Best current F1 sim?

Old March 22nd 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Default Best current F1 sim?

Well there are certainly some SUPERB meals available for rFactor.
( Of course I don't even understand someone that complains about too many
choices. )
But -

I don't care for dirt racing or oval racing (show-business-racing).
That sure doesn't stop me from racing in multiple 79 mod leagues!!
It doesn't stop me from having a blast racing the 'preview' CSGT mod!
It doesn't stop me.... oh nevermind... don't want to put to many 'options'
here and confuse or frustrate anyone

==--==

ddress_disguised...

Old March 22nd 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Darus

On Mar 22, 2:35*am, (Andrew
MacPherson) wrote:
> (Ronald Stoehr) wrote:
> > If they offer 20 different meals, you'll rather eat
> > somewhere else, right?

> I'd rather have no choice at all, and a *superb* meal, than lots of
> choice and little satisfaction. :-)
>
> Andrew McP

Hmmm...interesting.

If you have no choice at all, what happens if it is not to your
liking? It may be the most superbly prepared meal in history of
cooking, but if you don't like it, then how good is it really, to you?

For example, if the most exacting physics model for drag racing on a
PC was released as a mod for rF and its performance was documented as
99% accurate by verifiable sources, I still wouldn't give it the time
of day as I find drag racing an amazing bore. However, if presented
with an 85% accurate mod of stock cars, I would download and try it
without reservation.

Choice is good.
Old March 22nd 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Darus wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2:35 am, (Andrew
> MacPherson) wrote:
>> (Ronald Stoehr) wrote:
>>> If they offer 20 different meals, you'll rather eat
>>> somewhere else, right?

>> I'd rather have no choice at all, and a *superb* meal, than lots of
>> choice and little satisfaction. :-)
>>
>> Andrew McP

> Hmmm...interesting.
>
> If you have no choice at all, what happens if it is not to your
> liking? It may be the most superbly prepared meal in history of
> cooking, but if you don't like it, then how good is it really, to you?
>
> For example, if the most exacting physics model for drag racing on a
> PC was released as a mod for rF and its performance was documented as
> 99% accurate by verifiable sources, I still wouldn't give it the time
> of day as I find drag racing an amazing bore. However, if presented
> with an 85% accurate mod of stock cars, I would download and try it
> without reservation.
>
> Choice is good.

I should not have started with the restaurrants at all!
Your explanation why his rejection of choice is silly is a lot better
than mine...

l8er
ronny
Old March 22nd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Ronald Stoehr wrote:

> I should not have started with the restaurrants at all!
> Your explanation why his rejection of choice is silly is a lot better
> than mine...

Forgetting the restaurants, rejecting choice isn't necessarily silly.

As we know Multiplayer is diluted to the extent that pick up racing is
pretty much impossible. Whilst many leagues are successfully running
with rFactor, many have to deal with updates mid season and drivers
running in multiple leagues with varying versions and multiple installs
to avoid mismatches.

Offline the never ending stream of mods and update to mods mean that by
the time you have get to grips with a setup for the latest best ever
physics there is another version, or a new FFB setting or plug in.

This generates its own excitement with new material to drive on an
almost daily basis.

However, some yearn for the days of more stability which mimics reality
where a driver sticks with a car for at least a season and improves and
gets to know it it intimately.

Those who put the mileage in with GPL will understand this.

As usual there is no right answer, however, those looking for a return
to quality pick up racing as we often had in VROC/GPL before it got
fragmented by zillions of add on tracks will be watching what happens
with iRacing very closely and that maybe less is more...

Cheers
Tony
Old March 23rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
tango

personally, if i wanna race online nowadays without hassle,theres only one
choice,LFS.
Tango
Old March 23rd 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ronald Stoehr

Tony R wrote:
> Ronald Stoehr wrote:
>
>> I should not have started with the restaurrants at all!
>> Your explanation why his rejection of choice is silly is a lot better
>> than mine...

> Forgetting the restaurants, rejecting choice isn't necessarily silly.
>
> As we know Multiplayer is diluted to the extent that pick up racing is
> pretty much impossible. Whilst many leagues are successfully running
> with rFactor, many have to deal with updates mid season and drivers
> running in multiple leagues with varying versions and multiple installs
> to avoid mismatches.

Well, I already excluded MP, which seems to be hell with rF.
It was about the old tired general complaint about to much choice
in rF, that I just find silly.

> Offline the never ending stream of mods and update to mods mean that by
> the time you have get to grips with a setup for the latest best ever
> physics there is another version, or a new FFB setting or plug in.
>
> This generates its own excitement with new material to drive on an
> almost daily basis.
>
> However, some yearn for the days of more stability which mimics reality
> where a driver sticks with a car for at least a season and improves and
> gets to know it it intimately.

Easy solution: don't jump between mods every hour. You could even have
only one mod installed and pretend, there are no others!!!

> Those who put the mileage in with GPL will understand this.

Oh, I have lots of milage with rF SCCS. And the thought of 20 other mods
I COULD be driving instead doesn't drive me nuts... =8^O

l8er
ronny
Old March 24th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Backspace

PG wrote:
> Yep, the F1 season has just started again (Come on Lewis!) and rekindled
> my interest in F1 Sims, so...
>
> What is the best current F1 Sim?
>
> I already own several older versions, Microprose Grand Prix 2 & 3, EA F1
> 2000 & 2002, etc.
>
> I have a demo version of rFactor, but was not that impressed, and am not
> sure if there is a good F1 add on for it?
>
> Info would be appreciated, thanx...
>
> PJGTECH

Sony has the rights to F1 now so you can forget finding a good current
F1 sim.
Old March 24th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Backspace

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:
> Here's the download URL for the 2008 mod I memtioned earlier:
>
> ftp://ftp.szasztv.hu/szasztv.hu/F1RF..._Basicpack.exe
>
> Cheers, uwe

6.0kb/s on broadband?! Thanks, but no thanks.
Old March 31st 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
john

yeah.....
________
Used Car Donation
Car and Autos Zone
http://www.zone-car.com

Thoughts on current-era VWs? Andrew Sullivan VW water cooled 7 October 12th 07 04:55 PM
Current Book GentleRF Mazda 0 February 8th 07 06:03 PM
Current Book w Mazda 0 February 8th 07 08:55 AM
Is the ESI-687 a current probe or a DMM? John Courcoul Technology 3 November 14th 06 08:16 AM
E?? for current model M5 Branden Nelsen BMW 0 September 11th 05 04:16 PM