Removing Steering wheel play on a 71

Old September 11th 04, 11:30 PM
Rclink

Default Removing Steering wheel play on a 71

I once read an article were a guy described in detail how to remove the
steering wheel free play on a Corvette. I have rebult the front end on my 71
including the power steering components. The rag joint is new. I repacked
the steering gear also.I would enjoy hearing from other C3 owners on how
tight their steering is.
Thanks all!
Rick

Old September 12th 04, 12:02 AM
Dad

"Rclink" > wrote in message
.net...
>I once read an article were a guy described in detail how to remove the
>steering wheel free play on a Corvette. I have rebult the front end on my
>71 including the power steering components. The rag joint is new. I
>repacked the steering gear also.I would enjoy hearing from other C3 owners
>on how tight their steering is.
> Thanks all!
> Rick

On the top of the steering box there is a set screw with a jam nut. Loosen
the jam nut and turn the set screw in, maybe 1/16 of a turn and lock the jam
nut. Try it, if that isn't enough do it again. Go easy, you can lock it up
or damage the mechanism.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51

Old September 12th 04, 12:02 AM
Dad

.net...

Old September 12th 04, 05:35 AM
SAScheffey

I believe you are talking about play in the wheel from left to right as you
steer. That fix is fairly simply as described in the previous post.

Any input on my steering. My wheel moves in circles approximately 2" in all
directions. Is there a problem in the tilt wheel mechanism?

Old September 21st 04, 02:38 PM
JCORVETTE 72&75

Old September 21st 04, 02:38 PM
JCORVETTE 72&75

steering wheel makes scraping sound RgvKid BMW 0 December 29th 04 05:45 PM
Radio Controls on Steering Wheel 147 Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 0 October 31st 04 05:56 PM
steering wheel noise mdsarnelli BMW 6 October 8th 04 10:18 PM
'87 5000 cd Quatro steering wheel re fasten The Bald Ass Prairie Farm Audi 2 August 28th 04 09:20 PM
AUDI COUPE STEERING WHEEL ON EBAY NeueSchuleBits.com Audi 2 July 23rd 04 01:15 PM