'94 Acclaim "key jiggle" turns fan and air bag light on/off

Old June 9th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Gary Kaucher

Default '94 Acclaim "key jiggle" turns fan and air bag light on/off

1994 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0 (6 cyl)

There must be some kind of loose connection in the housing that my key goes
into. Lately when I'm driving down the road with my A/C on, the blower fan
will turn off and the "air bag" light will come on. If I jiggle the key a
little I can get everything back to normal. Any idea what part I need to
fix behind the "key housing" on the steering wheel? Now that the A/C is on
more often, I am noticing this problem a lot. More than likely, when the
blower fan is intentionally turned off I might not noticed that the air bag
is disabled. I wonder what other functions are lost when this happens?

Thanks,

Gary

Old June 10th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
GWK

> There must be some kind of loose connection in the housing that my key
goes
> into. Lately when I'm driving down the road with my A/C on, the blower fan
> will turn off and the "air bag" light will come on. If I jiggle the key a
> little I can get everything back to normal. Any idea what part I need to
> fix behind the "key housing" on the steering wheel? Now that the A/C is

on
> more often, I am noticing this problem a lot. More than likely, when the
> blower fan is intentionally turned off I might not noticed that the air

bag
> is disabled. I wonder what other functions are lost when this happens?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

I saw some postings that implied that the clockspring could be the problem.
They indicated that
in addition to the "air bag" light coming on, the horn wouldn't work as
well. However, in my case, when the
blower fan turns off and the "air bag" light comes on, the horn still works.

Gary

Old June 10th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Gary Kaucher" > wrote in message
> 1994 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0 (6 cyl)
>
> There must be some kind of loose connection in the housing that my key

goes
> into. Lately when I'm driving down the road with my A/C on, the blower fan
> will turn off and the "air bag" light will come on. If I jiggle the key a
> little I can get everything back to normal. Any idea what part I need to
> fix behind the "key housing" on the steering wheel? Now that the A/C is

on
> more often, I am noticing this problem a lot. More than likely, when the
> blower fan is intentionally turned off I might not noticed that the air

bag
> is disabled. I wonder what other functions are lost when this happens?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

The ignition switch may be worn out causing this problem. Take a look under
the column to see if the cover is melted. You may want to remove the cover
and inspect the switch/connector for signs of excessive heat. Replace switch
and repair the connector is any signs of heat are found

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old June 10th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
GWK

> > 1994 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0 (6 cyl)
> >
> > There must be some kind of loose connection in the housing that my key

goes
> > into. Lately when I'm driving down the road with my A/C on, the blower

fan
> > will turn off and the "air bag" light will come on. If I jiggle the key

> > little I can get everything back to normal. Any idea what part I need

> > fix behind the "key housing" on the steering wheel? Now that the A/C is

on
> > more often, I am noticing this problem a lot. More than likely, when the
> > blower fan is intentionally turned off I might not noticed that the air

bag
> > is disabled. I wonder what other functions are lost when this happens?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gary

> The ignition switch may be worn out causing this problem. Take a look

under
> the column to see if the cover is melted. You may want to remove the cover
> and inspect the switch/connector for signs of excessive heat. Replace

switch
> and repair the connector is any signs of heat are found
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Under the column I see a small crack in the cover on the side that is under
the switch. Not sure if it is heat related. I got the middle screw out, but
I probably
don't have the correct driver to remove the adjacent recessed screws. Are
they
some kind of torx head screw?
Any idea on the part number for the switch?

Thanks,

Gary

Old June 10th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"GWK" > wrote in message
news
> > > 1994 Plymouth Acclaim 3.0 (6 cyl)
> > >
> > > There must be some kind of loose connection in the housing that my key

> goes
> > > into. Lately when I'm driving down the road with my A/C on, the blower

> fan
> > > will turn off and the "air bag" light will come on. If I jiggle the

key
> > > little I can get everything back to normal. Any idea what part I need

> > > fix behind the "key housing" on the steering wheel? Now that the A/C

is
> on
> > > more often, I am noticing this problem a lot. More than likely, when

the
> > > blower fan is intentionally turned off I might not noticed that the

air
> bag
> > > is disabled. I wonder what other functions are lost when this happens?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Gary

> > The ignition switch may be worn out causing this problem. Take a look

> under
> > the column to see if the cover is melted. You may want to remove the

cover
> > and inspect the switch/connector for signs of excessive heat. Replace

> switch
> > and repair the connector is any signs of heat are found
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> Under the column I see a small crack in the cover on the side that is

under
> the switch. Not sure if it is heat related. I got the middle screw out,

but
> I probably
> don't have the correct driver to remove the adjacent recessed screws. Are
> they
> some kind of torx head screw?
> Any idea on the part number for the switch?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

If you see a crack it is more then likely heat related. you will need a 15
torx screwdriver to remove this cover.

