In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Old October 30th 04, 04:50 AM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:35:47 -0400, "Thomas Moats" > wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:54:06 -0400, "Al Smith" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Wait a minute. Maybe there are shortcuts in some cases - and I have only
>> >done
>> >it once - but every fuel pump replacement I have heard about
>> >involves dropping the tank.
>> >

>> None of the intank fuel pumps used on carbureted Toyota vehicles
>> required removal of the tank to replace. All had screwed on access
>> covers either in the trunk or floor under the rear seat to access the
>> fuel sender.fuel pickup/fuel pump.. Many other vehicles were built the
>> same.
>>
>> Many of today's vehicles DO require dropping the tank - and MANY of
>> those tanks are plastic, not steel.. Many of them have quick
>> disconnects to disconnect the fuel lines, and if less than 1/4 full
>> pose a very limitted danger of spillage when removing. They are also
>> usually relatively simple to drain with a proper fuel transfer pump,
>> either electrical, air powered, or manual.
>>
>> Most fuel injected vehicles can be easily drained from under the hood
>> by connecting the transfer pump to the service valve on the fuel rail
>> - without getting ANY fuel or fuel vapours into the shop, and with NO
>> danger of fire.

>If you have about a week to wait for the fuel to tranfer........

No,, about half an hour maximum will empty a 72 liter tank - and
totally unmonitored, so you can do another job while it is being
drained. The schrader valve is removed to remove a significant amount
of restriction from the line.

Old October 30th 04, 04:50 AM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:35:47 -0400, "Thomas Moats" > wrote:

.. .

Old October 30th 04, 04:56 AM
Ray

Bill Putney wrote:
> Ken Weitzel wrote:
>

>> Bill Putney wrote:

>>> If I see where you're going with this, the inside of the fuel pump
>>> (where all the electrical commutation/sparking takes place) is 100%
>>> full of liquid fuel under all conditions. Missing only one
>>> ingredient for fire or explosion: air/oxygen. Comforting thought, eh?
>>>
>>> To answer your question: air (but all the arcing and sparking is
>>> inside the pump with only liquid fuel).

wouldn't the arcing be only where the actual motor assembly would be?
could this not be a sealed unit? Would you even want gas in there? I
would think gas does a poor job of lubrication - you'd have some kind of
grease in the actual motor assembly, wouldn't you?

the gears that pump the gasoline won't be arcing...

fwiw, my fish tank pump uses a sealed pump assy with a magnetic drive
assembly - no chance of water touching the electrical parts.

Ray
Old October 30th 04, 04:56 AM
Ray

Old October 30th 04, 05:03 AM
Thomas Moats

<snip>
> >If you have about a week to wait for the fuel to tranfer........

> No,, about half an hour maximum will empty a 72 liter tank - and
> totally unmonitored, so you can do another job while it is being
> drained. The schrader valve is removed to remove a significant amount
> of restriction from the line.
> >

> ><snip>

That is bull.

Old October 30th 04, 05:03 AM
Thomas Moats

<snip>
> >If you have about a week to wait for the fuel to tranfer........

> No,, about half an hour maximum will empty a 72 liter tank - and
> totally unmonitored, so you can do another job while it is being
> drained. The schrader valve is removed to remove a significant amount
> of restriction from the line.
> >

> ><snip>

That is bull.

Old October 30th 04, 06:26 AM
Full_Name

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:15:52 GMT, Ken Weitzel >
wrote:
><snip>
>Hi Bill...
>
>I'd have to be several kinds of fool to debate you
>given your experience.
>
>Perhaps though, we should together design a new
>system? I'm thinking of gravity...
>
>Ken

VW beetle had the gravity feed. Not sure that I'd want a gravity
feed if I was involved in an accident....... ;-)
Old October 30th 04, 06:26 AM
Full_Name