What tools do I need?

Old September 16th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Default What tools do I need?

The bushings will normally have a *tiny* bit of play, that's where that 1
degree comes from.

Old September 17th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

One more thing before I start...

The rear adjustable track bar, should I be setting the rear end where it is
evenly under the jeep, as in the tires are both poking out the same distance
from the sides or am I straightening the driveshaft when viewed from below?
I notice that the pinion is a bit offset from center on the rear end and
dont know if too much angle there could be causing some vibes...

Oh I found an angle finder at home depot for $7.00, woohoo!

Troy

. ..

Old September 17th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Troy wrote:
> One more thing before I start...
>
> The rear adjustable track bar, should I be setting the rear end where
> it is evenly under the jeep, as in the tires are both poking out the
> same distance from the sides or am I straightening the driveshaft
> when viewed from below? I notice that the pinion is a bit offset from
> center on the rear end and dont know if too much angle there could be
> causing some vibes...

offset is fine, just as long as the angles are the same.

The control arms need to be riding properly with the vehicle on
level ground and a full fuel tank. I'd probably measure the axle
to frame at a couple of points then try to duplicate those with the
new track bar, but since your lifting it might be better to use a
plumb bob from a point on the frame to a mark on the axle. Remember
to mark with some tape or a pen should the plumb bob fall off. I
find a lead fishing weight and one of those powerful little magnets
work fine. Although you could just tape the line to the underside
or hang it off a frame member.

--
DougW

Old September 18th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Ok cool. I adjusted it today to pretty close, within 2 degrees of being
straight, and it felt a lot better. The only way I can tell something is
vibrating is when looking at the mirrors.

Eyeballing it, I was waaaay off! I don't know how I did it before but it
must have been one lucky guess.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will measure and check everything out tomorrow
and let ya'll know how it went.

Troy

MotorHead Tools MotorHead Corvette 0 April 12th 05 02:24 AM
MotorHead Tools MotorHead Dodge 0 April 12th 05 02:20 AM
degreasing old tools Brent P Technology 36 March 2nd 05 10:44 PM
What brand of tools favored by pros? Roger Sircar Chrysler 11 November 15th 04 03:50 PM
Audi Special tools ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 November 3rd 04 09:33 PM