Head Set - 98 SL2 - For $85 ?!

Old April 5th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Head Set - 98 SL2 - For $85 ?!

Greetings,

My 98 SL2 has been eating coolant and oil recently and after
replacing the radiator, I found oil in the coolant. I've decided to do
the head gasket repair myself and I received a $84.99 quote from
AutoZone on a head set.

I need some help to confirm all of the parts that I should expect
in the kit. These are the parts that I'm familar with:

Head gasket
Valve gasket
Intake gasket
Bolts

Is there anything else that should be included in the kit? Is $85
too good to be true? I'm figuring it might just include the gasket and
the bolts.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the group and its help.

- Michael

Old April 5th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I believe that it is suggested that the coolant resorvoir, thermostat, and
some various coolant hoses/seals be replaced also since the oil that got
into the cooling system contaminates them and can continue to degrade them.
Not sure on all the parts involved. You may want to pick up a Haynes or
Chilton manual for the car and see if they mention it. If not, a polite
call to the service department at your local Saturn dealer may answer that
question.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old April 8th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I would also strongly recommend having the head planed (milled) to make sure
it is perfectly flat. Often, when a head gasket goes, it's because of
irregularities in the head's surface. It will be money well spent.

oups.com...

Old April 8th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I often wondered about this.

Is there a spec that says just how much you CAN hone off of a head?

I mean there are values that have to move into the head space that you need
to maintain clearance on (between piston head and value at the maximum of
the exhaust stroke) so where are they listed.

Old April 8th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

You think its warped? You do not remove material from a "OHC/DOHC" Head.
You will screw up enigne timing if you do. You heat the head up and
torque it to a large iron plate designed for that head to straighten it
and allow it to cool.

In article >,
says...

Old April 8th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Ray Cassick (Home)" > wrote in message
news
> Is there a spec that says just how much you CAN hone off of a head?

Yes, there is. You can find it in a Haynes/Chilton manual, or the factory
service manual for the vehicle.

"blah blah" > wrote in message
> You think its warped? You do not remove material from a "OHC/DOHC" Head.
> You will screw up enigne timing if you do.

Uh, did you just make that up? You most certainly can remove material from
the head, and the factory publishes a spec for it in the factory service
manual. It does not adversely affect the timing.