Perhaps I should buy a Miata?

Old December 13th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Perhaps I should buy a Miata?

I'll second Pats note, give me the guys # !

I'm dieing to hear more here from Lloyd, what kind of shape is this $900 BRG
miata in? I hope your buddy doesn't read here cause those BRG's for whatever
reason, seem to (I won't say 'sell') be listed for higher prices than any
other old miata. Maybe it's trashed inside and out. I guess what I'm saying
is, that's called a 'steal' if it's in even drivable condition.

As for the winter driving issue, I love it in the snow, I've had my NA in
the snow several times with all season tires (something highly recomended
against here) and was very impressed. I love steering with the throttle, you
drive it like you're in a cobra with huge hp, it's a blast. The convertable
top especially with the plastic rear window would be a huge problem for me
if I still lived in the great white north. I'm told that if you touch it in
super low temps, it SHATTERS! That's not a small problem! Sure, you could
remember that but what about friends / neighbors/passersby, anyone could
cause this catastrophe by accident! I'd have to have at least a glass rear
window and preferrably a hardtop for the winter months.

Seats are fabulous!Suspension and tire pressure / type make a big difference
in trip-ability. Headroom is pretty good I'm 6-2 and have plenty of head
room.

Go for it and keep us posted.
Chris
99BBB
92BB&T FS

Old December 13th 05, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> The convertable
> top especially with the plastic rear window would be a huge problem for me
> if I still lived in the great white north. I'm told that if you touch it in
> super low temps, it SHATTERS! That's not a small problem! Sure, you could
> remember that but what about friends / neighbors/passersby, anyone could
> cause this catastrophe by accident! I'd have to have at least a glass rear
> window and preferrably a hardtop for the winter months.

I heard that a frozen plastic window will shatter if someone even looks
at it or thinks about it too hard while it is frozen.

I also remember the story of the "helpful" neighbor, who used an ice
scraper on the miata next door as a favor. Oops! He was at least
successful in removing the ice along with the window.

The glass window is by far what I miss the most on my last miata, but I
don't think that one is made that will work with the rollbar that I have.

I would also be interested to hear about the miles and condition of this
'91 BRG, just out of curiousity.

Pat
Old December 13th 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> I heard that a frozen plastic window will shatter if someone even looks
> at it or thinks about it too hard while it is frozen.

Mine's survived being driven at -10F. In fact, the vinyl in the top is
almost as prone to cracking as the window. My car is garaged, so I've
never had to clean snow off, but the only safe way to remove frost is
with the eyeball vents aimed between the seats.

As for trips, our longest uninterrupted drive was 25 hours. I find the
leather seat very comfortable, after stuffing a folded T-shirt inside
the back pad for lumbar support, but there's little room to vary one's
position. The trick is using cruise control plus stopping every 2 or 3
hours for a stretch. Drink a lot of water/soda/coffee, and you won't
forget to stop.

To the original poster: take a test drive, top up and down. If you're a
Miata person, you'll know. If you have any doubts about living with the
compromises imposed by a small roadster, better buy something with a
roof. It's no fun being a martyr.

That siad, I just returned from a 90-minute errand. It's 36 degrees, and
the top and windows were down. I forgot my windblocker and my ears got a
little chilly. The envy on other drivers' faces: priceless.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old December 13th 05, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> Mine's survived being driven at -10F. In fact, the vinyl in the top is
> almost as prone to cracking as the window. My car is garaged, so I've
> never had to clean snow off, but the only safe way to remove frost is
> with the eyeball vents aimed between the seats.
>
> As for trips, our longest uninterrupted drive was 25 hours. I find the
> leather seat very comfortable, after stuffing a folded T-shirt inside
> the back pad for lumbar support, but there's little room to vary one's
> position. The trick is using cruise control plus stopping every 2 or 3
> hours for a stretch. Drink a lot of water/soda/coffee, and you won't
> forget to stop.
>
> To the original poster: take a test drive, top up and down. If you're a
> Miata person, you'll know. If you have any doubts about living with the
> compromises imposed by a small roadster, better buy something with a
> roof. It's no fun being a martyr.
>
> That siad, I just returned from a 90-minute errand. It's 36 degrees, and
> the top and windows were down. I forgot my windblocker and my ears got a
> little chilly. The envy on other drivers' faces: priceless.

