98 SC2 Starting/Stalling Problem Intermittent

Old March 30th 05, 02:59 AM
Gary

Default 98 SC2 Starting/Stalling Problem Intermittent

We have a 98 SC2 with about 70,000 miles.
Some days it will not start. It turns over fast, but not matter how long
you crank it it will not start. I do not smell any gas, like it is flooded.
Mostly it will not start when it is very cold. Like 10 degree winter night.
Next day it starts like there is nothing wrong.
No computer codes recorded.
Took it to one mechanic and he replaced a temperature sensor. Next night it
would not start. Took it to another mechanic (specializes in Saturns)
thought he found a loose wire on the computer. Next night it would not
start.
We were musing that the with the warmer weather the problem would go away
for a while, however now it stalls sometimes after it started and idling for
a few minutes.
The mechanics think we are nuts because it always starts for them. When it
runs it runs like clockwork. Any clues?

If you want to email me directly remove spamfree from the return address.
Otherwise feel free to post to the group.

Old March 30th 05, 02:24 PM

Lack of fuel pressure due to an intermittent fuel pump? The fuel pump
is supposed to run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition to "on"
before you go to start "start". Next time you start it cold, turn it
to on and before engaging the starter and listen for the fuel pump.

There's also the fuel pump relay in the electrical chain.

Tim.

Old March 31st 05, 02:01 AM
Gary

My brother-inlaw says he hears the pump run, but I wonder if it could
bypass. The pump would run, but there would be little pressure.
One of the mechanics replaced a temperature sensor, but I thought there
should be an error code for that. Someone else suggested a crank shaft
sensor.
A bad coil pack would cause it to miss.
Does anyone know if the computer does not come on, will the dash lights work
normally?
ups.com...

Old April 2nd 05, 01:14 AM
Kirk Kohnen

When I saw that on my late parent's SL2, it turned out to be the crankshaft
position sensor.

They're coils, and they can fail intermittently.