The Last Really Good Chrysler Product

Old October 21st 04, 10:51 PM
James C. Reeves

"Steve" > wrote in message
| James C. Reeves wrote:
|
| > "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
| > n.umich.edu...
| > | On Wed, 19 Oct 2004, Ted Azito wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | The AA-body (Spirit, Acclaim, LeBaron sedan, export Saratoga) 1989-1995.
| >
| > If so, one would think that there would still be these models on the road
now.
| > I don't see them very often. The old A bodies you saw frequently on the
road
| > well into the 80's.
|
| In the first place, I DO see a lot of them around. In the second place,
| they probably built about half as many AA-bodies as they did A-bodies
| over the years.
|
| And FWIW, I differ from Dan here in that I really never could stand any
| of the K-derivative cars. But they were incredibly durable in a
| cockroach-and-rat sort of way. At least the ones that didn't have the
| Mitsubishi 3.0. :-/

My mother in law is still driving a late 80's Aries. Of course she is in her
80's herself, so it fits.

Old October 21st 04, 11:34 PM
James C. Reeves

"Geoff" > wrote in message
icas.hpqcorp.net...

| James C. Reeves wrote:
|
| > Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:41:28 -0400
| > From: James C. Reeves >
| > Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.chrysler
| > Subject: The Last Really Good Chrysler Product
| >
| > The 300C is the wrong car for the wrong time. Gas will be at $4.00 to
$5.00 a
| > gallon in a few short years with China (and other "emerging markets")
sucking
| > up oil at a 30%+ per year growth rate with supply channels already at full
| > production. So, most of them will be left parked in the driveway along
with
| > the SUVs. Too expensive to drive and no one will want them (so no one will
buy
| > them off of you). They may be good...(yet to be seen), but part of being
good
| > is that it fits the times. I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole...it
has
| > "loosing your shirt" written all over it!
|
| Put me down as being one of the first in line to buy a used, V8-equipped
| LX at a fire sale price!
|
| I can't wait!!!!
|
| --Geoff

3-4 years. It will fly by quickly. You'll have plenty of choices too.
History repeats itself from time-to-time, so have faith and hang on! :-)

Old October 21st 04, 11:34 PM
James C. Reeves

icas.hpqcorp.net...

Old October 22nd 04, 02:35 AM
Steven Fleckenstein

In the early 60's my Dad bought a 1956 Dodge from an old lady on the block for
$100. It a a "Red Ram" engine, a really neat interior with push button
automatic transmission, real vent windows on all for doors, a real oil pressure
gauge, the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in with tons of room, and a pop
up air vent that you moved a big chrome lever under the dash to activate. think
it was white over green. A really fun car.

A friend in high school was given a 68 Charger by his father. I drove in it
once. The one thing that really stuck to me about that car was that it as
"solid" stiff, body. no frills but it felt "strong"

We had a 68 Coronet with a 318. That 318 went like a bat out of hell. It was
just the right hp / weight ratio. Shame it was stolen and few months later.

We had alot of Darts, 64, 70, 74 model years to name a few. The slant six
engines and transmissions were solid but the bodies rotted away. but so did the
Fords and GM products of the same time.

In article >,
says...

Old October 22nd 04, 02:35 AM
Steven Fleckenstein

Old October 22nd 04, 03:13 AM
Joe

"Steve" > wrote in message
> James C. Reeves wrote:
>
> > The 300C is the wrong car for the wrong time. Gas will be at $4.00 to

$5.00 a
> > gallon in a few short years with China (and other "emerging markets")

sucking
> > up oil at a 30%+ per year growth rate with supply channels already at

full
> > production. So, most of them will be left parked in the driveway along

with
> > the SUVs. Too expensive to drive and no one will want them (so no one

will buy
> > them off of you). They may be good...(yet to be seen), but part of

being good
> > is that it fits the times. I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot

pole...it has
> > "loosing your shirt" written all over it!
> >

> Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

He's telling you the truth. We have 3% of the population and use 25% of the
energy. If only India and China come up to 1/10 (one-tenth) of our standard
of living, where's the extra energy going to come from? Anybody got any
ideas? China's economy is growing at about 10% a year or so.

Old October 22nd 04, 03:13 AM
Joe

Old October 22nd 04, 11:57 PM
James C. Reeves

"Joe" > wrote in message

| "Steve" > wrote in message
| > James C. Reeves wrote:
| >
| > > The 300C is the wrong car for the wrong time. Gas will be at $4.00 to
| $5.00 a
| > > gallon in a few short years with China (and other "emerging markets")
| sucking
| > > up oil at a 30%+ per year growth rate with supply channels already at
| full
| > > production. So, most of them will be left parked in the driveway along
| with
| > > the SUVs. Too expensive to drive and no one will want them (so no one
| will buy
| > > them off of you). They may be good...(yet to be seen), but part of
| being good
| > > is that it fits the times. I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot
| pole...it has
| > > "loosing your shirt" written all over it!
| > >

| > Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?
| >

| He's telling you the truth. We have 3% of the population and use 25% of the
| energy. If only India and China come up to 1/10 (one-tenth) of our standard
| of living, where's the extra energy going to come from? Anybody got any
| ideas? China's economy is growing at about 10% a year or so.

Thus the reason we, as a people, will always repeat history. We simply refuse
to learn from it...then cry the blues when it does happen (why didn't the
President do something?) when it's all our own fault. Oh well...hang on. Glad
my commute is only 4-miles and I have a telecommute option. I can go over a
month on a tank of gas if I absolutely must. Now the fuel oil to heat my house
is a bigger problem!! :-(

Old October 22nd 04, 11:57 PM
James C. Reeves

Old October 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Joe wrote:

> He's telling you the truth. We have 3% of the population and use 25% of
> the energy. If only India and China come up to 1/10 (one-tenth) of our
> standard of living, where's the extra energy going to come from? Anybody
> got any ideas? China's economy is growing at about 10% a year or so.

And the worst part is, it doesn't have to be this way. We could
simultaneously reduce greenhouse gas emissions, preserve and multiply
American jobs and greatly retard the increase of oil prices.

All we'd have to do is quit buying from China.