Are you sure that look wasn't one of "that guy is crazy!"?

I was driving top down and it was about 50 degrees out when a truck
pulled up next to me and the driver, who appeared to be steering with
his belly, rolled down his window and drawled, "ain't that cold with yer
top down?".
I just smiled and said, "yep". I thought that would probably be the best
response.

I am not sure that I have even been outdoors when it was -10 degrees.
The horror! ;-) (only a slight exaggeration)

It is 72 degrees right now, perfect for a night drive, just gotta look
out for those deer. They are everywhere out here, something will have to
be done soon.

Pat
Old December 14th 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Hunting Pat, that's the answer. Go shoot a couple! Actually, that is used as
a form of control of over population right? It's good for the deer hunters!
My older daughter was, how do you say........unnerved by a deer a few months
ago when it came at her car while she was at highway speeds and jumped OVER
her car. Priceless!

Chris
99BBB

Old December 14th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Hunting Pat, that's the answer. Go shoot a couple!

Don't even need a gun, they get close enough that a spear thrust would
get one.

Unfortunately, I am part of the problem, feeding the damn things.
Supposedly they have quadrupled their numbers in the area in the last 3
years. There is at least one in my yard most of the time, and I have
counted as many as 18 at once.
They come up like pets, and will actually come over and check out what
is in the miata trunk while I am unloading the car.

Actually, that is used as
> a form of control of over population right?

Yes, they are discussing controlled kills now. They would relocate them,
but there is nowhere to take them.

It's good for the deer hunters!

You bet, and some, if not all of the venison goes to feeding the homeless.
There have been bounties in the past, but in populated areas, I think
that they use a person from the Parks & Wildlife Dept. who sets up safe
bait and kill sites.

> My older daughter was, how do you say........unnerved by a deer a few months
> ago when it came at her car while she was at highway speeds and jumped OVER
> her car. Priceless!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Wow! Glad your daughter is alright. I wish my deer had jumped higher and
cleared my '96M, you would think the big doe could clear a lowered
miata. ;-)

Pat
Old December 14th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers wrote:

<snip>

> That siad, I just returned from a 90-minute errand. It's 36 degrees,
> and the top and windows were down. I forgot my windblocker and my
> ears got a little chilly. The envy on other drivers' faces: priceless.

I'll admit to not understanding the whole "top down in the winter" thing. To
hear a lot of people around here talk, you're not a "real" Miata owner
unless you leave the top down during all seasons and never listen to the
radio.

--
tooloud
Hardtop firmly attached six months a year

Old December 14th 05, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

If you've tried it and don't really enjoy it then no problem, it's not for
you. That said, I thuroughly enjoy top down driving in cool / cold weather,
it's awesome. It's no different than riding a motorcycle in the cold. When I
lived up north and had a bike, when it was 40 or above and clear roads, I'd
get it out and get a ride in. As with anything else, it's in some way a
right of passage type of thing I guess but mostly it's just a blast.

It's all about feeding your senses.
Chris
99BBB

Old December 14th 05, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2005-12-14, tooloud > wrote:

>> That siad, I just returned from a 90-minute errand. It's 36
>> degrees, and the top and windows were down. I forgot my
>> windblocker and my ears got a little chilly. The envy on other
>> drivers' faces: priceless.

> I'll admit to not understanding the whole "top down in the
> winter" thing. To hear a lot of people around here talk,
> you're not a "real" Miata owner unless you leave the top down
> during all seasons and never listen to the radio.

While 40 is proably the low end of what I consider top down
weather, I've never understood the whole "top down when it's
hot" thing. For me, optimal top-down weather is low to mid 60's
and sunny. Much above 75 is just too hot for me. The top
definitly goes up if it hits 90.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... I live in a
at FUR-LINE FALLOUT SHELTER
Old December 14th 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article <Q3Mnf.627694$_o.69220@attbi_s71>,
"tooloud" > wrote:

> I'll admit to not understanding the whole "top down in the winter" thing.

My lower limit is usually 40F. In January and February, we always get a
couple of mid-winter thaws, and it's a great lift to the spirit to go
for a top-down spin during a break in the snow and ice. The windows are
generally brief, and I'll drop everything to exploit them, just for the
joy of it. Sometimes it reaches 60, and I don't need a jacket or hat.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis