Questions on Automatic to 5 Speed Conversion

Old February 17th 05, 09:58 PM
Lee

Default Questions on Automatic to 5 Speed Conversion

What should the book time be around for this Conversion?

I'm told 10 to 13 hours at $75 per hour is what i'm being charged now.
does this sound fair?

it's bone stock automatic and i bought the kit, pedal assebly , transmission
, fly wheel , clutch kit , axels, starter , all washers,spacers and misc
parts for the job. car still have the bad auto tranny in it when i droped it
off.
any ideas would be great. Thanks

-Lee

Old February 17th 05, 10:23 PM
Woodchuck

What kinda car?

Old February 17th 05, 11:36 PM
Lee

1996 Jetta GL

erver.com...

Old February 18th 05, 03:38 AM
One out of many daves

sounds like a lot of time is needed to do that job!
too many little jobs to make the conversion and when you add it up = time
I want to say that book time might just be 4-5 hours for R&I transmission.
Pedal assembly might be 2-3 hours not counting the clutch master and line
install so add maybe another 1.5 hours.
Not sure on the shifter replacement. :-)
My book only covers the A2s though so the A3 times might be different.

shifter
pedal assembly with clutch set up (Hydraulic I think)
transmission and possibly axles

I am tempted to do this to my 91 Passat. <g>
I believe it sounds less expensive than replacing your automatic
transmission. ;-)

Old February 18th 05, 07:29 AM
ThaDriver

Dave,
I have a 5-speed & shifter from a '90 Cabriolet above Atlanta if you need
them - $200. Keeping the pedal assy. (it's the mid-engine project - using
Fiero manual trans), but it's probably available at the junkyard.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old February 19th 05, 04:53 PM
One out of many daves

Thanks Paul,
I am not sure that the components from a Cabriolet will fit my 91 Passat.
;-)
I'll try to contact the person I sold my 90 Passat too, maybe he has the
shifter and pedal assembly still.

Good luck with that mid-engine project. I will assume it is in a Type 1
vehicle?
I guess I would have tried using all VW parts and installed a Rabbit
powertrain in a Type 1.
later,
dave

lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 19th 05, 09:41 PM
ThaDriver

>Good luck with that mid-engine project. I will assume it is in a Type 1
vehicle?
I guess I would have tried using all VW parts and installed a Rabbit
powertrain in a Type 1.
later,
dave
********
No; it's the '90 Cabriolet I plan to put an LT1 350 in mid-engine (thus
the reason I have/am selling the Cab. parts, including engine & 5-speed).
I already have the Fiero running gear (& the 350), & have cut out all the
rear sheetmetal/framework... I do *not* yet have the funds for the
350/Fiero adaptor. A modded image close to what I want it to look like (if
I paint it black) can be seen at:
http://AngelOnEarth.net/Cabrio/BlackCabriolet.html
The hood I'm working on can be seen at:
http://AngelOnEarth.net/Cabrio/Cabrio.html Blue car on that page has been
sold/traded for an Indy Fiero. (yet another project I can't afford! LOL)
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 20th 05, 01:53 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

WHEW, you make my thoughts of converting automatics to manuals as easy as
cutting butter with a hot knife. lol

Good luck and I wish you a speedy and painless modification. ;-)
It WILL look good when you finish.

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old February 20th 05, 05:11 AM

a friend aqquired a 98 jetta that his dad took to a "quickie serv",
and filled the tranny with dexron. dr. bob in louisville, ky, put in a
5-speed, all parts and labor for $2200. no problems, extremely
professional job.
Old February 20th 05, 08:48 AM
ThaDriver

>WHEW, you make my thoughts of converting automatics to manuals as easy as

cutting butter with a hot knife. lol
Good luck and I wish you a speedy and painless modification. ;-)
It WILL look good when you finish.
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
***********
Yeah; I tend to get a *tad* radical....
My friends all say I'm a glutton for punishment. LOL
I'll need $$$ more than luck. (but thanks anyway :-)
BTW, my type ones can be seen at http://angelonearth.net/me.html (blue
Cabriolet - now sold, & blue street baja) &
http://AngelOnEarth.net/photo.html (Annie the off-road baja bug & some
other photos).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"