A Fishkeeping forum. FishKeepingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FishKeepingBanter.com forum » rec.aquaria.freshwater » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old April 18th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?


"swarvegorilla" wrote in message
...


Yes, he will outgrow the tank and yes he will produce far more waste than
you want to deal with in there..
The rainbow shark will also prob get a bit aggro.



Mine is in a 20, he is now 8 inches long and too big to hide in his cave.
Lays sideways to fit. I have two people who wants him. One with 100 and one
with a 55. But he has to go, more for the fish's sake than anything. He is
now longer than half the depth and width of the tank.


  #22  
Old April 18th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?

Yes but new import here.... then they banned them again! then they let
them back in a few months ago.
A cheap price to pay for a 5cm is about $60 oz
Zebra plecs are a lot lot more



"Koi-Lo" wrote in message
...

"swarvegorilla" wrote in message
u...
Some good
stuff to be had but a lot is very expensive.
clown plec for example is a poor substitute for a zebra plec, but they
are expensive little buggers they are!!

===================
My clown plecos were only $2 more than the regular plecos.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Aquarium FAQ are at: http://faq.thekrib.com/
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o






  #23  
Old April 18th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?


"Altum" wrote in message
om...
Koi-Lo wrote:

I haven't seen one these in years, at any price.


Bummer. There are folks in town here who breed albino bushy noses. I can
get them on auction for $8-10. Cool looking fish.


bushynose = bristlenose?
ye old ancistrus dolichopterus?
I breed these by the hundred. $1 a cm. Although lately I just trade for
food.
Like feeding me fish good food but I don't enjoy buying it.


  #24  
Old April 18th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:06:02 +1000, "swarvegorilla"
wrote:


"Altum" wrote in message
. com...
Koi-Lo wrote:

I haven't seen one these in years, at any price.


Bummer. There are folks in town here who breed albino bushy noses. I can
get them on auction for $8-10. Cool looking fish.


bushynose = bristlenose?
ye old ancistrus dolichopterus?
I breed these by the hundred. $1 a cm. Although lately I just trade for
food.
Like feeding me fish good food but I don't enjoy buying it.

I like that method of pricing. Makes good sense. I'll keep it in mind
when I get around to dickering price with lfs in the future. It's
going to be a while, however, because bushy bristle ancistrus have
become scarce around here in recent months. I have a couple of
handsome males, just waiting at the entrance to the cave, but no
females to join them for a romantic evening. (To clarify before
someone comments, the males are in separate aquariums.)

-- Mister Gardener

Everything Aquaria & Tropical Fish at The Krib:
http://www.thekrib.com/
For Killfile FAQs visit
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/killfilefaq.htm
  #25  
Old April 18th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?

swarvegorilla wrote:
"Altum" wrote in message
om...
Koi-Lo wrote:

I haven't seen one these in years, at any price.

Bummer. There are folks in town here who breed albino bushy noses. I can
get them on auction for $8-10. Cool looking fish.


bushynose = bristlenose?
ye old ancistrus dolichopterus?


Yep. That's the fish.

I breed these by the hundred. $1 a cm. Although lately I just trade for
food.
Like feeding me fish good food but I don't enjoy buying it.


I usually trade plants for food. Mosses are surprisingly valuable and
easy to grow.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
  #26  
Old April 18th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:59:57 GMT, Altum
wrote:

swarvegorilla wrote:
"Altum" wrote in message
om...
Koi-Lo wrote:

I haven't seen one these in years, at any price.
Bummer. There are folks in town here who breed albino bushy noses. I can
get them on auction for $8-10. Cool looking fish.


bushynose = bristlenose?
ye old ancistrus dolichopterus?


Yep. That's the fish.

I breed these by the hundred. $1 a cm. Although lately I just trade for
food.
Like feeding me fish good food but I don't enjoy buying it.


I usually trade plants for food. Mosses are surprisingly valuable and
easy to grow.


The fuel crisis may be giving a helping hand to home breeders. I was
talking with my lfs today and he was telling me about the price
increases he is dealing with every time he gets a new order of fish.
He said the big fish farms have been holding the prices down fairly
well so far, but the network of middle people involved in bringing
live caught fish to the distributors has been adding on some
outrageous increases. Quite a number of common fish are still live
caught, including the hatchet fish I bought this week and many bushy
nosed ancistrus. Hometown breeders provide an economical alternative
and are becoming more in demand around here with each new increase of
fuel prices. He said price hikes have recently forced him to change
suppliers for his marine fish, worse than the live caught freshwater
suppliers.

