How does GT5 Prologue stack up as race sim?

Old April 15th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

Default How does GT5 Prologue stack up as race sim?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new GT5 Prologue game for the
PS3 and how it rates as a realistic sim? I saw a review about it on a
TV program that reviews games, but both reviewers are hard core gamers
and not really into race driving. I don't have a PS3 so I'm not
looking at buying it, but after seeing the review I thought I would
ask the question to this group. The graphics look quite impressive but
I'm guessing it doesn't go much further than that in realism? I say
that because Sony probably want to make it as "user friendly" as
possible so they sell more units than Forza 2.

Regards,
Mike.
Old April 15th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Mr T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has tried the new GT5 Prologue game for the
> PS3 and how it rates as a realistic sim? I saw a review about it on a
> TV program that reviews games, but both reviewers are hard core gamers
> and not really into race driving. I don't have a PS3 so I'm not
> looking at buying it, but after seeing the review I thought I would
> ask the question to this group. The graphics look quite impressive but
> I'm guessing it doesn't go much further than that in realism? I say
> that because Sony probably want to make it as "user friendly" as
> possible so they sell more units than Forza 2.
>
> Regards,
> Mike.

I wrote a small article on GT5P from a sim racers perspective on
RaceSimCentral:

http://tinyurl.com/5gh6f5

Cheers
Tony

Old April 15th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rat River Cemetary

Mr T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has tried the new GT5 Prologue game for the
> PS3 and how it rates as a realistic sim? I saw a review about it on a
> TV program that reviews games, but both reviewers are hard core gamers
> and not really into race driving. I don't have a PS3 so I'm not
> looking at buying it, but after seeing the review I thought I would
> ask the question to this group. The graphics look quite impressive but
> I'm guessing it doesn't go much further than that in realism? I say
> that because Sony probably want to make it as "user friendly" as
> possible so they sell more units than Forza 2.
>
> Regards,
> Mike.

I tried the demo and it was ok but had no proper cockpit view and I have
no wheel for the PS3 so can't really judge the physics very well using a
game pad. It seemed fun and looked good but not something I would buy as
I am a PC sim racer.
Old April 15th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Rat River Cemetary wrote:

> I tried the demo and it was ok but had no proper cockpit view and I have
> no wheel for the PS3 so can't really judge the physics very well using a
> game pad.

The cockpits in Prologue are pretty good:

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/.../1316_0003.jpg

Though its console roots show in the hud that can't be turned off.

It supports the G25 with 900 degree rotation and FFB (albeit rather weak)

> It seemed fun and looked good but not something I would buy as
> I am a PC sim racer.

I guess if you are a PC racer and have a G25 or DFP and have another
reason to have a PS3 (e.g kids!) then it worth a go. I wouldn't go and
buy a PS3 and G25 for GT5 based on Prologue though. With weak AI and
online taking me back to my 56k modem days on a bad day it becomes a
track day sim. It is great for watching replays of yourself though!

Cheers
Tony
Old April 16th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim O[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 02:00:49 -0700 (PDT), Mr T >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just wondering if anyone has tried the new GT5 Prologue game for the
>PS3 and how it rates as a realistic sim? I saw a review about it on a
>TV program that reviews games, but both reviewers are hard core gamers
>and not really into race driving. I don't have a PS3 so I'm not
>looking at buying it, but after seeing the review I thought I would
>ask the question to this group. The graphics look quite impressive but
>I'm guessing it doesn't go much further than that in realism? I say
>that because Sony probably want to make it as "user friendly" as
>possible so they sell more units than Forza 2.
>
>Regards,
>Mike.

