak, but it is not bad, and I check it
before I drive it every time. To me it seems that it would have to be a
sensor or something that will reset, since when I turn the car off and sit
for a minute or 2, it will drive perfect, for a mile, or miles. I don't
know. Have no idea about transmissions and I am a female, so I don't want
to get ripped off at a shop.

Old June 16th 05, 12:21 AM
Litlbreez4

The hotter it is outside the more it will mess up, at night when it cools
off, I do not have the problem. I watch the temp. and it never gets
higher than normal.

Old June 16th 05, 06:08 PM
R Meek

it sounds like the gears are striped my dads car did the same it was the
gears...

Old June 29th 05, 06:52 AM
James Goforth

I don't know who replaced both the input and output sensors, nor why
they elected to do that. Was it a dealership?
What needs to be done is find a shop with the software in their
scanner to get the codes which will tell what's going on with the
transmission--usually a dealer or REPUTABLE transmission shop.
The codes will likely be printed out from a computer, presumably from
the scanner downloading into the shop computer for printing, depending
on what kind of scanner they have.
But then it's printed out for you, and at least that's somewhat more
trustworthy than some guy telling you you need $1700 for a new
transmission with no proof.
They also have the capability to check the pressures in various
circuits if it comes to that.
The bottom line is there are many things which can be checked in this
transmission, and as such it's likely one of those many things may fix
the problem at a reasonable cost.

Old July 18th 05, 08:37 PM
kymme80

"" wrote:
> I have a 95 stratus with a 2.5 V6. When I an driving, it will
> shift down
> in gears, and can not drive over 35 mph. I have taken it to a
> transmission shop, and they said no codes came up on the
> computer. Tried
> to tell me that it had been ran low in fluid and it was some
> kind of
> saftey thing, so I could get to a shop. I don't believe that.
> If I turn
> it off for a few minute it will run fine for a few hours or a
> few weeks.
> But sometimes, it will take a few days for it to change gears
> like it
> should. I read on another site that it could be the input
> speed sensor.
> I have bought it and the outup speed sensors, and am waiting
> to have them
> put in. But I am thinking that isn't the problem. Has anyone
> had this
> problem and gotten it fixed??

That sounds just like my 95 Dodge Stratus, I had it scanned and it
came up with a Error 41 code. Low Reverse Selonid, it is in the
transmission. Haven’t found anything else out about it. Let me know if
you hear anything.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Dodge-95-S...ict121757.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=628795
Old July 19th 05, 06:36 PM
Mothar

"kymme80" wrote:
> That sounds just like my 95 Dodge Stratus, I had it scanned
> and it came up with a Error 41 code. Low Reverse Selonid, it
> is in the transmission. Haven't found anything else out about
> it. Let me know if you hear anything.

Hello, I have the exact same problem as Litlbreez4, with the exact
same car. I can confirm the behaviour completely. I would rule out any
mechanial defect or fluid problems, since turning off ignition and
starting again clears the problem. But it’s a drag having to pull over
to emergency lane to do that. At highway speeds (80+) it will shift to
N, and when the speed gets down into 1st gear range(35mph) it will
jerk into 1st. (limp mode)
It is strange how the outside temp seem to have some influence, but
even Litlbreez4’s note on that is also happening for me.
Kymme80, you didn’t mention if the “low reverse selonid” was changed,
and if it solve it ??
Could the problem be caused by a different problem, like vents needing
adjustment, or “leaky” exhaust system ??
Rgds
Mothar