-- Mister Gardener
  #27  
Old April 18th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?

On 18 Apr 2006 13:57:23 -0700, "Adam"
wrote:

Regional differences must make a huge impact as well (speaking to Mr.
Gardner's comment on home breeders). After doing some reading on Zebra
Plecos, it seems one could make a killing if they could get a viable
breeding pair. I checked out a different lfs last night that had some
great cats (fish) and zebra (plecos) came up. He claimed that he could
get them well under the $100 per fry that they seem to be going for on
fish auction web sites. I have also seen bushy/bristle the last few
times I have been shopping here in New England.


We've discussed previously the increasing number of bushy noses that
are arriving with health problems. My lfs told me that his supplier
informed him he's not going to be getting any for a while, until he
starts seeing healthier fish coming through. This particular supplier
services all of the fish sellers in this region, so for now, they are
not available in Northern New England - except those that the big box
stores may be bringing in from their own distributors. I wasn't sure
if I was asking for trade secrets when I asked him if there are
numerous suppliers or if all of his competitors get their fish from
the same place. His answer was same place. He said the biggies like
Petco have their own suppliers, several main distribution points set
up across the country, keeping their costs down by purchasing in mega
quantities and having them delivered to just a handful of distribution
centers. I enjoy picking my lfs' brain and trying to learn as much as
I can about the supply and distribution system; I'm interested in what
comes from where, Asian fish farms, Florida farms, and wild caught.
A reliable home breeder of any number of different species could pick
up some nice change linking up with a couple of mom and pop stores.

-- Mister Gardener
  #28  
Old April 20th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?


"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
...
On 18 Apr 2006 13:57:23 -0700, "Adam"
wrote:

Regional differences must make a huge impact as well (speaking to Mr.
Gardner's comment on home breeders). After doing some reading on Zebra
Plecos, it seems one could make a killing if they could get a viable
breeding pair. I checked out a different lfs last night that had some
great cats (fish) and zebra (plecos) came up. He claimed that he could
get them well under the $100 per fry that they seem to be going for on
fish auction web sites. I have also seen bushy/bristle the last few
times I have been shopping here in New England.


We've discussed previously the increasing number of bushy noses that
are arriving with health problems. My lfs told me that his supplier
informed him he's not going to be getting any for a while, until he
starts seeing healthier fish coming through. This particular supplier
services all of the fish sellers in this region, so for now, they are
not available in Northern New England - except those that the big box
stores may be bringing in from their own distributors. I wasn't sure
if I was asking for trade secrets when I asked him if there are
numerous suppliers or if all of his competitors get their fish from
the same place. His answer was same place. He said the biggies like
Petco have their own suppliers, several main distribution points set
up across the country, keeping their costs down by purchasing in mega
quantities and having them delivered to just a handful of distribution
centers. I enjoy picking my lfs' brain and trying to learn as much as
I can about the supply and distribution system; I'm interested in what
comes from where, Asian fish farms, Florida farms, and wild caught.
A reliable home breeder of any number of different species could pick
up some nice change linking up with a couple of mom and pop stores.

-- Mister Gardener



Every country has lots of wholesalers.
I mean **** I'm in backwards Oz and I buy from 4 freshwater wholesalers and
2 marine.
If theres a drought on bristlys you should definitely start breedint them.
Bloody easy dude, doesn't have to be pretty either.
Could make ya some good cash, they can go in almost any tank and sell better
than guppys even.


  #29  
Old April 20th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:44:33 +1000, "swarvegorilla"
wrote:


"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
.. .
On 18 Apr 2006 13:57:23 -0700, "Adam"
wrote:

Regional differences must make a huge impact as well (speaking to Mr.
Gardner's comment on home breeders). After doing some reading on Zebra
Plecos, it seems one could make a killing if they could get a viable
breeding pair. I checked out a different lfs last night that had some
great cats (fish) and zebra (plecos) came up. He claimed that he could
get them well under the $100 per fry that they seem to be going for on
fish auction web sites. I have also seen bushy/bristle the last few
times I have been shopping here in New England.


We've discussed previously the increasing number of bushy noses that
are arriving with health problems. My lfs told me that his supplier
informed him he's not going to be getting any for a while, until he
starts seeing healthier fish coming through. This particular supplier
services all of the fish sellers in this region, so for now, they are
not available in Northern New England - except those that the big box
stores may be bringing in from their own distributors. I wasn't sure
if I was asking for trade secrets when I asked him if there are
numerous suppliers or if all of his competitors get their fish from
the same place. His answer was same place. He said the biggies like
Petco have their own suppliers, several main distribution points set
up across the country, keeping their costs down by purchasing in mega
quantities and having them delivered to just a handful of distribution
centers. I enjoy picking my lfs' brain and trying to learn as much as
I can about the supply and distribution system; I'm interested in what
comes from where, Asian fish farms, Florida farms, and wild caught.
A reliable home breeder of any number of different species could pick
up some nice change linking up with a couple of mom and pop stores.

