Question about engine oil sludge

Old October 30th 04, 12:01 PM
Richard

We traditionally call "sludge" is a substance caused by motor oil exposed to
normal motor temperatures plus water and other combustion contamination that
forms a mixture of various compounds that participate out of the oil. Over
time these compounds can coke-up and form a solid mass.

Synthetic oil tends to avoid this by doing a better job of keeping the
compounds in suspension and a better job of dealing with the acids that form
when the compounds are exposed to water. Any detergent oil will quickly
disolve the hardest deposits if change frequently enough, perhaps every 500
miles, till the sludge and hard mass is desolved.

More likely a problem caused by 1. poor design of the lub system, 2. changed
fuel mixtures, 3. failure to use an oil that can deal with the changed fuel
mixtures, and 4. not letting the motor come up to full running temperature.

The reports you hear about spark, coolant, etc., are pure magic.

Richard.

Old October 30th 04, 12:40 PM
Matt Whiting

pawn wrote:
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
>> Bill D wrote:
>>

>> I've certainly heard lots about the problem, but that's the first I've
>> heard that explanation. I'm not ready to totally discount it until I
>> hear more, but I'm having a very hard time imagining how coolant (that
>> is not leaking internally) can cause sludge in the crankcase! Are the
>> ignition current spikes supposed to disturb gasket interfaces and thus
>> cause the coolant to leak into the crankcase and form sludge with the
>> oil?
>>

> Just to give more data: I have not even once changed the coolant in my
> 2.7l which now has 205,000 kms (127,000 mi). Also I'm on my second
> synthetic oil change without catastrophe. And of note: my commute has
> recently been reduced from 70kms each way to about 20 kms each way. I
> will update the group with any change in the, what I would now call
> dependability, of my motor.

Please post your VIN so that nobody reading here wil buy your car when
you sell it. Not maintaining a car is like not taking care of your
body. It may not fail today, but it will ... just a matter of when.

Matt

Old October 30th 04, 12:40 PM
Matt Whiting

Old October 30th 04, 07:12 PM
pawn

Matt Whiting wrote:
> pawn wrote:
>
> Please post your VIN so that nobody reading here wil buy your car when
> you sell it. Not maintaining a car is like not taking care of your
> body. It may not fail today, but it will ... just a matter of when.

Sure, here ya go:

Xn3o2b3o9d8y4a7s3k9e4d0y5o8u3

You have no idea how I maintain my car. It's running fine, thanks, and
as with every single car I've ever owned, well into it's high mileage
years. But don't think I don't appreciate your opinion, I have a very
special place where I keep opinions just like yours.

Old October 30th 04, 07:12 PM
pawn

Old October 30th 04, 07:42 PM
Matt Whiting

pawn wrote:

> Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> pawn wrote:
>>
>> Please post your VIN so that nobody reading here wil buy your car when
>> you sell it. Not maintaining a car is like not taking care of your
>> body. It may not fail today, but it will ... just a matter of when.
>>

> Sure, here ya go:
>
> Xn3o2b3o9d8y4a7s3k9e4d0y5o8u3
>
> You have no idea how I maintain my car. It's running fine, thanks, and
> as with every single car I've ever owned, well into it's high mileage
> years. But don't think I don't appreciate your opinion, I have a very
> special place where I keep opinions just like yours.

127,000 miles on the original coolant is not proper maintenance. You
must value my opinion or you wouldn't have bothered to respond. :-)

Matt

Old October 30th 04, 07:42 PM
Matt Whiting

Old October 31st 04, 05:47 AM
pawn

Matt Whiting wrote:

> 127,000 miles on the original coolant is not proper maintenance.

Well, you certainly have an opinion and I encourage that from special
people like you.

> You
> must value my opinion or you wouldn't have bothered to respond. :-)

No, I don't. If that's how you epect to sneak your idiocy through
Usenet, sorry, everyone knows that trick. But, hey, I'll give you a
chance. Give one good reason why you thought it was a good idea to
challenge me on this subject, but not Bill Putney? I mean, he claimed
to have not changed his coolant until the same mileage as me. And he
said that hours before you offered your well thought out post. Could it
be that you see your place in the scheme of things as a small little man
that really hasn't yet challenged anyone in the outside world that's
willing to trounce you. Because, that's pretty much how I read it.
Feel free to enlighten me otherwise.

Old October 31st 04, 05:47 AM
pawn

Old October 31st 04, 07:18 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"pawn" > wrote in message

> said that hours before you offered your well thought out post. Could it
> be that you see your place in the scheme of things as a small little man
> that really hasn't yet challenged anyone in the outside world that's
> willing to trounce you. Because, that's pretty much how I read it.
> Feel free to enlighten me otherwise.

Matt, don't bother. I'll tell it to him again since he obviously doesen't
have
it through his thick head yet. Pawn, 127,000 miles on the original coolant
is not proper maintenance.

Ted