XP, SBLive, TSW

Old November 11th 04, 10:54 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article >,
PAM-OFF (EldredP) wrote:

> Including other games?

I have a dual boot XP/Win98 system but I can honestly say I
haven't needed to use Win98 for over two years. Even Doom3 works
in XP if you Google around a little. I haven't tried personally
though, and I don't run any old games any more which might be
awkward under XP.

Andrew McP
Old November 12th 04, 05:17 AM
Andrew MacPherson

In article
(Biz) wrote:

> unless that is waht you meant and just got it backwards

You're right. Complete brain to finger interface failure.

Andrew McP
Old November 13th 04, 12:30 AM
Don Burnette

EldredP wrote:
>> Yes, you can Eldred, through the Sidewinder 4.0 software. It is
>> getting hard to find these days.
>> Go here, and see if you can get it -
>> http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/79/79453.htm
>>
>> Install the software, plug in the wheel, then launch the software
>> and you can make it split or combined axis within the software.

> I just discovered that last night(doh! Hadn't loaced the CD until
> then). So, I got it to work as split-axis, but I'll need to come up
> with a better way to secure the wheel to my table. It has a cross
> brace that's in the way of the clamp. Also, the system keeps
> crashing with XP. MS's post-mortem says there's a problem with a
> driver, but it doesn't say *which* driver. I tried disabling the
> USB, because during install I got a message about it being
> non-certified(something like that). All the other drivers installed
> fine. So there's still an unknown element that causes the active
> application to crash randomly. I may go back to win98 after
> all...less hassle.<g>
>
> Eldred

Make sure you have all the latest updates/drivers for your peripherals.
I have been running XP since Dec 01, it has been very stable for me.

--
Don Burnette

Old November 13th 04, 09:15 PM

> Including other games?

Yes. Actually I could say that my Win98se is a dedicated "sim" os
..
On 98 I run - GPL, NR2003/TA, GTR2002, GTR-Demo, LFS, etc.
On XP I run - any other games - Doom3, Far-Cry, etc.

I don't use Win98 for anything else EXCEPT sim-racing.

That does afford me a nice "stable, reliable, no-driver-issues" sim-racing
system. Don't really ever have to worry about some new game that
requires new driver version that does not work with GPL and creates
some new problems that I gotta get sorted out before the next league race!
LOL

When I race... I reboot from XP to 98 and everything works as always!
"Start your engines" and go

Cheers
ThunderDog
==--==