Pacejka magic formula, longitudinal force and slip ratio

Old April 4th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
speedmd

Default Pacejka magic formula, longitudinal force and slip ratio

Jeff:

I think most of our locking of horns stems from you addressing things
from a roadholding (what the tires can transmit to the road) issue,
whereas I was presenting it from a driving torque issue (i.e. when are
the tires least likely to develop the high rates of slip that caused
Benoit's orignal concern).

>Ok, I was getting a bit carried away with the specific details of F1
>race cars. In some cases, 1st gear is "undergeared" so the cars can
>exit pits, but 2nd gear is "better" once the car is moving

Brings to mind a story from Jackie Stewart's old book ("Faster!"?)
where he and Ken Tyrrel hit upon using a high first gear that they
thought would be ideal for the chicanes installed at Monza, I think,
but didn't practice a start with it on full tanks, and ended up being
done at the drop of the green flag...

I suppose I was a bit quick to have flashbacks of bygone days at the
Papy forums. Could be worse; I could tell folks I won't share my
ARCA sim setups with them and REALLY get the **** kicked out of me.

speedmd
Old April 4th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 11:21*pm, speedmd > wrote:
> I suppose I was a bit quick to have flashbacks of bygone days at the
> Papy forums. *Could be worse; *I could tell folks I won't share my
> ARCA sim setups with them and REALLY get the **** kicked out of me.

I really don't mind being kicked around if it brings some action to
RAS

Pat Dotson
Old April 9th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Maximilien

Default A

Todd Wasson a écrit :
> A relaxation length addition to Pacejka's Magic Model solves it nicely
> enough too. When I was playing with those models I didn't really know
> all that much about tires and never got the approach to work. Since
> I've not used it forever there isn't any reason to go back and make it
> work, but anyone using the Magic Model should definitely look into
> it. It's one of those big problems every sim guy runs into, often
> unexpectedly.

Yeah, I just got myself a copy of SAE950311 on the subject. Still
missing Milliken&Milliken's bible though.

So all in all, I'm convinced now, and I have learned something, so I'm
happy :-)

Thanks,

Benoit.
Old April 11th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

> Yeah, I just got myself a copy of SAE950311 on the subject. Still
> missing Milliken&Milliken's bible though.

amazon.com, or direct from the SAE. It ain't cheap no matter where you
buy it, though.

speedmd
Old April 12th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Todd Wasson

On Apr 10, 6:44�pm, wrote:
> > Yeah, I just got myself a copy of SAE950311 on the subject. Still
> > missing Milliken&Milliken's bible though.

> amazon.com, or direct from the SAE. It ain't cheap no matter where you
> buy it, though.
>
> speedmd

My copy is signed by Mario Andretti and Doug Milliken. Whoot! :-)
Old April 12th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
[email protected]

> My copy is signed by Mario Andretti and Doug Milliken. *Whoot! :-)

We had Doug in the shop a few years back, and he signed the team
owner's copy, but I didn't think to have him sign mine.

speedmd