squeaking clutch at friction point

Old February 14th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default squeaking clutch at friction point

"Chas Hurst" > wrote in message
. ..

> "webmaster" > wrote in message
> > "Natman" > wrote in message

> >> .. .

> > no
> >> >

> >> The clutch slave cylinder is on the *passenger* side. The radiator is
> >> on the front of the car. The entire engine is between the radiator and
> >> the slave cylinder.
> >>
> >> IIRC, there is a spring in the slave cylinder that automatically
> >> adjusts play betweent the pushrod and the clutch arm. If the play
> >> disappeared how would one adjust it?

> > I've got a 626 with a 4 cylinder engine. The location of the slave
> > cylinder
> > might be different on the miata.
> >
> > The freeplay is adjusted on the clutch pedal.

> Mazda has used self adjusting clutches for decades. There is no freeplay.

Here's from the Haynes manual for the Mazda 626, 1993 to 1998,
page 8-7, section 8.5, "To adjust the pedal freeplay, loosen the locknut on the
clutch pushrod. Turn the pushrod to adjust the pedal freeplay to the specified
range and retighten the locknut."

Old February 14th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"webmaster" > wrote in message

> "Chas Hurst" > wrote in message
> . ..

>> > no

>> > I've got a 626 with a 4 cylinder engine. The location of the slave
>> > cylinder
>> > might be different on the miata.
>> >
>> > The freeplay is adjusted on the clutch pedal.

>> Mazda has used self adjusting clutches for decades. There is no freeplay.

> Here's from the Haynes manual for the Mazda 626, 1993 to 1998,
> page 8-7, section 8.5, "To adjust the pedal freeplay, loosen the locknut
> on the
> clutch pushrod. Turn the pushrod to adjust the pedal freeplay to the
> specified
> range and retighten the locknut."

Haynes is not always accurate. Furthermore your quote concerns the clutch
pedal adjustment. There is no adjustment for clutch freeplay.

Old February 14th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 02:00:11 GMT, "webmaster" >
wrote:

>"Natman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:49:43 GMT, "webmaster" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Natman" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Open the hood and look down the space between the engine and the radiator,
>> >slightly on the driver's side. Its pretty far down, past the engine, on the
>> >side of the transmission. If someone pushes the clutch pedal, you can see it
>> >move.
>> >
>> >Also check your free play. If it disappears, your clutch will be worn out in

>no
>> >time, an expensive mistake.
>> >

>> The clutch slave cylinder is on the *passenger* side. The radiator is
>> on the front of the car. The entire engine is between the radiator and
>> the slave cylinder.
>>
>> IIRC, there is a spring in the slave cylinder that automatically
>> adjusts play betweent the pushrod and the clutch arm. If the play
>> disappeared how would one adjust it?

>I've got a 626 with a 4 cylinder engine. The location of the slave cylinder
>might be different on the miata.
>
>The freeplay is adjusted on the clutch pedal.

Well, that might explain it. Since this is a Miata forum and the
original poster had a Miata and nobody, including you, had mentioned
626s, I assumed we were talking about, well, Miatas. :>)

The 626 is frontwheel drive with a transverse engine. The Miata is RWD
with a longitudinal engine. So yes, the position of the clutch
cylinder is different.

Old February 15th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

> last month, i purchased a 2000 miata with 23k miles on it (was the
> weekend car for the couple that owned it previously). about 2 weeks
> ago, i started noticing a squeak while the clutch passed through the
> friction point.

Same thing here, on a 95 with 45m that was a weekend car. It squeaked a bit,
then I noticed I'd almost run out of fluid (slave cylinder leak), filled
that back up, I haven't noticed the squeak for some time now. I'd say check
your fluids and give it some time while you use it more.

miker

Old February 17th 06, 07:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

cool deal--will check the slave cylinder and reservoir. thanks for
everyone's advice.

sandheep

Old February 17th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" wrote:

> As much as I hate adding even more laws, I would support any ban on using
> cell phones while driving, with significant fines and real enforcement.

In Belgium (and most other european countries) that's already in the law.
Only "handsfree" calling is allowed.

Fine is about ? 50, that will be raised to ? 100 in April. Countries where
you really don't want to get caught are Spain (? 600), Norway (? 640) and
Poland (? 1520).

IIRC, at this moment 1 EUR = 1.2 USD?

Steven

- - -

Old February 17th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Steven Spits" write:

> Fine is about ? 50, that will be raised to ? 100 in April. Countries where
> you really don't want to get caught are Spain (? 600), Norway (? 640) and
> Poland (? 1520).

Mmm, obviously the euro-sign is not in my character set... Replace question
marks with http://www.hegrobelgium.be/eur/sign_euro.jpg :-)

Steven

- - -

97 TJ 4.0L Clutch Won't Release - Throw Out Bearing Gone? Tqm Jeep 20 January 19th 06 02:04 AM
Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 02:33 AM
95 Jeep Wrangler Shifting problems [email protected] Jeep 12 January 21st 05 06:56 PM
Clutch question XS11E Ford Mustang 8 December 9th 04 06:12 PM
Alpha 156 2.4 JTD clutch biting point Nick Alfa Romeo 6 July 7th 04 03:48 PM