In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

Old October 30th 04, 01:39 AM
Thomas Moats

"Ken Weitzel" > wrote in message
news:6vAgd.58160$%k.40632@pd7tw2no...

> wrote:
> > Perhaps if your degree was in electrical, rather than mechanical,
> > engineering you might. One reason is liquids can not burn. By
> > being inside the tank, there is no possibility of a combustible
> > mixture or fire. If for example the electric fuel pump were
> > outside the tank, in the line, there is a much greater
> > probability of a combustible mixture occurring in the event of a
> > fuel leak. OK?

> Hi...
>
> I'm electrical - but sure not interested in taking sides
> in this conversation.
>
> I do have one question though that I'd like to ask if
> I may? When I have a quarter tank of fuel left, what
> exactly occupies the remaining space?

Fuel vapor No oxygen and under slight pressure which keeps oxygen from getting
in, or shall I say not enough to support any type of combustion. No degree
needed for that.

Old October 30th 04, 02:08 AM
Ken Weitzel

wrote:

>>>Perhaps if your degree was in electrical, rather than mechanical,
>>>engineering you might. One reason is liquids can not burn. By
>>>being inside the tank, there is no possibility of a combustible
>>>mixture or fire. If for example the electric fuel pump were
>>>outside the tank, in the line, there is a much greater
>>>probability of a combustible mixture occurring in the event of a
>>>fuel leak. OK?

>>Hi...
>>
>>I'm electrical - but sure not interested in taking sides
>>in this conversation.
>>
>>I do have one question though that I'd like to ask if
>>I may? When I have a quarter tank of fuel left, what
>>exactly occupies the remaining space?
>>

> Fuel vapor No oxygen and under slight pressure which keeps oxygen from getting
> in, or shall I say not enough to support any type of combustion. No degree
> needed for that.

Hi...

Or maybe one is

See if I follow.... they make a mediocre attempt
at creating a closed environment. Then we remove
some of the contents (burn some of the gas). And
end up sith a slight pressure?

Ken

Old October 30th 04, 02:08 AM
Ken Weitzel

Old October 30th 04, 02:09 AM
Thomas Moats

Are you sure? The pick up is under fuel, but is the pump completely under fuel ?
The "contacts" are in the top of the pump, so exposed to tank atmosphere. Being
no O2 or not enough to support combustion.........moot point.

Old October 30th 04, 02:09 AM
Thomas Moats