2001 Coupe going to fail State Inspection - Hand Brake Issue

Old August 17th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

Default 2001 Coupe going to fail State Inspection - Hand Brake Issue

I had my car at the dealer for another issue and was told I may need to
have my hand (or parking brake?) pads replaced before the State safety
inspection due in Sep. They said it will not hold the car at 1200 RPM's.

I tried it and it will only hold if you really pull hard on the hand
brake. I recall reading something one time that you can adjust the hand
brake by using it to stop in reverse. Is this true?
Old August 17th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

What is the procedure for adjusting a C5 hand brake?
Old August 18th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

Apply and fully release the lever 3 times to fully remove the slack, is
what is in the manual.

Old August 18th 06, 03:06 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

In article >, Bob I >
wrote:

> Apply and fully release the lever 3 times to fully remove the slack, is
> what is in the manual.
>
> aRKay wrote:
> > What is the procedure for adjusting a C5 hand brake?

Bob,

I just went outside and tried it three times. Did not seem to do much.
Maybe my hand brake pads are bad? The service writer at the dealership
said it has to be able to hold the car at 1200 RPM. I think it would
hold if I had an automatic. Kind of hard to do with a 6-Speed.

aRKay
Old August 18th 06, 03:44 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Bob I wrote:
> Apply and fully release the lever 3 times to fully remove the slack, is
> what is in the manual.
>
> aRKay wrote:
>> What is the procedure for adjusting a C5 hand brake?

I'm completely blown away by the 1200 rpm state requirement. Nice for a
Corolla with automatic, rather questionable for a 'vette (particularly
with 6-spd.) Respects to Texas but this sounds a bad case of "dumb in
the statehouse."

No mention of adjustment in the '02 manual but it was a C4 feature and
probably applies to all C5s as well. Can't tell if my slack adjuster
does anything because most of my parking is on level surfaces and
putting it in reverse is about all I want to do.

Section 7 of the '02 owner's manual has a test for the parking brake.
Park on a "steep" downgrade, apply the brake, put the car in neutral,
see if it holds. That seems better than trying to overpower the brake
with the engine.

Next concern is with the dealer. Did they provide a measure of
remaining pad thickness on the service invoice or is a case of, "Service
advisor clairvoyance?" (I personally doubt that they would measure
remaining pad thickness unless you paid for such an inspection or it was
part of one of those "annual" service packages that goes for $ 300-400.)

--
PJ
Old August 18th 06, 11:52 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

In article <1R9Fg.1207$Tl4.384@dukeread06>, PJ >
wrote:

> Bob I wrote:
> > Apply and fully release the lever 3 times to fully remove the slack, is
> > what is in the manual.
> >
> > aRKay wrote:
> >> What is the procedure for adjusting a C5 hand brake?

> I'm completely blown away by the 1200 rpm state requirement. Nice for a
> Corolla with automatic, rather questionable for a 'vette (particularly
> with 6-spd.) Respects to Texas but this sounds a bad case of "dumb in
> the statehouse."
>
> No mention of adjustment in the '02 manual but it was a C4 feature and
> probably applies to all C5s as well. Can't tell if my slack adjuster
> does anything because most of my parking is on level surfaces and
> putting it in reverse is about all I want to do.
>
> Section 7 of the '02 owner's manual has a test for the parking brake.
> Park on a "steep" downgrade, apply the brake, put the car in neutral,
> see if it holds. That seems better than trying to overpower the brake
> with the engine.
>
> Next concern is with the dealer. Did they provide a measure of
> remaining pad thickness on the service invoice or is a case of, "Service
> advisor clairvoyance?" (I personally doubt that they would measure
> remaining pad thickness unless you paid for such an inspection or it was
> part of one of those "annual" service packages that goes for $ 300-400.)
>
> --
> PJ

PJ,

I suspected a dealer rip off when they advised me the hand brake would
not pass the Texas safety inspection and I may need new pads for $200 to
$250.

About the only time I ever use the hand brake is while stopped a red
light on steep hill when some dumb-ass driver pulls right up behind me.
I start and then release the brake to save having to ride the clutch and
prevent rolling back. I also use it when parked on steep hills. It
does these jobs fine.

State safety inspections generate extra income for garages; however, I
question if they really keep the junkers off the road. The junkers do
not have inspection stickers, current license plates or insurance. They
don't get ticked because it is a waste of police time and does not
really generate income. Safety inspections are just another form of
taxation.
Old August 18th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Empty3

"aRKay" > wrote in message
>I had my car at the dealer for another issue and was told I may need to
> have my hand (or parking brake?) pads replaced before the State safety
> inspection due in Sep. They said it will not hold the car at 1200 RPM's.
>
> I tried it and it will only hold if you really pull hard on the hand
> brake. I recall reading something one time that you can adjust the hand
> brake by using it to stop in reverse. Is this true?

What state is requiring this, mine expires in September too

Empty3

Old August 18th 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"aRKay" > wrote in message
> About the only time I ever use the hand brake is while
> stopped a red
> light on steep hill when some dumb-ass driver pulls right
> up behind me.
> I start and then release the brake to save having to ride
> the clutch and
> prevent rolling back.

why not use your break peddle to hold it instead ?

> I also use it when parked on steep hills. It
> does these jobs fine.

I think smoke is being blowed your way :-)
if it works ? don't fix it.
you can probably pass inspection anyway.
I would just try first, before trying to correct a problem
that doesn't exist.

my2¢
--
"Key"

Old August 18th 06, 08:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob I

What?!?! Manual transmission. Service writer needs to be hit with a
cluebat. Notify the dealership that they need to hire competent personnel.

Old August 19th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
aRKay

In article >,
"Empty3" > wrote:

> What state is requiring this, mine expires in September too

Your great state of Texas.