short in my 97 intrepid 3.5L

Old December 21st 04, 08:13 AM
lxafall02

Default short in my 97 intrepid 3.5L

I changed out my plugs and wires, and after i was done i went to start the
car. It sputtered, then died. Afterwards i get a clicking and my battery
dies. Best I can figure i need to reground something, ungroung something,
or find an unplugged wire. I can't find it, any ideas where to look?

Old December 21st 04, 05:05 PM
Sarge

"lxafall02" wrote in message: "I changed out my plugs and wires, and after i
was done i went to start the car. It sputtered, then died. Afterwards i
get a clicking and my battery dies. Best I can figure i need to reground
something, ungroung something, or find an unplugged wire. I can't find it,
any ideas where to look?"

First take both terminals and clean them. Then try to start. If you still
have the problem check check to see if battery is properly charged. Try
jump starting it. It could be the starter is drawing to many amps and the
battery cannot turn it over.

Sarge

Old December 21st 04, 09:10 PM

Check your ignition module. These need to be replaced. This is where
all your plug wires go to. You could try cleaning the terminals but?

Bill
1994 Dodge (Customized) Intrepid winner Mopar Nationals First Gen 2003.
2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T

Old December 22nd 04, 12:43 AM
lxafall02

Allright I have already cleaned the terminals and my distributor is good.
My battery checks out. all my interior lights, and even my a.c. come on
when i try to start it. it won't even turn over and try to start. it
clicks like there isn't enough power in the battery and then it will die
out if i leave the key in the ignition. sometimes the negative terminal
sparks and then when it sits it gets hot. However when i go to jump start
the car, it clicks and everything dies out anyway. there is also a clicking
noise coming from this round thing that has the throttle cable going
through it. I'm not sure what the part is, but it makes a clicking noise
a few seconds after the car is turned off and doesn't die it will make
that noise. someone told me something is arching and I need to find out
where it's doing that. I was also changing my oil and filter and some of
my spark plugs had oil on them. It might have been because there was too
much oil put in before I got it. It had over 6-7 quarts. I'm stuck and
out of ideas. what is happening, can anyone tell me?! any ideas?

Old December 22nd 04, 02:45 AM
aarcuda69062

In article
outautos.com>,
"lxafall02" > wrote:

> Allright I have already cleaned the terminals and my distributor is good.
> My battery checks out. all my interior lights, and even my a.c. come on
> when i try to start it. it won't even turn over and try to start. it
> clicks like there isn't enough power in the battery and then it will die
> out if i leave the key in the ignition. sometimes the negative terminal
> sparks and then when it sits it gets hot. However when i go to jump start
> the car, it clicks and everything dies out anyway. there is also a clicking
> noise coming from this round thing that has the throttle cable going
> through it. I'm not sure what the part is, but it makes a clicking noise
> a few seconds after the car is turned off and doesn't die it will make
> that noise. someone told me something is arching and I need to find out
> where it's doing that. I was also changing my oil and filter and some of
> my spark plugs had oil on them. It might have been because there was too
> much oil put in before I got it. It had over 6-7 quarts. I'm stuck and
> out of ideas. what is happening, can anyone tell me?! any ideas?

Sparks at the negative terminal isn't good.
Probably a loose or corroded connection.
There may be hydrogen gas in the vicinity of the battery, you'd
be courting disaster when the hydrogen gas and spark meet up with
each other. Correct the sparking condition before you blow the
battery up and shower yourself and your underhood with battery
acid!

Watch the dome light while you attempt to crank the engine, if
the dome light goes completely out, you have a dead battery, a
very high resistance connection somewhere or high current draw in
the starter motor. If the dome light doesn't change intensity,
there is an open circuit somewhere to the starter.

It's entirely plausible that during your repair work, you had a
light burning (possibly the under hood light or left a door or
the trunk open) for an extended period of time and killed an
already marginal battery or that combined with some heavily
corroded battery cable connections.
Old December 22nd 04, 02:45 AM
aarcuda69062

In article
outautos.com>,

Old December 26th 04, 03:40 AM

Try adding a second ground wire from the battery to something metal in
on the frame. We had the same problem for about three years. We had a
jumper box and everytime we would take the negative cable off the car
it would die and when we would try to start it nothing but clcik from
the starter.