American

Old October 26th 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_21_]

Default American

Can I buy a Chrysler if I wish to buy American ?

Historically, Chrysler was American until the buyout in 1999. I know they
have many factories and workers here, but Toyota does too. So what gives ?

I could buy a Toyota Sienna with 85% US content, or a German owned Dodge
built here, or a Mexican built Ford or and American assembled Hyundai.

Old October 26th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"Steve" > wrote in message
> Can I buy a Chrysler if I wish to buy American ?
>
> Historically, Chrysler was American until the buyout in 1999. I know they
> have many factories and workers here, but Toyota does too. So what gives ?
>
> I could buy a Toyota Sienna with 85% US content, or a German owned Dodge
> built here, or a Mexican built Ford or and American assembled Hyundai.

Maybe you could buy one assembled here. You have to decide whether Canada
counts as "home" to you. I'm not sure where Chysler still builds stuff, but
I guess Belvedere is making the new Caliber. The 300/LX stuff is made in
Canada.

Old October 26th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Hans Muecke

Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2006 22:33 (US Central Time)
Steve wrote in rec.autos.makers.chrysler:

> Can I buy a Chrysler if I wish to buy American ?
>
> Historically, Chrysler was American until the buyout in 1999. I know they
> have many factories and workers here, but Toyota does too. So what gives ?
>
> I could buy a Toyota Sienna with 85% US content, or a German owned Dodge
> built here, or a Mexican built Ford or and American assembled Hyundai.

And to confuse you even more ... Chrysler was started by a man of german
descent. The family name was "Kreissler" ... :-)

Talk to you later ... Hans from Germany (310 to go)
--
2006/10/26 15:20
EDDS 261520Z 09001KT CAVOK 22/15 Q1012 NOSIG
Old October 27th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel[_2_]

Yes, the majority of Chrysler cars are made in America. Although like you
mentioned, Chrysler was "Taken Over", but in 1998, around the time when I
retired. They are very much a German company, I can show you my dividend
checks from the stock I have that have German taxes taken out.

Although I am still a UAW member in retirement, here is a way of telling
where a car was built. Buy what ever you want - it is YOUR money :-) HEY
you can even buy a Toyota truck that is built in California by UAW workers -
joint venture - Toyota and GM)

Dan

Support union jobs in the U.S. and Canada
This guide is prepared by the UAW to provide information for consumers who
want to purchase vehicles produced by workers who enjoy the benefits and
protections of a union contract.

All vehicles on this list are made in the United States or Canada by members
of the United Auto Workers (UAW), Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) or the
International Union of Electrical Workers-Communication Workers of America
(IUE-CWA).

Because of the integration of U.S. and Canadian vehicle production, all
vehicles on this list include significant UAW-made content and support the
jobs of UAW members.

However, those vehicles marked with an asterisk (*) are sourced from the
United States and/or Canada and a third country. When purchasing one of
these models, check the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN.) A VIN beginning
with “1,” “4” or “5” identifies a U.S.-made vehicle; “2” identifies a
Canadian-made vehicle. Not all vehicles made in the United States or Canada
are made by union-represented workers. The Toyota Corolla, for example, is
made in the United States by UAW members, but the Canadian model is made in
a nonunion plant and other models are imported from a third country. To be
sure you have a union-made vehicle, buy one of the vehicles on this list.

Select a Union Made Vehicle

Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) Vehicles

International Union of Electrical Workers-Communication Workers of America
(IUE-CWA) Vehicles

United Auto Workers (UAW) Cars

United Auto Workers (UAW) SUVs

United Auto Workers (UAW) Trucks

United Auto Workers (UAW) Vans

Old October 28th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling

And the Crossfire is made in Osnabrück.

DAS

---

[...]

Old October 28th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dori A Schmetterling

Forget trying to buy "American"!

In Britain buying Ford became buying British...

Globalisation lives.

DAS

---

Old November 1st 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article >, "Joe" >
wrote:
> The 300/LX stuff is made in
> Canada.

Plus most Caravans.

FYI:
Canada, USA and Mexico are in a NAFTA agreement.
The point of vehicle manufacture is basically the final assembly plant.

My '95 Concord was assembled in Canada, my wife's '01 Sebring was
assembled in the USA.
Parts for these came from many countries, even outside NAFTA.

Euro Styling and American Buyers <for Brent P [email protected] Ford Mustang 3 September 8th 06 03:49 PM
Pushing Euro At American Buyers [email protected] Ford Mustang 8 March 31st 06 12:42 AM
turbonator muffster Ford Mustang 140 August 8th 05 11:37 PM
bin laden drives a stang [email protected] Ford Mustang 2 April 24th 05 03:53 PM
"American" TV media cover up CIA_Israeli torture Awake BMW 7 February 26th 05 02:44 PM