I don't have a PS3, but saw there is a Codemasters game called Grid
that appears to be along the same lines as GT5. The movie they just
released makes some of it look arcadey, but the car movement and
cockpit views in some of the cars also looks pretty cool.

www.grid-game.com

Tim
Old April 17th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rat River Cemetary

Tony R wrote:

> The cockpits in Prologue are pretty good:
>
> http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/.../1316_0003.jpg

I don't remember a cockpit like that. All I had was a hud and the road
in front of me. Guess I missed the option but I didn't spend too long
with it anyway. Just a few laps and that was enough for me to see it was
not my kind of game. I haven't liked one racing game yet on either the
PS3 or 360 and I am not buying a new wheel for the PS3 when my MS FFB
still works great in all the PC sims I have.
Old April 17th 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mr T

On Apr 17, 10:22*am, Rat River Cemetary > wrote:
> Tony R wrote:
>
> I haven't liked one racing game yet on either the
> PS3 or 360 and I am not buying a new wheel for the PS3 when my MS FFB
> still works great in all the PC sims I have.

One thing I really like about PCs as opposed to consoles (apart from
the fact PC racers tend to be more realistic) is that there is much
more of a sense of community. Although the main PC game manufacturers
might not be into open source etc., they seem to encourage mods
(rFactor especially) and that gives you so much more variety. OK, it
also means you're going to get some horrible mods in the mix, but
you'll also get some stunning mods. I've never liked how companies
(like Microsoft) take such strong control over software content. With
consoles it seems the big companies have regained that control and are
repressing user creativity. A while ago I was looking at upgrading to
a newer console (from my old Xbox), but now I think I'll concentrate
on upgrading my PC instead ... even if the full GT5 ends up being the
most realistic game ever (well, you never know).

Mike T.
Old April 17th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Rat River Cemetary wrote:
> Tony R wrote:

>> The cockpits in Prologue are pretty good:
>>
>> http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/.../1316_0003.jpg

> I don't remember a cockpit like that. All I had was a hud and the road
> in front of me. Guess I missed the option but I didn't spend too long
> with it anyway. Just a few laps and that was enough for me to see it was
> not my kind of game. I haven't liked one racing game yet on either the
> PS3 or 360 and I am not buying a new wheel for the PS3 when my MS FFB
> still works great in all the PC sims I have.

GT:HD which was the demo before the demo of the, er, demo of GT5 which
is GT5P had no cockpit, so it may have been this one.

It really does work surprisingly well with a wheel. I thought it may be
designed for a gamepad controller and the wheel was token support but it
works so much better with a wheel. I can't really comprehend driving
with a gamepad so I would dismiss any driving game using that
controller. The two experiences can't really be compared.

Having said that I wouldn't go buying hardware to run GT5P. If you have
it then it is a worthwhile distraction, but it is someway from PC racing
sims. Of course it will sell in droves and G25s are a popular choice for
PS3 GT drivers (remember the forerunner DFP was a PS2 wheel that could
be used for a PC by downloading drivers).

The numbers of console racers with G25s may help swell PC sim racer
numbers though, rather than the other way around...

Cheers
Tony
Old April 18th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Rat River Cemetary

Tony R wrote:

> GT:HD which was the demo before the demo of the, er, demo of GT5 which
> is GT5P had no cockpit, so it may have been this one.

Yea, I think you are right and it is the GT:HD demo I played.
Old April 19th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andre Warringa

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:06:13 GMT, Rat River Cemetary >
wrote:

>Tony R wrote:
>
>> GT:HD which was the demo before the demo of the, er, demo of GT5 which
>> is GT5P had no cockpit, so it may have been this one.

>Yea, I think you are right and it is the GT:HD demo I played.

Just wanna add that I'm having a blast with Prologue. Physics have
been improved a lot, each car really does handle totally different.
What spoiled GT4 totally for me was the ridiculous AI and that there
was a max of 6 cars in a race (If I rember correctly..).
The AI is still not as good as it could be, but at least it's decent
now, and the number of cars in a race has been improved. Not sure what
the max is now.. 16 I believe?

Anyway, the concept of earning money by winning races and buying new
cars remains great imho, for a console racer it's terrific fun.

Only problem I (and many others) have: I can't download the update. It
starts, but after downloading for a while I get an 'could not load
update' error. Tried at least 40 times. Seems the servers are a tad
overloaded

Cheers
Andre