Glenn

Old June 11th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
GWK

key
> > goes

blower
> > fan

> key

need

A/C
> is
> > on

> the

> air
> > bag

happens?

> > > The ignition switch may be worn out causing this problem. Take a look

> > under
> > > the column to see if the cover is melted. You may want to remove the

> cover
> > > and inspect the switch/connector for signs of excessive heat. Replace

> > switch
> > > and repair the connector is any signs of heat are found
> > >
> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech

> > Under the column I see a small crack in the cover on the side that is

> under
> > the switch. Not sure if it is heat related. I got the middle screw out,

> but
> > I probably
> > don't have the correct driver to remove the adjacent recessed screws.

Are
> > they
> > some kind of torx head screw?
> > Any idea on the part number for the switch?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gary
> >

> If you see a crack it is more then likely heat related. you will need a 15
> torx screwdriver to remove this cover.
>
> Glenn

Yes! I removed the cover and on the other side of the crack I could tell
that
it was heat related.

Upon removing the connector I could see that two adjacent connections
(Black with orange stripe & Pink with black stripe)had been slightly
"buggered up" by heat. In the process, I noticed an oily substance on the
connector. I'm wondering if maybe awhile back I may have sprayed some
"Lock-Ease" lubricant into the keyhole and maybe over time it migrated
down to the connector and messed up these two connections creating heat.
I cleaned them up and dried everything up, but it seems that the problem
comes back eventually.

Is the ignition switch held in place by just the one torx screw?

Thanks,

Gary

Old June 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"GWK" > wrote in message

> key
> > > goes

> blower
> > > fan

the
> > key

> need

> A/C
> > is
> > > on

when
> > the

the
> > air
> > > bag

> happens?

look
> > > under

> > cover

Replace
> > > switch

> > > Under the column I see a small crack in the cover on the side that is

> > under
> > > the switch. Not sure if it is heat related. I got the middle screw

out,
> > but
> > > I probably
> > > don't have the correct driver to remove the adjacent recessed screws.

> Are
> > > they
> > > some kind of torx head screw?
> > > Any idea on the part number for the switch?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >

> > If you see a crack it is more then likely heat related. you will need a

15
> > torx screwdriver to remove this cover.
> >
> > Glenn
> >

> Yes! I removed the cover and on the other side of the crack I could tell
> that
> it was heat related.
>
> Upon removing the connector I could see that two adjacent connections
> (Black with orange stripe & Pink with black stripe)had been slightly
> "buggered up" by heat. In the process, I noticed an oily substance on the
> connector. I'm wondering if maybe awhile back I may have sprayed some
> "Lock-Ease" lubricant into the keyhole and maybe over time it migrated
> down to the connector and messed up these two connections creating heat.
> I cleaned them up and dried everything up, but it seems that the problem
> comes back eventually.
>
> Is the ignition switch held in place by just the one torx screw?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

I believe there are 3 screws

Glenn

Old June 11th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
GWK

"maxpower" > wrote in message

my
> > key

> > blower

> the
> > > key

> > need

the
> > A/C
> > > is

> when
> > > the

> the
> > > air

> > happens?

> look

the
> > > cover

> Replace

is
> > > under

> out,
> > > but

screws.
> > Are

> > > If you see a crack it is more then likely heat related. you will need

> 15
> > > torx screwdriver to remove this cover.
> > >
> > > Glenn
> > >

> > Yes! I removed the cover and on the other side of the crack I could tell
> > that
> > it was heat related.
> >
> > Upon removing the connector I could see that two adjacent connections
> > (Black with orange stripe & Pink with black stripe)had been slightly
> > "buggered up" by heat. In the process, I noticed an oily substance on

the
> > connector. I'm wondering if maybe awhile back I may have sprayed some
> > "Lock-Ease" lubricant into the keyhole and maybe over time it migrated
> > down to the connector and messed up these two connections creating heat.
> > I cleaned them up and dried everything up, but it seems that the problem
> > comes back eventually.
> >
> > Is the ignition switch held in place by just the one torx screw?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Gary
> >

> I believe there are 3 screws
>
> Glenn

Glenn-

Thanks for your insight. I installed a new ignition switch and it solved the
problem completely.
As you indicated, I used a Torx 15 screwdriver to remove the 3 screws and
get the
bottom steering column cover off. After unscrewing the tilt lever, the top
cover came
off easily. I didn't have access to any shop manuals, but the ignition
switch (GP Sorensenthat S139)
that I bought came with some directions and pictures that made it easy to
remove and install both the
ignition switch and lock cylinder. The ignition switch was secured with 3
tamper resistant screws
(Torx TX20H).

I've had this problem off and on for two years. Only recently, did it become
more bothersome.

Thanks again!

Gary