1996, 138,000 mile honda odyssey with sudden oil leak

Old February 3rd 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 1996, 138,000 mile honda odyssey with sudden oil leak

Started the car this AM (0 degrees F) and went in the house for 5 min.
(I don't usually do that, but it was so cold.)
Returned to hear odd noise coming from the Odyssey and oil gushing
onto the ground.
Oil not all gone yet. A few seconds more and it would have been.
That's how much was coming out.
Stopped engine and left for 2 hours.
Returned, researched and observed.
Some oil had sprayed on the injectors and on the bottom of the cowl.
But most seems to have escaped from farther down somewhere on the back
of the engine - (firewall side).
Hoping the PCV valve was frozen and thawing it would stop the leaking,
decided to replace the oil.
No leaking visible so far.
Start the engine. Engine not making scary noise from earlier.
But maybe tapping louder than normal, hard to say.
After a couple minutes - snow melting on exhaust manifold cover - I
don't think it was right away - a steady stream of oil issued from 2
places at the back of the motor somewhere. Does not seem pressurized.
Each stream is little more than enough to run rather than drip .
Shut off, wait a few, start again, stream starts right away.
Pressurized crankcase?
Wait a few minutes. Repeat. Same result.
Leaks even with PCV valve removed, however.
What is likely to be leaking? Is it the front balancer shaft seal I
read about? The filter?
Thanks for any help!

Old February 4th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Feb 3, 6:51 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:1170544865.865250.64980
> @k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Started the car this AM (0 degrees F) and went in the house for 5 min.
> > (I don't usually do that, but it was so cold.)
> > Returned to hear odd noise coming from the Odyssey and oil gushing
> > onto the ground.
> > Oil not all gone yet. A few seconds more and it would have been.

> Check the oil filter. Bet it's burst its gasket.
>
> Is this an aftermarket filter?
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

I will. Thank you. I assume it is located on the side close to the
fire wall?
It's so cold I don't want to hunt any longer than necessary.

Old February 4th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Feb 3, 7:22 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:1170547824.086621.192670
> @m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Feb 3, 6:51 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> >> wrote in news:1170544865.865250.64980
> >> @k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> >> Check the oil filter. Bet it's burst its gasket.

> >> Is this an aftermarket filter?

> > I will. Thank you. I assume it is located on the side close to the
> > fire wall?
> > It's so cold I don't want to hunt any longer than necessary.

> It's on the firewall side of the block, just about in the middle. Ugly
> place, as you need to jack the car up and properly secure it on stands.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Thanks, sounds promising. Especially in light of these sent me off
line.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...+fil ter+leak

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...+fil ter+leak

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...threadid=21350

For a few. There are many other threads on the massive oil leak in the
95-98
Odyssey forum.