Alfa 156 1.8TS engine stops then won't start for 10 mins

Old February 5th 05, 04:32 PM
johnafish

Default Alfa 156 1.8TS engine stops then won't start for 10 mins

This week my Alfa 156 (1999) has started to cut-out, basically the engine
just stops (like it's been turned off) when this happens it won't start
again for 10 or 20 minutes. When it does eventually start it'll run for
another 5-15 mins perfectly well then stops again. There's no misfire or
deterioation, it's fine then it just stops.

Initially I thought it was a loose connection as the engine started again
after I'd wiggled all the wires/connectors under the bonnet, I've since
cleaned & creased the connectors. In reality I've now discovered that just
leaving it for a while is enough.

It always seems to happen while idling in stop-start traffic (or at
traffic lights) but this could be coincidence. It seems to run for longer
from cold, and it ran for an hour yesterday without the fault occurring at
all (not in stop-start traffic).

When the fault occurs nothing else unusual happens except of course the
warning lights come on like they would if I stalled the engine.

The only other odd thing is that the alarm has gone off several times in
recent weeks for no apparent reason, parked on the driveway, windows
closed, not windy, it never used to do this, could it be related?

I'm really stumped, I don't want to send it to my (not very) local Alfa
Dealer as they seem to be completely inept.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be keen to hear them. Also can someone tell me
where the ECU is on the car and where I might find a wiring diagram.

Old February 5th 05, 10:00 PM
alfistagj

Low fuel pressure, dirty fuel filter???
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"johnafish" > schreef in bericht
lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 5th 05, 10:43 PM
johnafish

I'll look into that, thanks very much.

Old February 6th 05, 04:07 PM
Hellraiser

Sounds more like cam position sensor to me.

Hellraiser........>

lkaboutautos.com...

Old February 6th 05, 06:04 PM
johnafish

Where is / what is the cam position sensor?

I've pretty much eliminated the fuel supply as the problem, fuel pump is
working fine, filter is clean.

I have confirmed that the engine runs for longer when cold, the fault
could be temperature related.

When the emgine 'stops' it can be 10-20 mins before it will start again,
however, If I disconnect & reconnect the battery it'll start straight
away, I'm starting to suspect it is an ECU problem maybe associated with a
sensor fault but probably not wiring.

Old February 6th 05, 07:17 PM
Catman

johnafish wrote:

> Where is / what is the cam position sensor?
>
> I've pretty much eliminated the fuel supply as the problem, fuel pump is
> working fine, filter is clean.
>
> I have confirmed that the engine runs for longer when cold, the fault
> could be temperature related.
>
> When the emgine 'stops' it can be 10-20 mins before it will start again,
> however, If I disconnect & reconnect the battery it'll start straight
> away, I'm starting to suspect it is an ECU problem maybe associated with a
> sensor fault but probably not wiring.

That certainly sounds logical
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk