TJ Door frames - stupid newbie question

Old July 16th 05, 05:39 PM

Default TJ Door frames - stupid newbie question

Hey guys,

Got my first TJ about a month ago... 2004 model, soft top with half
doors. Of course, since then we've had the second rainiest June on
record here in Central Florida, and July ain't looking much better
(grumble grumble). So we've just been taking the top down on the
weekend, putting it back up Sunday night since I need to drive it to
work and it rains every day around 4PM.

I got a Clover Patch for the rear & side windows, and I've been putting
the door frames under it (strapped down just in case). I wanted to have
as much as possible with me in case an unexpected shower came up.

So yesterday my wife asked, "Why do we take the door frames off?
They're the last thing we take off, and the first thing to go back
on..." I couldn't think of a good answer, other than "That's what the
video says to do." We took the top down this morning and left them on,
and I don't see any difference. Is it just a "looks" thing? I'm just
thinking if there is a sudden storm, that's one less step (or two if
you're alone).

Is there any problem with leaving them on with the top down?

thanks,

Garg

Old July 16th 05, 05:42 PM
IsellJeeps

nothing wrong with leaving them on but it only takes 1 minute to put them
both on???

oups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 06:09 PM
Earle Horton

It's your Jeep. You can do anything you want with it.

(But don't tow a big boat, convert it to diesel, try to jump five feet in
the air, or run anything but R134a in the AC.)

Earle

oups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 06:23 PM

That depends on how well I've strapped them down... :-)

With the rains we've had lately (signs posted that say "Road under
water") and our inexperience with getting the top up fast, it is one
less step. Once we've got more used to it, it probably won't be a big
deal.

thanks,

Garg

Old July 16th 05, 07:06 PM

Yeah, I just didn't want to have the top start leaking or something,
and have somebody say, "Ya MOE-ron! Ya drove it with the top down and
the the frames on, didn'cha?!!" :-)

Garg

Old July 16th 05, 07:36 PM
Dave Milne

Hell, Earle, that's killed the conversation :-)

Dave

Old July 17th 05, 05:44 PM
Eric

I bought my TJ used and didn't see a video. I've only taken the surrounds
off once. Really didn't see the point. That, and my CB mount it now bolted
through the front hole in the surrounds where one of the screws went
through. So I'd have to wrench it on and off every time...

Eric
oups.com...

Old July 17th 05, 05:51 PM
Jerry Bransford

I take mine off each time just because at least to me, they look pretty
lame when the top is off. I just think the Jeep looks better without
the door surrounds when the top is off.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 17th 05, 07:58 PM
thomas

In addition to all that, they are easy to remove. If it ain't nailed
down, someone will steal it...if for no other reason than to pitch 'em
over the nearest fence.

Jerry Bransford wrote:

> I take mine off each time just because at least to me, they look pretty
> lame when the top is off. I just think the Jeep looks better without
> the door surrounds when the top is off.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)

Stupid (physics/mecanical) wheel mounting question... John D via CarKB.com Technology 7 June 19th 05 07:16 PM
A BMW "Newbie" Question ... amorg7777 BMW 6 May 17th 05 07:41 PM
newbie question flatfoot2 Jeep 19 February 21st 05 08:47 PM
Silly newbie question - removing wheel nut covers Grunff BMW 14 January 22nd 05 10:26 PM
Stupid question (was Changing the oil filter only) Bill F Technology 20 January 18th 05 10:57 PM