2.7 Liter w/ 138,000 miles - keeping her in shape

Old October 30th 04, 08:32 AM
Stephen

Default 2.7 Liter w/ 138,000 miles - keeping her in shape

Thanks guys! I feel better now, although the car is out of service at
the moment. After three weeks of driving 50 miles a day with no
problems, the battery light came on. Shortly after that my
headlights, dashlights, and radio went out while the car was running.
At first I suspected the alternator, but I checked it on the car with
a voltmeter and it seems ok. I've been putting off testing the
battery (because this happens while the car is running), but I'm going
to give that a shot tomorrow and hope that's the issue. After reading
a few posts it sounds like a bad battery could cause some funky things
to happen while the car is running in these cars. Does anyone know if
the alternator could be giving me intermittent problems, as in it only
works part of the time? I thought when alternators went bad they died
completely.

Thanks again!
-SS

Old October 30th 04, 09:33 PM
Bill Putney

Stephen wrote:

> ...After reading
> a few posts it sounds like a bad battery could cause some funky things
> to happen while the car is running in these cars. Does anyone know if
> the alternator could be giving me intermittent problems, as in it only
> works part of the time? I thought when alternators went bad they died
> completely.

Based on my hanging out on Chrysler- and LH-specific forums and
ownership of a Concorde for a over 3 years, I would say that an
alternator failing on these cars is *very* rare (don't know that I've
ever seen a post about a failed LH alternator). When things start
acting screwy on the dash on these cars, it's almost always a battery
problem. They don't act like other cars I've messed with over the years
with charging system issues.

Just to be safe, check your battery connection. There is a direct
connection from the battery to the alternator, so the only places for a
bad connection to the alternator are at the battery and at the alternator.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 30th 04, 09:33 PM
Bill Putney