89 Corvette Engine Wiring

Old August 28th 04, 10:37 PM
Drink

Default 89 Corvette Engine Wiring

Hi All,
I've come across a Corvette engine ('89 350 I think) with Tuned Port
Injection. Actually the vette's totalled and I'd like to keep the engine
with TPI. what will I need to make the TPI & ignition work? I can get the
computer but no harness.
I confess ignorance about all the sensors. I can't have the transmission.
Speed sensors? DRAC? Instrument cluster inputs?
I'd really appreciate any advice to put the engine on the track again.
Best Regards,
Jim

Old August 29th 04, 04:29 AM
X-Eliminator

The safest thing would be to take the ECM box even if you have to
leave the harnesses.

Old August 29th 04, 04:29 AM
X-Eliminator

Old August 29th 04, 03:09 PM
Drink

That's cool enough and I already ensured that "I can take all the pieces
parts to make it work" and the ECM's included. I just need to make sure
that there's not something that the new chassis can't support.
If I have the ECM, aftermarket engine harness and all the IN-ENGINE
sensors, will the engine be fully contained for TPI and ignition? There's
no other speed sensor or necessary input from elsewhere in the vehicle like
speedometer, gauges, transmission, etc?
I'm gonna put this engine in a basically empty chassis with a manual
transmission. So, there's no other inputs or systems whatsoever to support
any drivetrain function besides the foot pedals.
Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
Jim

Old August 29th 04, 03:09 PM
Drink

Old August 29th 04, 03:42 PM
X-Eliminator

I think that the ZF 6 speed has 1 or 2 plugs on it (1-to-4 sensor and
the VSS) which will may not be supported by the ECM if the other car
had an automatic.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:09:37 -0500, "Drink" > wrote:

> That's cool enough and I already ensured that "I can take all the pieces
>parts to make it work" and the ECM's included. I just need to make sure
>that there's not something that the new chassis can't support.
> If I have the ECM, aftermarket engine harness and all the IN-ENGINE
>sensors, will the engine be fully contained for TPI and ignition? There's
>no other speed sensor or necessary input from elsewhere in the vehicle like
>speedometer, gauges, transmission, etc?
> I'm gonna put this engine in a basically empty chassis with a manual
>transmission. So, there's no other inputs or systems whatsoever to support
>any drivetrain function besides the foot pedals.
> Thanks for the reply.
> Regards,
> Jim
.. .

Old August 29th 04, 03:42 PM
X-Eliminator

Old August 29th 04, 04:01 PM
Drink

Hmm. The donor Vette had a 700R automatic transmission. It has a 1"x1"
square, 4-pin connector on it looking down from the top of the transmission.
I don't think that transmission's electronically controlled but am not sure
what the connector's for (speedometer?). Anyway, does this indicate the ECM
needs input from the transmission or wherever that connector goes?

Old August 29th 04, 04:01 PM
Drink

Old August 30th 04, 04:20 AM
X-Eliminator

The plug that you describe is probably the same 4 pin plug on a ZF-6
as it is on the auto. The electrical manual for my 1990 shows this 4
pin plug & the manual does NOT differentiate between auto vs. manual
(2 pins go the the ECM and the other 2 go to the selective ride
control module, so it has to be the same plug). I have seen a ZF-6 out
of the car and this plug is about 1x1 square on the forward left side
of the ZF-6 trans. ALSO on the ZF-6 is a two pin plug for the
one-to-four which connects to the instrument cluster & ECM and which
you DON'T need (and everyone routinely disconnects this plug anyway).
Hope this helps.

Shut-up Dan. Go buy a factory service manual and stop living off your
friend's ZR-1.
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:01:11 -0500, "Drink" > wrote:

> Hmm. The donor Vette had a 700R automatic transmission. It has a 1"x1"
>square, 4-pin connector on it looking down from the top of the transmission.
>I don't think that transmission's electronically controlled but am not sure
>what the connector's for (speedometer?). Anyway, does this indicate the ECM
>needs input from the transmission or wherever that connector goes?
> Jim
>"X-Eliminator" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I think that the ZF 6 speed has 1 or 2 plugs on it (1-to-4 sensor and
>> the VSS) which will may not be supported by the ECM if the other car
>> had an automatic.
>>
>> ================================================== =======
>> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:09:37 -0500, "Drink" > wrote:
>>
>> > That's cool enough and I already ensured that "I can take all the

>pieces
>> >parts to make it work" and the ECM's included. I just need to make sure
>> >that there's not something that the new chassis can't support.
>> > If I have the ECM, aftermarket engine harness and all the IN-ENGINE
>> >sensors, will the engine be fully contained for TPI and ignition?

>There's
>> >no other speed sensor or necessary input from elsewhere in the vehicle

>like
>> >speedometer, gauges, transmission, etc?
>> > I'm gonna put this engine in a basically empty chassis with a manual
>> >transmission. So, there's no other inputs or systems whatsoever to

>support
>> >any drivetrain function besides the foot pedals.
>> > Thanks for the reply.
>> > Regards,
>> > Jim
>> >"X-Eliminator" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>engine

>get
>> >the
>> >transmission.

>again.

1991 750IL - Check Engine & Transmission Program megrp BMW 0 December 15th 04 04:33 AM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Audi 3 November 30th 04 01:53 AM
protect your car's engine Waltervw BMW 1 November 24th 04 04:14 PM
protect your car's engine Waltervw Alfa Romeo 0 November 23rd 04 03:00 PM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM