Engine Break-in?

Old May 13th 05, 04:56 PM
Steve

Old Wolf wrote:

>>Forget that! Brake materials seat within 20 or 30 miles of normal
>>driving.

> By 'seat', do you mean, the pads sitting squarely in the caliper ?
> (Excuse my ignorance)

I mean "develop a wear pattern such that the pad makes maximum surface
contact with the rotor." In other words, wear off the high spots.

>>Do one or two "panic" stops during that period to bed the pads
>>in (not back-to-back, give them plenty of time to cool between hard
>>stops) and then forget it!

> I was warned to not brake heavily during the first few hundred
> k of new pads, in case they "glazed". Is this accurate?
>
> I also got the same warning for a new clutch.

You can "glaze" some types pads (or a clutch of certain materials) at
ANY point in their life by overheating them. A hard panic stop or three
spaced far enough apart to let the pad and rotor cool off isn't going to
overheat anything to the point of glazing over, but it squeezes down on
the pads hard enough that it does establish a wear pattern that matches
the rotor.