Petrol Engine for Bicyle?

Old September 12th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pretzelz

Default Petrol Engine for Bicyle?

Hi everyone,

I know nothing about Mechanics, but in the smallish city in England
that i live, I think a petrol powerered bicycle would be really cool!
The traffic is always bad here, so I wondered how feasible it would be
to attach an engine to a bike. (I'm not interested in an electric
motor)

Does anyone know of any simple petrol motor kits which are sold that
can be attached to a bike? I found one example of such a bike called
the VeloSolex: http://freespace.virgin.net/stones.ukp/velosolex.htm
but it's nearly £1000.

I found one on Ebay, but it's located in Austrailia, but better priced
at: £282.

Any hints or pointers?

Old September 12th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pretzelz

For anyone interested in converting your bike, I found the exact answer
I was looking for he http://www.motorizedfoldupbikes.com/

It's a US company who makes simple engine kits to install onto the back
on a bicycle. Quick release, so I'm not sure how secure that would be
in public.

If anyone would care to look at the website and comment about the
different models of engine available (they have five engines named
under the ENGINE KITS menu on the left). Unfortunately the people who
made the website decided to give a specification for each engine, but
different statistical information for each one, so its harder to
compare some of the models.

Prices are pretty good though, around $300 to $450 - much better than
buying a complete petrol bicycle all in one.

Old September 12th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kaz Kylheku

Pretzelz wrote:
> I know nothing about Mechanics, but in the smallish city in England
> that i live, I think a petrol powerered bicycle would be really cool!

Ever heard of something called a "moped?"

Old September 12th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Daniel[_1_]

Pretzelz wrote:
> I know nothing about Mechanics, so I wondered how feasible it would be
> to attach an engine to a bike.
> Any hints or pointers?

You should consider a complete unit with wheel strength, braking and
suspension designed to match the capabilities of the engine.
The pedals are going to wind up primarily as footrests, since you would
be pedalling extra weight.
Best to just look at a small motorcycle and study the Smith System of
Space Cushion driving to keep yourself alive.
Actually, you'll soon discover that a larger motorcyle can be safer
than a smaller one since you have more power and control.
A small Honda isn't much different from a moped and you get brake
lights and turn signals.
For a real road going bike, an old BMW would be my choice.

Old September 12th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Pretzelz

Thanks, I already have a moped and a car. I just thought the idea of
buzzing about on a bike with an engine would be fun.

Old September 12th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

What you are looking for is called a Moped. A Velosolex is one such
animal.

I am in Canada and don't have a source, but they do sell motors to put
on regular bicycles. They then become 'mopeds' and require lights and a
license and helmet to drive them on the street.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 13th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

It is possible to attach a small motor that drives directly on the
tire. To be honest I think that you will find all of the fiddling to
get it attached and running will not be worth the modest power assist
you will get. If inexpensive transport in heavy traffic is what you
are looking for then consider a moped, or even a small scooter.