Indy 500?

Old May 27th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default Indy 500?

For the 91st time the Indianapolis 500 is being run w/o one single
Miata being entered! Obviously the promoters of the race are being
very unfair, next year I think I'll put a cold air intake and racing
tires on my 1992 and enter.

Meanwhile, I'm rooting for Danica Patrick, she's a local girl and she's
got far and away the best pair of legs in the race...

Old May 27th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

XS11E wrote:
> For the 91st time the Indianapolis 500 is being run w/o one single
> Miata being entered! Obviously the promoters of the race are being
> very unfair, next year I think I'll put a cold air intake and racing
> tires on my 1992 and enter.

Be sure to advance your timing 4 degrees as well, they won't stand a chance.

> Meanwhile, I'm rooting for Danica Patrick, she's a local girl and she's
> got far and away the best pair of legs in the race...

Not to mention a fantastic last name. She gets my vote for just about
anything......Did you say she races cars? ;-)

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/images/peak13.jpg

Pat

Old May 27th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

That's what it takes in a long race! I'll root for her.

Chris
99BBB

.. .

Old May 28th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-05-27, XS11E > wrote:

> For the 91st time the Indianapolis 500 is being run w/o one single
> Miata being entered! Obviously the promoters of the race are being
> very unfair, next year I think I'll put a cold air intake and racing
> tires on my 1992 and enter.
>
> Meanwhile, I'm rooting for Danica Patrick, she's a local girl and she's
> got far and away the best pair of legs in the race...

Shes cute, but I'm going to have to cheer for the Linux
sponsored car. Though I don't remember off the top of my head
which one that is...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Do you like "TENDER
at VITTLES"?
Old May 28th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Grant Edwards > wrote:

> Shes cute, but I'm going to have to cheer for the Linux
> sponsored car.

Is that the one at which the starter kept waving the "Get A Life" flag?
:-)

It was a freaky race, but fast, competitive, and excellent overall. The
most fun Indy to watch in recent memory. No more Indy Rookie League
follies. I tried watching the NASCAR race afterward, but in comparison
they looked like drunk hillbilly geezers in golf carts.
Old May 28th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> Shes cute, but I'm going to have to cheer for the Linux sponsored
>> car.

> Is that the one at which the starter kept waving the "Get A Life"
> flag?
>:-)
>
> It was a freaky race, but fast, competitive, and excellent
> overall. The most fun Indy to watch in recent memory.

And probably the most controversial.

Questions: Should it have been restarted knowing it would start raining
again? Should it have been run in the first place, given the weather
report?

Should the interest of the spectators and TV audience be given
precedence over the safety of the drivers? We all know it is, question
is should it be? They could easily have killed a couple of people on
that track, only pure luck and some pretty amazing car design prevented
multiple tragedies....

Personally, I watched the Arizona Diamondbacks complete their 3 game
sweep of the Houston Astros, to me it was much more interesting.

Old May 28th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2007-05-28, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
> Grant Edwards > wrote:
>
>> Shes cute, but I'm going to have to cheer for the Linux
>> sponsored car.

> Is that the one at which the starter kept waving the "Get A
> Life" flag? :-)

I don't know, I don't watch sports on TV. The weather was
nice, so I was out doing stuff.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. I must be a
at VETERINARIAN...
Old May 28th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> Questions: Should it have been restarted knowing it would start raining
> again? Should it have been run in the first place, given the weather
> report?

Of course. It was uncertain when the rain would resume, and the more
laps completed, the more valid and less controversial the results. The
fans, almost none of whom seemed to have left early, wanted to see
racing. Only one driver would have been content to quit at the first
rain. IMHO, the decisions, both restart and checker, were appropriate.
This is Indy, not some SCCA regional amateur event. Everyone's job was
to produce a world-class race. And they did.

> Should the interest of the spectators and TV audience be given
> precedence over the safety of the drivers? We all know it is, question
> is should it be? They could easily have killed a couple of people on
> that track, only pure luck and some pretty amazing car design prevented
> multiple tragedies....

I assume you mean racing in general, since the rain had nothing to do
with your point. When racing is too dangerous, professional drivers walk
out, spectators be damned. They're adults, they know the risks, and
drivers have voted with their feet in the past when the risks were
unacceptable. They came to race, not to whine (even Michael Andretti
this time). If they didn't get off on going fast, they'd be florists or
something.
Old May 28th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

> In article >,
> XS11E > wrote:
>
>> Questions: Should it have been restarted knowing it would start
>> raining again? Should it have been run in the first place, given
>> the weather report?

> This is Indy, not some SCCA regional amateur event. Everyone's job
> was to produce a world-class race. And they did.

That's open to argument, to me it seemed totally bush league.

>> Should the interest of the spectators and TV audience be given
>> precedence over the safety of the drivers? We all know it is,
>> question is should it be? They could easily have killed a couple
>> of people on that track, only pure luck and some pretty amazing
>> car design prevented multiple tragedies....

> I assume you mean racing in general, since the rain had nothing to
> do with your point.

Actually it did in this case.

> When racing is too dangerous, professional drivers walk out,
> spectators be damned. They're adults, they know the risks, and
> drivers have voted with their feet in the past when the risks were
> unacceptable.

That's happened before a race, I've never seen or heard of it happening
after the race is started.

Old May 28th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

I tried watching the NASCAR race afterward, but in comparison
> they looked like drunk hillbilly geezers in golf carts.

Oh, nobody told you? ..............IT WAS!

Chris
99BBB