-- Mister Gardener



Every country has lots of wholesalers.
I mean **** I'm in backwards Oz and I buy from 4 freshwater wholesalers and
2 marine.
If theres a drought on bristlys you should definitely start breedint them.
Bloody easy dude, doesn't have to be pretty either.
Could make ya some good cash, they can go in almost any tank and sell better
than guppys even.

Yeah, I know. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for them. A year ago,
heck, a few months ago, there were everywhere, now all I am seeing is
"common pl*co" in all the stores. Wherever I go from here is a long
drive, and I've given up on telephoning shops. "Aunt Sister Who?"
"Bushy what." "Female Pleco, you've got to be kidding, Mister."

You are from down under, eh? I've read that you guys have some pretty
strict laws about what comes into and goes out of your country. Is it
as tight as they say? (I'm speaking of fish coming in and going out.)

-- Mister Gardener
  #30  
Old April 23rd 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Pelcos- Do they out grow tanks?


"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
...
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:44:33 +1000, "swarvegorilla"
wrote:


"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
. ..
On 18 Apr 2006 13:57:23 -0700, "Adam"
wrote:

Regional differences must make a huge impact as well (speaking to Mr.
Gardner's comment on home breeders). After doing some reading on Zebra
Plecos, it seems one could make a killing if they could get a viable
breeding pair. I checked out a different lfs last night that had some
great cats (fish) and zebra (plecos) came up. He claimed that he could
get them well under the $100 per fry that they seem to be going for on
fish auction web sites. I have also seen bushy/bristle the last few
times I have been shopping here in New England.

We've discussed previously the increasing number of bushy noses that
are arriving with health problems. My lfs told me that his supplier
informed him he's not going to be getting any for a while, until he
starts seeing healthier fish coming through. This particular supplier
services all of the fish sellers in this region, so for now, they are
not available in Northern New England - except those that the big box
stores may be bringing in from their own distributors. I wasn't sure
if I was asking for trade secrets when I asked him if there are
numerous suppliers or if all of his competitors get their fish from
the same place. His answer was same place. He said the biggies like
Petco have their own suppliers, several main distribution points set
up across the country, keeping their costs down by purchasing in mega
quantities and having them delivered to just a handful of distribution
centers. I enjoy picking my lfs' brain and trying to learn as much as
I can about the supply and distribution system; I'm interested in what
comes from where, Asian fish farms, Florida farms, and wild caught.
A reliable home breeder of any number of different species could pick
up some nice change linking up with a couple of mom and pop stores.

-- Mister Gardener



Every country has lots of wholesalers.
I mean **** I'm in backwards Oz and I buy from 4 freshwater wholesalers
and
2 marine.
If theres a drought on bristlys you should definitely start breedint them.
Bloody easy dude, doesn't have to be pretty either.
Could make ya some good cash, they can go in almost any tank and sell
better
than guppys even.

Yeah, I know. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for them. A year ago,
heck, a few months ago, there were everywhere, now all I am seeing is
"common pl*co" in all the stores. Wherever I go from here is a long
drive, and I've given up on telephoning shops. "Aunt Sister Who?"
"Bushy what." "Female Pleco, you've got to be kidding, Mister."

You are from down under, eh? I've read that you guys have some pretty
strict laws about what comes into and goes out of your country. Is it
as tight as they say? (I'm speaking of fish coming in and going out.)

-- Mister Gardener



Yea strict on many things but heck we have a fair amount of variety and as
long as people breed **** thats already here we should be right.
:-)
I mean we also have the great barrier reef to harvest so we get many marine
you guys would NEVER see. So evens out I recon.
:-)


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reasonable-priced CO2 tanks Far Thunder Plants 1 January 14th 06 05:56 PM
What does everyone have in their tanks???? Gill Passman General 37 November 14th 05 12:16 PM
Bare Bottom Tanks (Was: What freshwater tank-cleaning fish toleratesalt?) Rocco Moretti General 0 October 13th 05 08:25 PM
How to get CO2 for 55 gallon Sarah General 12 June 23rd 04 05:54 AM
Grow Gt..Grow!!! b. Cichlids 3 August 3rd 03 05:45 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 FishKeepingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.