4.0 main bearing bolt size question

Old August 12th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default 4.0 main bearing bolt size question

Hi all

I am trying to change the rear main seal in my 1997 4.0 Jeep Grand
Cherokee. I have been pretty much over my head in the whole project.

In trying to remove the main cap, my 13/16 socket seems too big, and my
20mm socket won't fit on the main bearing bolt.

Does anyone know what size these are? At first, I thought the 20mm
socket just needed to be deeper so I just got back from the store with
a deep socket and it doesn't fit on either.

I do not have a factory manual.

Thanks in advance.
Doug

Old August 12th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jo Bo

You could measure across the flats. It's a SEA (inch) engine. The next
smaller from 13/16 is a 3/4"

JoBo

ps.com...

Old August 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
reconair

I don't think you have to remove the main bearing cap. I've replaced the
rear main seal in my 91 YJ and never had to remove the bearing cap. I don't
think the GCs are much different in that respect.

Scott
ps.com...

Old August 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I really hope it wasn't just your valve cover leaking down the back
imitating a bad seal. You can tell by running a clean rag across the
back of the head. If it comes out wet with oil....

My main's use a 13/16 wrench. It has a 'slight' amount of play when
fitted.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 12th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

That would be a trick I would like to see.....

The seal is fitted 'under' the rear main bearing cap in 2 halves....

Mike

Old August 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

He's got it tangled up with Japanese engines, which are nothing
more that glorified motorcycles
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 13th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
reconair

My bad, your right, I forgot.

Scott

Bolt size? 83 CJ Jeep 1 September 19th 05 07:58 PM
C-4 Rear Bearing Hub Question Don B. Corvette 6 October 6th 04 03:30 PM
Suzuki Samurai/ 4x4 Hubs? Front wheel Bearing Question xyzzy 4x4 2 January 24th 04 04:48 AM